[SYANBS] Discussion thread for the Six-Year Australian Native Bonsai from Seed Competition

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: [SYANBS] Discussion thread for the Six-Year Australian Native Bonsai from Seed Competition

Post by Promethius »

Thanks to those sharing their seed sources.

I’ve used The Chakra Garden before - they don’t have everything, but their mail service was fast and the germination rate was good.
anthonycocco wrote: April 8th, 2024, 4:54 pmI am going to try the impossible and grow Nothofagus Gunnii
I’ve tried before but couldn’t get them to germinate. Good luck!

Dansai - fair points, maybe a stock comp will be in this forum’s future.
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: [SYANBS] Discussion thread for the Six-Year Australian Native Bonsai from Seed Competition

Post by Keels »

I'm going to use locally sourced callistemon seeds from my front yard. I have like three different varieties... little John, a purple flowering callistemon and a white flowering callistemon. :tu:
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

I've got a few varieties in mind of local species I want to have a crack at :idea:

I do like a good experiment, and this is a good excuse to start another one...
Deann
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Deann »

Gathered local seeds today, some sort of bottlebrush an she oak, both have potential. Also ordered some myrtle and paperback. I'm excited.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

I collected some local banksia cones from a friends property yesterday. They're just open a bit but the seed is still inside :fc: . Now for a bit of banksia germination research.
Thanks for the seed sources; I'm looking forward to delving into their catalogues.
anthonycocco wrote: April 8th, 2024, 4:54 pm I am going to try the impossible and grow Nothofagus Gunnii, Australia's only true deciduous native, in Melbourne for this competition. Ive sourced some seed from wildseed tasmania and some germination advice from Jarryd Bailey. Wish me luck!
I lived on the Tassie west coast for a while and loved exploring the forests. I'll have to give the Nothofagus Gunnii a try for old times sake even though I've not seen one "in the leaf".
And we know it wont stop there; I'll have my eye out and be collecting from now till June. (I can see this will get out of hand :lol:)
Now look what you've started, Promethius, :D
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Trimmy »

Sounds like a fun experiment. I'm in with the scatter gun approach because I don't know what I'm doing. I've purchased a bunch of different seeds also including Nothofagus Gunni, despite their reputation.
DaveZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by DaveZ »

Well I've made my choices, mostly :whistle:

I anticipate finding a few more species to add, then whittling a few out depending on germination rates and growth in the initial few months. I wouldn't mind adding another Leptospermum or two, but not much else. The solanum is not for the comp.

How's everyone else travelling?

Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Promethius »

Love it! I'll be excluding myself from any voting, but will be trying out some new species for the fun of it.

I found some rose she-oaks with seed pods at a nearby museum and have those in a paper bag drying out. I'll also be trying a local eucalypt species (candle bark / rubida, seeds from eBay) and maybe one other.

Andy
DaveZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by DaveZ »

Yes I definitely need to add a casuarina species to my list. I better get busy and clear some room on my benches :whistle:
Matt_W_NZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous - maples, broadleafs. Melaleucas. JRPs
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Victoria Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt_W_NZ »

I’m keen to join the fray to this one. I’ve ordered some L. laevigatum, L. glaucescens and some Melaleuca nesophila.

I’ve never grown these from seed before, is now ok in inner SE Melbourne? Any special treatment of these species required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt_W_NZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt_W_NZ »

Matt_W_NZ wrote:
I’ve never grown these from seed before, is now ok in inner SE Melbourne?
Just reviewed the rules and noted the 1 June kick off so will save my sowing till spring!
DaveZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by DaveZ »

Matt_W_NZ wrote: April 19th, 2024, 4:57 pm I’m keen to join the fray to this one. I’ve ordered some L. laevigatum, L. glaucescens and some Melaleuca nesophila.

I’ve never grown these from seed before, is now ok in inner SE Melbourne? Any special treatment of these species required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where did you get the glaucescens from Matt? It was the one species I had ordered that they couldn't supply.

Cheers,
Dave.
Matt_W_NZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt_W_NZ »

Hi Dave,

http://www.australianseed.com/ has glaucescens seed available.

Cheers
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Promethius »

Matt_W_NZ wrote: April 19th, 2024, 4:57 pm I’m keen to join the fray to this one. I’ve ordered some L. laevigatum, L. glaucescens and some Melaleuca nesophila.

Check out 'The Mel Project' - a thread by Ryceman3 (https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 87&t=27824). I got a clump of M nesophilia from him. I have found it to be quite slow growing and prone to caterpillar attacks, and every branch that gets wired dies. It doesn't back bud for me at all. In comparison, Patmet has a great one that loves living in its native WA (https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 7&p=303541). It may just be down to my abilities rather than the species. Just saying you may be in for a challenge!

I reckon if you want to try a Mel, go for a local species. I have a styphelioides, some lanceolatas, an ericifolia and a parvistaminea, and they're all way happier than my nesophilia.

Andy
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Promethius wrote: April 20th, 2024, 8:36 am I got a clump of M nesophilia from him. I have found it to be quite slow growing and prone to caterpillar attacks, and every branch that gets wired dies. It doesn't back bud for me at all.
I reckon if you want to try a Mel, go for a local species. I have a styphelioides, some lanceolatas, an ericifolia and a parvistaminea, and they're all way happier than my nesophilia.
Mmmm ... yeah, I would mostly agree with the above sentiment.
Having said that though I don't really notice it being more prone to insect attack than other species, I have wired quite heavily with success and although back budding isn't prolific, I have had it occur every now and again (but hardly reliable).
A lot of other mel species I have (stypheliodes, ericifolia, cuticularis, rhaphyiophylla etc) I consider faster growing and probably a bit more robust, but don't write it completely off.
I did a repot of one as a reel on IG a month or so ago ... no still shots but here is a pic of the same tree today. Not too bad considering I was a bit dubious about the root mass at the time.
:beer:
Mel Neso IG_01.jpg
EDIT : Felt compelled to also update my mel thread, thanks for the kick @Promethius! :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Current Contest”