[NATURAL] Hakea drupacea - Starfox

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

[NATURAL] Hakea drupacea - Starfox

Post by Starfox »

Had a choice of 3 different species I started from seed this year and in the end I chose this little one, I almost was going to choose something else until I came across a pic of this species in the 2017 gallery on the vicnative website.
So here is my baby Hakea drupacea.... seed came from rareplantseu at 4.99 for a pack of 10 and the only thing I have done to it is pot it into a coarser soil after pricking out.

Basically for now it just needs to grow so hopefully it does.

I might bend it somewhat.
IMG_20181122_124715298s.jpg
IMG_20181122_124659917s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [NATURAL] Hakea drupacea - Starfox

Post by Starfox »

Just an update to see what a couple of months of winter growth does.
All my entries have pushed good growth over winter so far, it makes hard to resist and wait for warmer weather but not much I can do with this one aside from let it grow anyway. Seeing all the entries and work being done I'm getting an itchy pruning finger.
I like the natural movement it has, that's something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

what a wonderful flower it has and great growth so far :tu:
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

Cheers Max, it is doing well. Hopefully I'll get to see a flower at some point, they have interesting looking fruit too after flowering.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

Here is my April update on this one.

As was...
IMG_5376s.JPG
It's been growing well and pushing some nice spring growth. I noticed some roots poking out the bottom and it is sitting far too low in the pot so figured now was a good time as any to have a look at them and sure enough there were some long roots starting to circle the pot. I don't think there were any proteoid roots present and I removed all of the long stuff leaving the top root ball intact.
IMG_5377d.JPG
I then repotted it into a kitty litter(Danish moler clay), lava rock and orchid bark mix and filled the pot up a lot more so it has more leg space ready for the season to come and also gave it a very light prune.
IMG_5378x.JPG
Still it just needs to grow more, I would like to wire it but a) it's spikey and b) tried that and the bark is so soft at this stage too much fiddling manages to damage it so I'll wait a bit longer and give it another go.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

Well dang it, dead and withdrawn.

I was holding out to see if it would bounce back but it appears lost now.

I think it was a combo of things that started when I cracked the trunk in half accidentally, not sure it appreciated the wire either but it didn't immediately show signs of distress. It did however start showing what I believe to be fungal issues and bug attack, I have a H. laurina that was showing similar signs so I isolated those two and gave them a sulphur treatment, the laurina perked up almost immediately but the drupacea did not and kept on sliding.

The only saving grace is I have two sister left trees from the same batch of seed which are growing out nicely.

Return to “Current Contest”