[NATURAL] Kunzea Ericoides Braeside (62124A) - Group Plantin

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

[NATURAL] Kunzea Ericoides Braeside (62124A) - Group Plantin

Post by MJL »

Thanks again for organising the competition. Here is my first entry.

Seedlings were purchased at the Sandbelt Indigenous Plant Nursery - Heatherton Rd, Clayton South. I believe they were grown from seed by the volunteers at that nursery.

From memory - $2 each- makes total investment in this group $18.

My only work to date was to pot them together ...on an angle ...from the start, I have always like the idea of the windswept tea tree look. They have been sitting in my back courtyard for a year or so.

What better time to give them some love via this forum and this competition.

The tag you see in the photos was an original tag from the group of seedlings purchased.

I think it is a nine tree group. I say ‘think’ nine but it is hard to tell. A few trunks are quite close together - so I am am not sure if they are one of two trees - I am assuming one. Also - toward the end - you’ll see two tiny emerging seedlings - I am not sure if they are attached below the soil or shooting as new trees.

Let’s see where the group goes....
IMG_5551.jpg
IMG_5552.jpg
IMG_5553.jpg
IMG_5555.jpg
IMG_5556.jpg
IMG_5557.jpg
IMG_5558.jpg

Bonsai teaches me patience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [NATURAL] Kunzea Ericoides Braeside (62124A) - Group Plantin

Post by MJL »

It's clearly too early in the morning .... I can't even spell (or write) my title correctly!

That title should read: 'Kunzea Ericoides Braeside (62124A) - Group Planting - Mark'

Alas, I cannot edit the title so.... like many of my pre-bonsai, I will have to live with my mistake. :palm:
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Hi MJL,

I love your entry.
However, you need to show each trunk is up to 1cm at the base, and not part of a clump.

It appears you have many trees in there.
Otherwise you will have to separate and photo each tree as clumps above 1cm are not allowed, as it has to be a fair playing field for everyone.

Take a look at Wattos entry for the Eucalyptus group, as each tree is clearly separated.

Regards,
Rory :)
Last edited by Rory on December 1st, 2018, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Hey Rory - understood, no problem at all - I’ll get into it.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
BB Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by BB Brian »

keen to see this one develop
i haven't seen any of our natives in group plantings
happy growing MJL!
"Ambition without knowledge, is like boat on dry land" - Miyagi
IG: @bonsaibuzz #bonsaibuzz
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Kunzea ericoides (Kanuka) is not a native species. I have grown some from seed and they have foliage which actually looks like an Erica. I suspect a lot of the ones seen around the place are not ericoides.

K ericoides..
kunzea.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by treeman on December 7th, 2018, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

treeman wrote:Kunzea ericoides (Kanuka) is not a native species. I have grown some from seed and they have foliage which actually looks like an Erica. I suspect a lot of the ones seen around the place are not ericoides.
Good point Mike.

MJL, if it is ericoides it can't be used. :(

Maybe double check with the nursery and we'll trust your honesty :)
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

This may explain the "K. ericoides" situation:

"Kunzea ericoides is very similar to the Australian endemics K. leptospermoides and K. peduncularis which were formerly included in K. ericoides. The new status of K. ericoides follows the publication of a paper entitled "A revision of the New Zealand Kunzea ericoides (Myrtaceae) complex" by the New Zealand botanist, Peter James de Lange." (Wikipedia) It seems that the Australian species that were labelled K. ericoides have been renamed by botanists. So "K.ericoides" sold here are quite likely to be native, but not officially known by this name now. Given that the botanists are not entirely clear about this, MJL should probably be given the benefit of the doubt. If it's good enough for Russell Crowe and Sam Neill.....

Gavin
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

GavinG wrote:This may explain the "K. ericoides" situation:

"Kunzea ericoides is very similar to the Australian endemics K. leptospermoides and K. peduncularis which were formerly included in K. ericoides. The new status of K. ericoides follows the publication of a paper entitled "A revision of the New Zealand Kunzea ericoides (Myrtaceae) complex" by the New Zealand botanist, Peter James de Lange." (Wikipedia) It seems that the Australian species that were labelled K. ericoides have been renamed by botanists. So "K.ericoides" sold here are quite likely to be native, but not officially known by this name now. Given that the botanists are not entirely clear about this, MJL should probably be given the benefit of the doubt. If it's good enough for Russell Crowe and Sam Neill.....

Gavin
Interesting Gavin. The only point I'd add is that the epithet ''ericoides'' must have been given for a specific reason, ie; that the foliage resembles that of an Erica and the plants that I've seen passed of as ericoides here definitely do not have that.
Mike
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

I am now removing this group planting from the competition. No drama at all. I am removing it because:

:arrow: This is a competition founded on goodwill; the goodwill of the organiser(s) in taking the time, effort an indeed generosity of offering prizes. The goodwill of the participants in sticking to the spirit of the competition. We are not playing for sheep stations, we're here to learn.
:arrow: I was already feeling a little odd in that the act of grouping the trees some time ago is probably unfair
:arrow: The question about whether they are even natives is enough to scratch the entry in and of itself
:arrow: I was going to post measurements of each individual trunk - they are all definitely under 1cm - although one group of two seedlings is right on the border and indeed, there are now many shoots popping up around the base of a number of trees; somewhere under the soil they be bigger than 1cm
:arrow: I purchased these plants from a local native nursery - staffed by volunteers; it's opening hrs are very limited but I will check on these seedlings in due course.

I will move this thread to the 'progression' topic in due course. People seem interested in creating a native forest and I am actually pretty excited by the idea in my head of what this could become.

Even at this very young age, it is evoking that windswept, rugged and wonderfully wild nature of the tea tree forests and moonah scrub on the Mornington peninsula. As a golfer at the National GC and having had a beach house down there with my brother in time's past - not now - I am all too familiar with the landscapes. Walking through these tea tree 'forests' is an almost mystical experience - much easier if there is some form of beaten track; almost impossible if you are looking for a stray golf ball.

Even now... trying to thread a tape measure through the little trees and sloping ground - in and around the twisted, densely planted Kunzea/Kanuka was difficult. That's a good thing - already reflective of nature and why I created a slope and angle-planted seedlings from the outset.

I may try to attend a local native bonsai group. I'd love some help turning this group into a wonderful bonsai over the years.

Cheers - I will now look for other options for the competition.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

MJL,

If you can make it to a council nursery, just get some Leptospermum seedlings, and group them together.
Start with like 10, and then if some don’t survive first repot, use the rest.
Lepto scoparium or cardwell and others will grow and develop very similar to these.

Take care mate,
Rory
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

MJL, please rethink your abandonment. There is a strong likelihood that what is sold in Australia as K. ericifolia is in fact something local. And while you planted them a while ago, they aren't "trained" in any way.

The spirit of this "competition" is to come up with something interesting, not "Ruthless Annihilation of All Who Stand Against Me" and a Rigid Application of Rules - we're just not that kind of group. And I for one want to see what you come up with. The windswept golf-course thing seems to be something Melbourne-ites relate to - it would be good to see it take form.

Just my 2c.,

Gavin
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

GavinG wrote:MJL, please rethink your abandonment. There is a strong likelihood that what is sold in Australia as K. ericifolia is in fact something local. And while you planted them a while ago, they aren't "trained" in any way.

The spirit of this "competition" is to come up with something interesting, not "Ruthless Annihilation of All Who Stand Against Me" and a Rigid Application of Rules - we're just not that kind of group. And I for one want to see what you come up with. The windswept golf-course thing seems to be something Melbourne-ites relate to - it would be good to see it take form.

Just my 2c.,

Gavin
Agreed. Just call it Kunzea sp. group planting.
Mike
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks folks. I remain inclined to move this group to a simple progression series for the reasons noted. Be assured - I am not offended by any of the questions related to this group of seedlings. I'll feel better just treating as a pre-bonsai group outside of the competition. No drama at all.

Regarding the discussion on whether these Kunzea ericoides are native... this morning I visited the Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery (were I purchased them) and had a fun and interesting time. I was wandering around looking at various seedlings and one of the volunteers asked if he could help; we had a great discussion. He nearly choked when I suggested that Kunzea ericoides was not native... he then called a lovely elderly lady and truthfully - I started to feel bad - I was causing too much stress for this volunteer to even suggest that they would be growing anything other than native. In the end, I was way out of my league. Books were referenced, frowns dispersed and I had a great time.

I think it gets down to something to do with a recent re-classification - I think, until a few years back it was not called what it is now called... anyway... what it did mean was that I ended up in a great discussion about what I was trying to do ... bonsai some natives ...and due to the passion of the prior discussion they gave me a wonderful discount.

I now have purchased the following challenging seedlings. I purposely chose a range of species - some will be way harder than others.

(10) Malaleuca ericafolia http://vro.agriculture.vic.gov.au/dpi/v ... paperbark#
(5) Acacia mearnsii http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/s ... pl?id=5720
(9) Eucalyptus camaldulensis http://www.florabank.org.au/lucid/key/S ... lensis.htm
(3)Hakea ulicina https://vicflora.rbg.vic.gov.au/flora/t ... 9b265f3ab9
(8)Acacia Melanoxylon http://www.florabank.org.au/lucid/key/S ... oxylon.htm

35 little seedlings (in 32 pots) - some had a couple together. $50. They were supposed to be $2.50 each but they rounded it way down; I guess because of the friendly discussion we'd had for the prior 40 or so minutes. Wonderful people and I am thankful that they are close by.

Unfortunately they did not have any of those Leptospermum scoparium that Rory suggested I get. Oh well. :palm:

Return to “Current Contest”