Who is interested in a Literati Bunjin contest

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.

Who's interested in a Literati Styling Contest

Poll ended at October 15th, 2009, 9:58 pm

I would like to style a new tree for a 1 year styling competition
22%
I would like to style a new tree for a 1 year styling competition
22%
I would like to style a new tree for a 6 months styling competition
4%
I would like to style a new tree for a 6 months styling competition
4%
I would like to style a tree for a 2 months styling competition
4%
I would like to style a tree for a 2 months styling competition
4%
I would like to show an old tree for a competition
7%
I would like to show an old tree for a competition
7%
I would like to style a new Tree and also show an old tree for a styling competition
9%
I would like to style a new Tree and also show an old tree for a styling competition
9%
All of the above
5%
All of the above
5%

Total votes: 82

alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Who is interested in a Literati Bunjin contest

Post by alpineart »

jamie111 wrote:
Bretts wrote:Being a mod I guess he fears he will have to run it and that would disqualify him.
I would think as long as you where not expected to judge there is no reason you can't jion in Fly.
That is another issue we need a judge or two. Would be great if we could get an expert :)

there we go! looks like it is fairly well sorted there fly! just dont be a judge :D im sure we have a few people that are interested in the contest that dont actually want to enter.. maybe alpine??? pup???? i think you both stated you already had to many trees and dont need any more, so how bout helping us out by judging the contest??

pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssssssse ;) :D :lol: :lol: :D :D

Sorry fella's bit slow on the uptake due to long term medication , only spotted this last night .My Humblest of apologies to anybody offended by my consideration as a judge for any Comp to do with Bonsai. My Amatuer statis is true and correct and will always remain non-professional .My Apologies to Pup for anybody considering or misunderstanding my approach to Bonsai and placing me in such asteemed company .Cheers Ian Alpineart
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

No worries Alpine I almost PM'd you to help the judges out but that has been sorted for now.
Thanks for all your input :)
Again good luck with the Surgery and get back to us soon. ;)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

Literati or Bunjin

I am avoiding the use of Japanese or Chinese terms apart from the subject names underlined so as to cause no confusion among those unfamiliar with such extravagancies.

Literati/Bunjin bonsai has no hard and fast rules and is therefore a difficult thing to describe.. It is generally accepted that the lower two thirds of the trunk should be free of foliage and significant branches although a long downward flowing branch can be an asset. Line is more important than mass of foliage or trunk taper. Many trees classed as literati have scarce taper at all but do have flowing or abrupt movement in the line. The lack of taper is not an essential feature nor is a feminine appearance. I illustrate this point here with a photograph of a magnificent tree with a masculine appearance and considerable taper which is nevertheless Literati/Bunjin.
Bunjin (Masculine).jpg
An aesthetically pleasing aspect is always good but should preferably be achieved with a relatively sparse amount of foliage. Deciduous trees are less favourable on account of being comparatively brittle in general and having a tendency for upright growth. This does not preclude them from the title. They are just a little more difficult. Many of the dos and don’ts of bonsai are disregarded in Literati/.Bunjin. They are somewhat unusual and a ‘different’ look in the material can often be made into a feature. Even crossing branches.
Single trunk trees are usually planted in shallow round or oval containers of a size which would normally look right holding the top third of the tree only. This can make them unstable, particularly if the tree is slanting. The answer is to tie them down to the stand or bench in windy conditions. Trays are also accepted containers, particularly for multi-trunk compositions. All containers should be subsidiary to the tree and of a subdued colouration
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stymie on October 18th, 2009, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.

Return to “Current Contest”