[A Forest Tale] terryb –Hackberry elimination

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

[A Forest Tale] terryb –Hackberry elimination

Post by terryb »

My neighbours have a large hackberry (Celtis australis) growing in the corner of their yard. Some years ago, we upgraded the fence between our properties and ever since, hackberries have been appearing in the narrow space between the fence and my crappy shed. I assume these are suckers that are popping up from the roots that were damaged when the fence was put in. I have been digging these things out on a regular basis but they just keep on appearing. I have tried a number of things with them over the years but mostly they have been potted and ignored.

Apart from the obligatory “Hi, I’m new here” post, trying to get an ID on these things was my first thread on ausbonsai. So, (1) in homage to my foray into ausbonsai and (2) in an effort to clear some space and finally do something useful with them, these will form my first entry in this competition. The eight trees pictured have been dug over the last three years (2017-2019).
20200410_151507.jpg
I noticed that another couple have emerged since last year :palm: ,which I may dig out in winter and add to the mix.
20200410_151630.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: [A Forest Tale] terryb –Hackberry elimination

Post by greg27 »

I did a double take there - the space between your fence and crappy shed looks very similar to the space between my fence and crappy shed, right down to the hackberry suckers!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I did a double take there - the space between your fence and crappy shed looks very similar to the space between my fence and crappy shed, right down to the hackberry suckers!
Perhaps you both live in the same house but too busy looking at the hackberry trees to notice?
Have any of your hackberries gone missing? Terry might be knocking them off from right under your nose ;)
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Thanks for the entry and liking the story already .....homage to you starting in Bonsai, seedlings close to home (literally) and a little bit spooky with a doppelgänger home in the mix. :o
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Current Contest”