Aus Bonsai Literati Bunjingi Competition.

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Aus Bonsai Literati Bunjingi Competition.

Post by Watto »

Bretts
The poem question is too difficult - schooling wasn't my best subject at school !!!!
I thought I would post a couple of photos of a literati I started in September at a workshop with Georgina Kretschmar. Reading the rules this tree probably won't be in the contest, but I have another I brought out of the "I don't know" area this afternoon and will now be putting it in the comp.
Cheers - Watto
This is a picea abies (I think) that I dug from a garden about six years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

That looks like a great start Watto.
I am not sure why you think you can't join in with this one. I think it would be fine in the aged tree division.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

The more I delve into literati the more interested I become. I don't think of myself as much of a historian but I do find the history of the Literati men fascinating.
From Deborah Koreshoffs book Bonsai It's Art, Science, History and Philosophy
These literati men led a frugal and and ascetic life, spending their time studying, debating with other learned men, practicing calligraphy and painting landscapes. In time they turned their hands to sculpting and shaping the potted trees that grew in the courtyards of the governmental buildings and monestries.
Nothing I have found puts any date to the time this happened does anyone have any idea?
The poem question is too difficult
OK here is a hint it was a very famous Literati man. He has some beautiful poetry.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Ah I think I see the issue you might have with the rules Watto
Once the tree is acquired all work must be done by the entrants hands
When relating this to the aged bonsai section that states
The trees may have been owned by other than the current owner but ownership at the start of the contest and for the duration of the contest must be the entrants.
It would be quite common that an aged tree has been worked on by someone other than the owner even after acquiring it. So I believe that is fine but as long as all the work is carried out by the contestant for the duration of the contest. Refining and maintaining a tree is all part of the discipline. I think that is a quirk in the rules we missed.
strawbs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of sydney

Post by strawbs »

Hills are empty, no man is seen,
yet the sound of people's voices are heard.
light is cast into the deep forest,
and shines again on green moss.
Wang Wei.

i dont think u could put a actual date to the literati Question.
cheers
strawbs
You can't have order without chaos.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Nice one strawbs Only half points if it was a google search on the poem. ;)
I would be happy with a centry of when the literati men started sculpting trees.

Wang Wei developed the "Southern School of Landscape Painting" He died in 759
Wang Wei was also called Mo-chieh (or ch'i, the name Wei-moch'i being a transliteration of the Sanskrit name Vimalakirti, the great lay disciple of Buddha) and Yuch'eng (assistant minister of the right, after his last government position). He was born in P'u-chou (the present Fen-yang county in Shansi Province) into a family which had contributed 13 prime ministers to the T'ang court. Because the traditional family seat was in T'aiyüan, Shansi, Wang Wei is usually called a native of T'aiyüan.

By the age of 15, Wang Wei was a skillful poet and musician. In 717 he won first place in the metropolitan examination in preparation for a government career, and in 719 he was awarded the highest degree in the examination system, the chin-shih. His long official career began immediately thereafter with his appointment as assistant director of the Imperial Directorate of Music; at the time of his death in 759, he directed the administration of 12 departments in the ministries of war, justice, and works. His career was not uneventful, however, and included demotion, exile, and forced service under the usurper An Lu-shan. Two personal losses also left deep imprint: when he was about 30, his wife died childless, and Wang never remarried; 20 years later, the death of his mother left him grief-stricken. Though he continued to hold office thereafter, he tended more and more to withdraw from public society to the solace of his country home at Lan-t'ien along the Wang River. There, in the company of fellow poets, Buddhist monks, and other friends, he roamed the hills and waters, studied Taoism and the Buddhist sutras, wrote, and painted.
More here
http://www.answers.com/topic/wang-wei
Last edited by Bretts on October 18th, 2009, 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Bretts
The rules will get some in, and the rules will take some out - and that is life. We shouldn't worry about the rules too much, I certainly won't. As I said before I have a tree to enter into the contest, not so much to win, but hopefully to get a reasonably looking tree, but more importantly to get some advice from knowledgable people on how! And maybe when, where and why?
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

watto- thats the idea of the contest, not winning, but the information, discussion and understanding, it gives us a practical aprroch to our discussions which i think is absolutly great, especially the amount of people involved. i am so happy to be a part of it and this community :D

regards jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

I'm in too, Jamie.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

After that little history lesson I think it is we who should be asking thee OH wise sage :!: . :P

The magazines are,
International BONSAI 1997 NO. 1 published by Bill Valavanis.

The other is
BONSAI & Stone appreciation Magazine

Published by Bonsai Clubs International.

When it is said that Bunjingi ( Literati ) is a young style that is not correct. Bonsai and Penjing was practiced in its infancy by the Nobility and the men of letter's.
On pain of death for the commoner. Although it was tree's that were dwarfed, you could be too if you were not of Noble birth or the gardener.
There are tree's so I am told that are not the best specimens. They are priceless simply because of there pedigree. Brett I have been going though my library looking at tree's. In the Book Classic Bonsai of Japan there are few tree's refered to as Literati ( bunjingi ) but a lot that could fit that discription. They are in the book refered to as CURVED trunk which a lot of the tree's are. You have got me crambed up reading and it hurts :P :roll: ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Watto wrote:Bretts
The rules will get some in, and the rules will take some out - and that is life. We shouldn't worry about the rules too much, I certainly won't. As I said before I have a tree to enter into the contest, not so much to win, but hopefully to get a reasonably looking tree, but more importantly to get some advice from knowledgable people on how! And maybe when, where and why?
Watto if you owned the tree when you entered that is fine. Excepting help from another person is also exceptable. As long as you tell us.
Pup ;) :)
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thanks Pup, but those spruce are slow growing anyway. It probably won't change much in the next twelve months. That's why I've got plan B - a juniper.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thanks for that Info Pup I will be sure to see If Bill Valavanis still has that edition.
Don't get too crambed up Mrs Pup will get upset at me :|
Thanks!

Watto I would love to see that tree in the Aged section I hope you change your mind.

I have a tree that I am thinking of entering that Mr Pup might throw straight out :lol:
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

Hi peeps.
My detachment is complete, being half a world away from most of you and in the northern hemisphere to boot. Your growing season is my winter and so any progression series here would have to start in March. ;) . I have a couple of comparatively mature literati which I might draw on to illustrate any points of interest. This competition is a wonderful idea and an opportunity to share knowledge and viewpoints. I'm tickled pink to be a part of it, although which part is still in the melting pot. All power to your collective elbows and lets have some fun.
Yours in wild anticipation =Stymie (aka Don)
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

It will be great to get an international view point Stymie Glad you decided to join us :)

Return to “Current Contest”