[NATURAL] Acacia baileyana - MikeK

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
MikeK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

[NATURAL] Acacia baileyana - MikeK

Post by MikeK »

My second entry is the prostrate form of Acacia baileyana (Cootamundra wattle).

A. baileyana is indigenous to a small area of southern New South Wales (in the vicinity of Cootamundra, hence its common name), but it has been widely planted across Australia and in many areas it has now become naturalised and is regarded as a weed. It grows to a large bushy shrub or small tree of 5–10m tall. The short bipinnate leaves are usually blue-grey in colour (there is also a purple form, but not in prostrate) and the flower heads are lemon yellow and arranged elongated, showy racemes, flowering primarily between June and early September

Purchased today from Plants Plus Cumberland State Forrest for $19.95. I was hoping to get A. cardiophylla (Wyalong Wattle) which I think has a much nicer leaf, but there was none in stock and no ETA. If I manage to find one before 31 Jan I may withdraw this one and replace with the cardiophylla.
Acacia baileyana - Dec 2018 - Trunk Size.jpg
Acacia baileyana - Dec 2018 - Front.jpg
Acacia baileyana - Dec 2018 - Side.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MikeK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [NATURAL] Acacia baileyana - MikeK

Post by MikeK »

April 2019 Update

Well, this fella has had a hard life over the last 3 months. It was potted into a tall pot with the base removed (basically an open ended tube) to grow a bit, but unfortunately it's been attacked by a possum and fallen victim to a mealy bug infestation, so it's now looking very much worse for ware. I've also had a sawfly larvae infestation on the tree next to it so it may have copped a bit of that as well (didn't find any on this tree though)

Not sure how well it will survive, they are pretty tough though so I'm expecting a recovery (if I can keep the possums at bay), but my initial design thoughts are out the window.
Acacia baileyana - Apr 2018.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MikeK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MikeK »

Oct 2019 Update

Not much to report. Survived the multiple pest attacks which is good, but not much growth over winter.

Have just moved it from the current location and put the colander in the ground in my front yard where it will get more sun.
Acacia baileyana - Oct 2019.jpg
MikeK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MikeK »

this one didn't survive - RIP

Return to “Current Contest”