The great Aussie bonsai limerick competition

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
tanglefoot
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by tanglefoot »

The other day I was thinking limericks (as one does!), and it occured to me that I'd never come across a limerick on bonsai........actually I don't often come across limericks fullstop!
Then of course I couldn't get it out of my head (as one would prefer not to) so I thought I'd better put fingers to keys and get it out of my brain. So here goes (with an Aus flavour)

A bloke on an outback safari
Found a tree with terrific nebari
So he got out his spade
And a fine bonsai he made
So he got his mates round for a barbie!

As you do. (Please note, I do not normally condone digging up trees from the wild. I guess maybe he was on a mate's property and it wasn't a rare species, in fact, I guess it was an olive in maybe SA, so that's all OK then!)

Sigh....OK, back to the housework now....
Last edited by Steven on June 30th, 2009, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Bonsai Limericks

Post by Bretts »

That's pretty cool Tanglefoot. It has me thinking I pronounce nebari wrong now though because that word does not rhyme for me?
A story of some Chinese visitors talking in English who found it quite perplexing that English speakers where using some Chinese like nebari to describe certain things and found swapping back and forth with the language during the conversation a bit strange. It was quite amusing to them. Since then I have been comfortable using English words to describe such things. Of Course that is no criticism of the limerick though ;)
Maybe it's just me I find it funny when I realise another tree name that I have been pronouncing wrong. The last was watching a bonsai DVD and seiju was pronounced sea-ju not sue-ji I was quite astounded. :lol:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
tanglefoot
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tanglefoot »

Mmmmm.....yes indeed. Nebari does sound much more evocative than 'roots'! "Nice roots on that one mate!"
I must admit, I sometimes wonder how many Japanese terms I should be using, especially in my instance, where indigenous stunted trees is my main interest.......

An Aussie was out, wearing boots
Tripped over a fine set of roots
So he whipped out his spade
Made a sharp lightning raid
And now it's back home growing shoots!

Outback yamadori? Not so cobber, just dug up an old tree............wonder what rhymes with dori?
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

Hi Tanglefoot,
Your username is the same as my herd prefix for the goats. In the goat show world I am known as 'Tanglefoot' instead of 'Stymie'. "Snap"
Having got that off my chest, I'll give you some words which I often sneak into my bonsai talks.
There's a lass who grows bonsai in Lincoln
who had a blue spruce and a pink 'un
being new to the game
she made them the same
by putting the pink 'un some ink on.

BOOM BOOM!
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I call it Root base, root spread, or base flare depending on which part of root base we are talking about.
"That Bonsai has a great flare at the base and a perfect root spread!"
Is that a limerick off I see coming :)
The balance of words we use is a personal choice. I myself limit these words after hearing this story altough I state again it is not a dig at you using nebari in the Limerick who is to let that get in the way of a good story. Nothing wrong with saying collected tree instead of yamadori although I see the made up term of Urban yamadori very useful.I often find myself calling my bonsai collection "My trees" but I would never dream the word Bonsai could be replaced as it has much more meaning than one or two words could replace. I find it funny how many Japanese words they use in Bonsai Focus. They say a Japanese word with it's English counterpart and then continue to use the Japanese word. My personal opinion is that there is little reason to do so but like I said each to their own.
Is someone able to help me pronounce Nebari? What is the correct translation anyway. Does it include the basal flare or is it only the roots?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
tanglefoot
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tanglefoot »

Very nice limerick, Stymie, aka tanglefoot! In Tasmania we have one indigenous deciduous tree, and only one (well, often just a large shrub really), Nothofagus gunnii, also fondly known as Tanglefoot, Deciduous Beech or Fagus. It occurs high up in the alpine zone, and is considered difficult to cultivate, both in the garden and as a bonsai....and therefore very desirable!

Interesting topic Brett.....how much should we use words from another language when discussing our trees? Initially I wondered if I would call my trees bonsai, because I wasn't following many of the guidelines, but then I decided that this word is now well known the world over, whatsmore, with many artists using local material and designing in different ways, we are just getting an evolution of the art, and rightly so.

I would like to have some good options for shari and jin. Any thoughts there?
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I often use deadwood for shari but can't think of anything for Jin. But I mainly work with the deciduous side of my brain. I would think I might lean towards shari if I worked with conifers more because it tends to explain a twisting pattern of deadwood that deadwood just does not describe. Great examples.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

tanglefoot wrote: wonder what rhymes with dori?
A bloke by the name of Corey ?

Sound right to me
you could go further and add a party in there too

Very cool Tangles love them

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

kcpoole wrote:
tanglefoot wrote: wonder what rhymes with dori?
A bloke by the name of Corey ?

Sound right to me
you could go further and add a party in there too

Very cool Tangles love them

Ken
LOL NICE!
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Very entertaining limericks Tanglefoot and Don!

Maybe this could be the next competition? Anyone want to donate a prize for the winner of the inaugural AusBonsai limerick competition :?:

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

Yesterday, contemplating my treez
I observed a great number of beez
Congregating in layers
On the pines and the firs
In a swarm just as large as you pleez.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you guys rock :!:

go tanglefoot and stymie :D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I just cannot get the corey comment out of my head, as I am Not a poet here is mine effort to combine the two

There was a young bloke named Corey
That tripped on some nice Yamadori
He threw a big bonsai party
For all those that were well arty
The result ended up a big news story

Ken P
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Will_IslandBonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Leptospermum

Post by Will_IslandBonsai »

That's a good idea Steven. Nothing like a limerick to brighten your day! Mind you, I suspect limericks are like those pesky songs you just can't get out of your head! Seeing that young Tanglefoot started off this rhyme-athon, and seeing that he's a decent sort of chap, and the tanglefoot his moniker comes from is our Tasmanian native deciduous beech, Nothogagus gunnii, and seeing that I have them available in the nursery, I'd be happy to put forward a beaut little tanglefoot in a 140mm pot as a prize (postage to any of the eastern states included - unfortunately SA and WA need quarantine type stuff).

Mind you as Tanglefoot said, they're tricky, but I can include instructions for most likely success. Actually, I wouldn't want to disadvantage the western states, so what about a Pat Kennedy pot from my range, of about the same value? About $40.
(Having said all this, just let me know if this amounts to unacceptable advertising on the site)

Anyway, bring on those rhyming lines!
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Brilliant Will, your generous offer is graciously accepted!

Okay creative type people, get busy and post your limericks for a chance to win a fabulous price courtesy of Will at Island Bonsai.

The rules are simple... The limerick must be original/written by yourself and must relate in some way to Australian bonsai or its related arts.

Submissions will be accepted up to and including 31st July 2009. The winner will be chosen by Will_IslandBonsai, FlyBri, Gocny and myself (Steven) and will be notified by PM and a post in this topic.

One prize will be awarded and the winner can choose from a Tasmanian native deciduous beech (Nothogagus gunnii) in a 140mm pot or a Pat Kennedy bonsai pot. The chosen prize will be shipped to the winner courtesy of Island Bonsai. Please note: Due to quarantine restrictions, if the winner is from South Australia or Western Australia they will automatically receive the Pat Kennedy pot.

Not sure of how to put one together? Learn what a limerick is on Wikipedia.

Good luck!
Steven

P.S. Members from overseas can still share their rhymes here but unfortunately cannot win the comp.
P.P.S Bonus points may be awarded if you use the words 'Island Bonsai' and/or 'AusBonsai' :D
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai

Return to “Current Contest”