[Natural] Allocasuarina Torulosa - Jan

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

[Natural] Allocasuarina Torulosa - Jan

Post by Jan »

This Allocasuarina Torulosa, Rose She Oak, was purchased on a whim in 2018 (not sure when but at the same time as my Brachychiton rupestris entry).It was trunk chopped to encourage branching and while watered, rather forgotten about since. In my defence, last year was hectic in my sport, working on my trees is my "chill out" so they really only got minimum maintenance as a result of our packed schedule.

I have a soft spot for Allocasuarina, though I seem best at killing them, I'm hoping that this one will be the exception. I have not tried the Rose She Oak before so will be interested to learn a bit more about them and look forward to it developing into a pleasing tree.
Allocasuarina Torulosa Trunk.JPG
Allocasuarina Torulosa.JPG
Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Natural] Allocasuarina Torulosa - Jan

Post by Jan »

20190407 044651.JPG
This one was not what I had expected when unearthed!
First thought was to drastically prune the roots and top to try to get a flat base, but...it had an interesting curve in the root and nice long roots, so I have decided to give it a light trim to encourage root branching and move it on into a deep pot to grow the roots on further. I'm thinking that this one may have potential as a "root over rock". I'll have to look out for a suitable river rock with a view to recreating the creek/river side Allocasuarinas that have had their soil washed away by floods.
20190407 045950.JPG
A bit of a trim up to encourage fine branching, a piece of charcoal to encourage the branches to spread and into the mini glasshouse (ex fish tank) to recover/grow on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jan on April 7th, 2019, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Natural] Allocasuarina Torulosa - Jan

Post by Jan »

Unfortunately this one has quit the race.

I root pruned three of these on the day so, naturally, it was the one with the trunk thin enough to be entered in the comp. that has died.

On the up side, I still have two more to play with that are going great guns, but on the other side of the coin, I am now back to two entries in the comp.

Please remove this one from the competition.

Jan

Return to “Current Contest”