[Natural] Lophostemon grandiflorus - DangerousDave

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

[Natural] Lophostemon grandiflorus - DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave »

Entry number 2

Lophostemon grandiflorus
Acquired from local landcare nursery as tubestock
$2.50

Acquired on 23 November. They’re very organised there.. so I happen to know it was sown on 6 July and potted into the tube on 31 August. It’s only a 5-month-old at the starting blocks.

Despite my intentions to get a head start on the comp, I’ve done nothing to it yet other than a couple of liquid ferts and let it have wet feet most of the time. It’s still in the tube, but not for long. Only got around to photographing with the tape today. Luckily it scraped in still.

I love this species, and hope it makes good bonsai material. It’s a rheophyte. It grows in rocky creek beds around here. Usually literally right in the bed of the ephemeral stream. Gets battered by wet season flows, so it’s often twisted and gnarled and multi-stemmed with exposed roots. Pretty good bark, but I think I’ll be lucky to have that in the comp timeframe. Hoping do represent something of that natural form. See how we go..

DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: [Natural] Lophostemon grandiflorus - DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave »

Return to “Current Contest”