[NATURAL] Melacuela Lanceolata - Bonsaeen

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: [NATURAL] Melacuela Lanceolata - Bonsaeen

Post by Ryceman3 »

Mmm... I’m kinda thinking it does look Moonah. I have similar tubestock I got last week (near Geelong, so not the same source) that is M.Lanceolata and has a very similar look to these. To me that leaf shape is OK, but then again I’m not that well versed so happy to be over ruled. I’ll post some pics of mine in the coming days, the leaf shape and growth habit look to match... it’s at home right now (and I am not) so can’t do it any sooner than Sunday/Monday I’m afraid! If not Moonah then what?
:beer:
Last edited by Ryceman3 on January 3rd, 2019, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I feel bad. I shouldn’t have caused so much consternation by posing my question in the first place... I just kept cocking my head to the side when I looked at the pictures - a bit like my dog Hadley when he doesn’t understand something! So thought I’d ask.

Further, I am not an expert - albeit others on this thread may be. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt ...

Truly it’s not a big issue at all - and when it flowers we’ll have a better idea anyway.... at which time you can go ‘bl@@dy Mark, it was a Moonah all along!’

Cheers,

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Pat3222
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Pat3222 »

Howdy,

Both these were bought as Lanceolata, one from the Bellarine Landcare Nursery and the other from Van Loons in Wallington. Yours looks similar to me but I've got a Thryptomene saxicola which isn't that far off either.

Out of interest, where did you get yours Ryceman?

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Pat3222 wrote:Howdy,

Both these were bought as Lanceolata, one from the Bellarine Landcare Nursery and the other from Van Loons in Wallington. Yours looks similar to me but I've got a Thryptomene saxicola which isn't that far off either.

Out of interest, where did you get yours Ryceman?

Cheers
I would say the top is definitely lanceolata. The others...who knows??

Mine looks like your first one, and this....
https://vicflora.rbg.vic.gov.au/flora/t ... 6782e2e3bb
Mike
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Pat3222 wrote: Out of interest, where did you get yours Ryceman?
Hi Pat, picked mine up from Bellarine native co-op nursery in Queenscliff. They are somewhat affiliated with the Bellarine Landcare Nursery in Drysdale I think ... which might be where you got yours?? I’m guessing the second pic you posted is theirs as it looks exactly like mine. Tube stock? Your other tree (from Van Loon’s?) looks to be a little older, could the variation in leaf shape be an age thing? Perhaps juvenile foliage is slightly less lanceolate and that is what we’re looking at on the younger trees? There definitely seems to ba a difference in foliage shape. Dunno - just throwing stuff out there. It’s interesting to me that the tubestock on both sides of the peninsula look similar ... but whether they both have the ID wrong, I have no idea! Hope not... but if that’s the case I guess I’m gonna be bonsai-ing some other native!
@MJL : I’d be more pissed if you had an inkling they weren’t Moonah and said nothing. Love a bit of “controversy”... where would we be without it!
:beer:
Last edited by Ryceman3 on January 4th, 2019, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat3222
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Pat3222 »

Ryceman - right on all round - great deductions!! I think you’re likely right about the differences being age related, hard to imagine 3 different native nurseries all making the same incorrect ID?

Will be a wait and see all round I guess. Whatever they turn out to be, the leaf size will be easy to manage.

Cheers
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by bonsaeen »

This one lived but very slow growth.
Malelueca april.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Current Contest”