[Natural] - Melaleuca lanceolata- Moohah Forest MJL(3)

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

[Natural] - Melaleuca lanceolata- Moohah Forest MJL(3)

Post by MJL »

My third entry is a tad nuts - a Moonah forest. I am trying to recreate a walk to the back beach on the Mornington peninsula in Victoria.

Each seedling was $2.50.

IMG_6118.jpg
I added some quite aggressive movement in many of these seedlings:
IMG_6136.jpg
Front:
IMG_6417.jpg
IMG_6418.jpg
Back:
IMG_6420.jpg
I have designed in one main path winding through this group and a number of side paths. Hopefully as these trees progress, I will slowly expose the paths within the chaos/density - tight paths that are so reminiscent of the walks I love ... who knows.

Once again - more thoughts on the background/what I am thinking can be found in this historical thread.There is a post here on January 1st 2019. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26357&hilit=Moonah&start=75

You'll note - initially I discussed adding some tea tree. I didn't. I also had slightly older trees which met the criteria ... I included these but alas, they died (I have not removed them - perhaps they will re-spout but I doubt it.) Indeed, I think I have lost four or five trees to date but others are thriving so the planting will end around 27, I hope.

So there you have it. I have decided on three groups for my three entries - no surprise there!

River Red Gum; Swamp Paperbark and Moonah.

I am already learning and rapt that I have an expanded collection of these and other native trees. All because of this competition. :yes:

PS - I am using large deep 'training pots in all cases. Perhaps I should have placed them in the ground. Regardless, I am looking forward to matching my native trees with pots from local 'Potterers' in future; by the time the competition closes. I like the synchronicity of the idea.

It might be kinda cool if each of us used at least one pot from local potters from all around the country; a pretty good way to expose the great work of that industry I reckon! Of course, beautiful Japanese and other pots will be used too but just an idea for us all to consider.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Re: [Natural] - Melaleuca lanceolata- Moohah Forest MJL(3)

Post by Ryceman3 »

G'day MJL,
Was down on the Bellarine for the long weekend and went for a walk on Sunday morning ... thought of your entry.
IMG_3768.jpg
IMG_3765.jpg
IMG_3759.jpg
They are very evocative in this kind of environment, I like the premise behind your idea and look forward to it developing.
Good luck!
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Cheers R3 - appreciate these photos. You’re spot on. I have a number of photos with my kids in them on various paths but I’m not sure they want their skulls pasted all over AusBonsai. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I found this photo below very reminiscent too.
IMG_6422.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

My final update for April 2019.
The Moonah group. And... Meh.

So -here we have my ambition way ahead of my skills, so I am adjusting my approach.

A number of trees ‘bit the biscuit’ and I decided to remove some others too. I now have 15 trees which should be enough to create a gnarled set of trees reminiscent in any walk to the back beach at Blairgowrie or indeed, tress curling over the dunes.

The trees are healthy, the bends are good but I reckon there’s more in these. They are not flourishing in the same environmental conditions as my swamp paperbarks and river gums. Time for a change - more light, more air. I’ll live them to another spot in my small plot.

Nothings disastrous here just ... meh!
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0345.jpg

It is also interesting to note these below ... same,same but an earlier expression that I started a few years back. Less curves - rather neglected too. Actually, with the more aggressive curves in the competition set above; perhaps they will look ok. As the Ad says - just keep walking.

My gut feel is that these two sets may be both crud by themselves but just a little exciting together. Hmmm... of course that would disqualify this set from the comp but I’ll see how things go on the next few progressions.
IMG_0347.jpg
IMG_0346.jpg

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

September/October 2019 Update - Self-Disqualified

Decided to integrate two groups of Moonah's today. I like the result but in the process, I have disqualified myself from the competition for a whole range of reasons including:- trees that were being bonsai'd before the start date and at least one that would have been more than 1 cm thick anyway.

All good, I'm stoked with where this is heading ... from the outset I wanted to re-create that feel you head off on a beach walk down at the Mornington Peninsula... that walk has started. :yes: ;)
IMG_6791.jpg
IMG_6794.jpg
IMG_6792.jpg
IMG_6793.jpg
IMG_6795.jpg
Cheers, Mark
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Nice sense of scenery. It will be interesting to see how it progresses - neat foliage masses will not work on this. And for me, making "wild" look interesting and graceful, not predictable or ordinary, is a lot harder than following patterns we already know. It will also be difficult to reproduce the rusty cans and desiccated plastic bags to scale. (Sorry...)

Gavin
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Cheers Gavin. Luckily for me I am still learning the art of foliage pads so not so much to 'un-learn' in that sense. :whistle: Actually I am finding all my natives are responding well to hand-breaking/snapping and I then leave the broken bit to die its own way too. Also - I am noting some of the longer branches respond well to being tucked under the soil to re-appear (picture a U with the base of the U under the soil). Poor description ... I'll try to take a photo sometime soon too. I am doing that because you often see branches leaning out (either broken by wind or just sheer weight) - touching the soil and then rooting themselves at the tough point. I like this idea - it creates a sense of wildness and I reckon it should help create a sense of chaotic harmony ..as I like to call it.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by PWC »

MJL wrote: September 19th, 2019, 3:54 pm it creates a sense of wildness and I reckon it should help create a sense of chaotic harmony ..as I like to call it.
I do enjoy the passion you have for your forest plantings, but I don't see chaos more genuine randomness, well done. :yes:
Peter.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Mark, enjoying this little journey immensely. I see this type of scene with the local Tea trees on the coastal dunes. Fantastic. Hope you nail it. I have a book Saikei and Art , Miniature Landscapes by Lew Buller which I think you would really enjoy. Inspirational in many ways .Cheers John.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Hey PWC and John,

Thanks for your feedback. I find it really pleasing that you are seeing randomness in a something created with the help of a human hand ... very cool and says something is going in the right direction. :yes:
@John - I love a good book and I'll keep an eye out for it - a quick check on The Book Depository and other site suggests it might be a little difficult to come by but ya never know your luck in a big city. :)

Have a great weekend.

Mark
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

You bastard Mark. Sigh. It’ll be fun to watch your updates, but I was enjoying having this entry in the comp.

Well done, you really go hard with your group plantings.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Ha! Rory you’re a classic - now tell me what you really think! :lol:

Sorry - but contrary to my tag line - I am yet to learn patience and wanted to bring these trees together. That said, the other two entries are flying and I really like where they are heading too. Indeed, I was surprised that my young river gums are shedding bark... how cool! I’m really enjoying these natives. :yes:

Other updates to follow soon.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

The self-DQ'd Moonah - apologies, I couldn't be bothered moving this pot from it's growing area but you get the picture.
IMG_7316.jpeg
IMG_7317.jpeg
Not as verdant as the Swamp Paperbarks but still progressing well.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

While I self-DQ'd these trees - I will continue the updates because they are a joy to tend too.

As with the River Gums, Swamp Paperbarks and these Moonah - full sun and a tray of water all summer. I should note they are fed well too. Swapping Powerfeed and Seasol around every two weeks.

These got the same treatment as they Paperbarks and have responded similarly. Just slower to grow and thicken. These are quite beautiful and if one day they flower too ... well I will be imagining a walk through and under them - much as I do when walking through parts of the Mornington Peninsula.

As always, feedback and ideas and when to repot - cut back etc... welcome.

Similar to the Paperbarks and the Gums ... so much to do but I think the foundation is getting there. Not sure how I will shape the top but with this one I picture almost rolling mounds of growth ... think a view standing atop sand dunes and looking down. Not sure of this would look silly but that what's in my skull for these ones.

Cheers,

Mark

Photos below.
IMG_8271.jpeg
IMG_8272.jpeg
IMG_8273.jpeg
IMG_8274.jpeg
IMG_8275.jpeg
IMG_8276.jpeg
IMG_8277.jpeg
IMG_8278.jpeg
IMG_8279.jpeg
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Anyone know if this species buds back from bare wood?
Mike

Return to “Current Contest”