[NATURAL] Leptospermum Laevigatum - Ryceman3

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

[NATURAL] Leptospermum Laevigatum - Ryceman3

Post by Ryceman3 »

I have been on the look out for stock to put in this comp, if nothing else it has inspired me to grow some stuff from seed as I'm not all that excited about what I have found! In any case, I acquired these 4, which are just tubestock and cost me the outrageous price of $4 (total). They can grow reasonably quickly, and they'll need to as these are all under 5mm at their thickest. I have some experience with them so thought it was worth getting some more and having a dip. Here they are in all their glory.
IMG_3715.jpg
IMG_3716.jpg
IMG_3717.jpg
IMG_3718.jpg
IMG_3719.jpg
I've included all 4 because my initial thoughts, given they are very little is to go with a group of some description. I also considered a group appropriate as that is a very natural way for them to grow - lots of examples along the Victorian coast (and I'm sure elsewhere!) that I'll be using as inspiration, but before I get too excited I'll let them bush up a little!
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: [NATURAL] Leptospermum Laevigatum - Ryceman3

Post by KIRKY »

That’s an excellent price. Where did you get them?
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Will be following these with interest as I have a few that I started from seed last year.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

KIRKY wrote:That’s an excellent price. Where did you get them?
Cheers
Kirky
Hi Kirky, I’ve been up and down with family over the Christmas period to the Bellarine Peninsula. There’s a co-op native nursery near Queenscliff that have a smallish variety of tubestock, all of which is native to that area. Last time I visited I got some great Casuarina, but nothing this time - it’s a box of chocolates, you never know what you’ll get. No matter what it is though, each tube is $1... :tu:
terryb wrote:Will be following these with interest as I have a few that I started from seed last year.
We’ll see what I come up with terryb, at worst I’ll show you what NOT to do. :beer:
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by terryb »

Ryceman3 wrote:We’ll see what I come up with terryb, at worst I’ll show you what NOT to do. :beer:
..or possibly the other way around :crybye:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

terryb wrote:
Ryceman3 wrote:We’ll see what I come up with terryb, at worst I’ll show you what NOT to do. :beer:
..or possibly the other way around :crybye:
Positive thoughts terryb, positive thoughts!
Here's a bit of a visual of the kind of thing I have in mind for these, I never draw stuff up before I begin work so this time I thought I'd give it a go and see if I can stick to my vision or just end up going with the flow. :P
Lepto Laevigatum Virtual.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Ryceman3 wrote: Here's a bit of a visual of the kind of thing I have in mind for these, I never draw stuff up before I begin work so this time I thought I'd give it a go and see if I can stick to my vision or just end up going with the flow. :P
Lepto Laevigatum Virtual.jpg
:clap: OK, Ok .... further to AnthonyW seperate thread ... you've added colour, now you can hang it on your wall. :lol: Truly - what a lovely little water colour. :yes:

Great vision - I look forward to seeing you bring it to fruition ... and it seems somewhat more manageable than a Moonah forest/'Walk to the beach' planting that I am thinking of entering! :palm:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

MJL wrote:... and it seems somewhat more manageable than a Moonah forest/'Walk to the beach' planting that I am thinking of entering! :palm:
I saw a Moonah forest last week which pretty much underlined your description of what you’re trying to achieve. Wish I had my phone/camera but alas... neither. I’ll be down there again before too long so willl endeavour to snap an image. In the meantime, keep on truckin’.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by terryb »

MJL wrote:
Ryceman3 wrote: Here's a bit of a visual of the kind of thing I have in mind for these, I never draw stuff up before I begin work so this time I thought I'd give it a go and see if I can stick to my vision or just end up going with the flow. :P
Great vision - I look forward to seeing you bring it to fruition ... and it seems somewhat more manageable than a Moonah forest/'Walk to the beach' planting that I am thinking of entering! :palm:
Agree with Mark, I like your vision and your lovely image. I just repotted a couple of small Acacias that resembles your image minus the left tree.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

Wow. Your virt is almost exactly what I was picturing for my 3x lepto entry.. i allready wired and trimmed to help achieve it too.. looks like I'm going to be going back to the drawing board haha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Mbunro wrote:Wow. Your virt is almost exactly what I was picturing for my 3x lepto entry.. i allready wired and trimmed to help achieve it too.. looks like I'm going to be going back to the drawing board haha
Nah... do what you want. My picture isn’t set in concrete, it’s not development plans with council approval... I’ll aim for something along those lines then no doubt change tack if and when the need arises. You should do the same, don’t change your focus cos I chucked up a vision that I may never achieve! Besides, nothing to say that we both can’t head for the same end goal (or anybody else for that matter)... last one there is a rotten egg! :P
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

Haha yeah I suppose a natural looking lepto a natural looking lepto..

Will chuck a photo up on my entry to show how similar they are, right down to the twin trunk at the bottom

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

After a bit of thought - and a few other options that have now come to hand I have decided to withdraw this entry from the comp as I have 3 others that I think will develop a little better in the timeline available. :crybye:
I will however develop them on - most likely in a similar way to what I drew up so will make a new thread with their progress as time goes on ... look out for 'em!

Return to “Current Contest”