[SYANBS] Discussion thread for the Six-Year Australian Native Bonsai from Seed Competition

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Matt_W_NZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous - maples, broadleafs. Melaleucas. JRPs
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Victoria Native Bonsai Club

Re: [SYANBS] Discussion thread for the Six-Year Australian Native Bonsai from Seed Competition

Post by Matt_W_NZ »

Hi Promethius and Ryceman,

Thanks for the feedback. I was going purely on the pretty pictures on the vendor’s website when I was lured into the nesophila. I’ll still give it a go, nothing lost other than my time ultimately.

I collected some causarina seeds today, will give them a go too.

I saw an amazing Wallum Banksia (B. aemula) at the Bonsai Northwest show today - how are banskia to grow from seed?

Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: [SYANBS] Discussion thread for the Six-Year Australian Native Bonsai from Seed Competition

Post by Trimmy »

Some of my seeds arrived today. Melaluca and Leptospermum seeds are incredibly small. Practically dust. I hope they don't blow away in the wind. :D
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

The bog method is useful with very small seeds, as you don't need to water from the top. just stand your pot of seeds in a shallow water bath.

Gavin
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trimmy »

GavinG wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 12:59 pm The bog method is useful with very small seeds, as you don't need to water from the top. just stand your pot of seeds in a shallow water bath.

Gavin
Ahh, I see. I will do that.
Kedron Brook
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku, Ficus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Kedron Brook »

:bump:
Looking forward to this. I will enter some melaleucas and ficus'.
I'd rather be a tree,
where it's cool & sunny,
than stuck in traffic,
going batshit,
it's the green life for me.
Kedron Brook
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku, Ficus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Kedron Brook »

With a little help from the Microsoft AI, I might just grow a melaleuca 10 meters tall and 6 meters wide! The ficus will be a wishy-washy 6 meters tall and 3 meters wide :reading:

Maybe we could run an AI-Guided growing challenge :lol:
I'd rather be a tree,
where it's cool & sunny,
than stuck in traffic,
going batshit,
it's the green life for me.
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Promethius »

Newsflash!

I’ve been contracted by a very generous ceramicist, who was interested in the competition and whose work I’ve been a fan of for some time.
Long story short - I have a really cool pot sitting in my garage for the next 6 years, which will suit lots of natives, and we now have a prize for a judged category in addition to the popular vote.
A shohin category has been suggested previously, which I am leaning towards. Thoughts?
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

Promethius wrote: April 26th, 2024, 7:59 pm Newsflash!

...A shohin category has been suggested previously, which I am leaning towards. Thoughts?
I'm also keen to try some shohin, but do they have to be "leaning"? Bahaha ... I'll see myself out.
Matt_W_NZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous - maples, broadleafs. Melaleucas. JRPs
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Victoria Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt_W_NZ »

Promethius wrote: A shohin category has been suggested previously, which I am leaning towards. Thoughts?
I support this idea!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I saw an amazing Wallum Banksia (B. aemula) at the Bonsai Northwest show today - how are banskia to grow from seed?
Banksia generally very easy to germinate. No pre treatment required though it can be more difficult to actually get seeds out of the cones of some species.
After germination some Banksias can be a bit tricky. Many do not like wet roots, especially most WA species.
Most Banksia species are very susceptible to root fungi like Phytopthera.
And you will need to be careful with fertiliser containing high P.

My recommendation for us Easterners is to stick with the more common B. serrata or B. integrifolia. They have proved to be the hardiest and fastest growing species for bonsai.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

Promethius wrote: April 26th, 2024, 7:59 pm A shohin category has been suggested previously, which I am leaning towards. Thoughts?
Yes, please!
I'm a Shohin fan for many reasons, including, I can fit more of them in my bonsai area (I'm always weakening, acquiring more plants/cuttings/pots), and, as I get older (70 now), I can lift them!
shibui wrote: April 27th, 2024, 7:05 am Banksia generally very easy to germinate. No pre treatment required though it can be more difficult to actually get seeds out of the cones of some species.
After germination some Banksias can be a bit tricky. Many do not like wet roots, especially most WA species.
Most Banksia species are very susceptible to root fungi like Phytopthera.
And you will need to be careful with fertiliser containing high P.

My recommendation for us Easterners is to stick with the more common B. serrata or B. integrifolia. They have proved to be the hardiest and fastest growing species for bonsai.
Thanks Shibui, I've recently acquired some banksia seed locally (from a friend's property) and, as I only have 8 seeds, wanted to be sure I'm doing the right thing come spring to get at least 1 plant out of them.
I had it in mind to use my "soft drink bottle propagator" to keep my seed raising mix (they seem to grow in very sandy soil locally) at just the right constant moisture level (moist enough to germinate but not wet). Am I on the right track?
2009-05-15_Propagator.jpg
Thanks,

Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anthonycocco
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Coral Bark Maple

Post by anthonycocco »

Promethius wrote: April 26th, 2024, 7:59 pm Newsflash!

I’ve been contracted by a very generous ceramicist, who was interested in the competition and whose work I’ve been a fan of for some time.
Long story short - I have a really cool pot sitting in my garage for the next 6 years, which will suit lots of natives, and we now have a prize for a judged category in addition to the popular vote.
A shohin category has been suggested previously, which I am leaning towards. Thoughts?
Very keen for a shohin category.
Will help with the variety of growth rates from the wide range of species in the competition - many slow growing species will be disadvantaged otherwise.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I had it in mind to use my "soft drink bottle propagator" to keep my seed raising mix (they seem to grow in very sandy soil locally) at just the right constant moisture level (moist enough to germinate but not wet). Am I on the right track?
Your propagator seems to use some principles from the much used 'bog' method to maintain constant soil moisture but adds extra humidity. It should be a great method but I'd be on the lookout for damping off given the high humidity and lack of air circulation. I think early pricking out into individual pots would be advised and I'd also have some good fungicide on hand just in case.
As you mentioned, banksias don't like wet roots so the constantly damp soil after the roots start might cause issues. Again, early transfer to individual pots is probably a good idea.

I think B. marginata is the only local endemic banksia in the Goulburn area but could be any species if the seed is from garden banksias.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Current Contest”