The annual Bodhidharma encouragement award 2010

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: The annual Bodhidharma encouragement award 2010

Post by bodhidharma »

Bretts wrote:Thanks Kindly Pup. I am not so sure I fit the criteria for this award but I feel like a winner already knowing that at least somebody loves me :D

I would like to nominate Joel.
A very deserving nominee but I will have to leave the reasons for later.
We all love ya Bretts :roll: I would like to hear the reasons for Joel
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

kcpoole wrote:I Second the nomination of Joel by Brett.
He is an up and coming light in the Australian Bonsai scene, and i think we will hear a lot of him ove rthe next 50 years :-)

I think he has the commitment to forum here but also has the stuff to make worthy of the Award by Bodhi.

I also Second the nomination of Brett by Pup.
His commitment to the Forum here is without peer, and his commitment to Aussie Bonsai is un wavering. He gives by doing the hard research for all of us, and posts the results here for us all to benefit from. He is involved in the Gardens at Cowra as a Vollie

Good Onya Bodhi. For people like you, Leigh and Steven are going to push the youngsters of Oz to bigger and better things. Thanks

Ken
Thanks K.C clear and concise on your reasons. and thanks for the accolade.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I would like to nominate Joel.
A very deserving nominee but I will have to leave the reasons for later.
It has been a pleasure to have such a well mannered young man such as Joel involved with the ausbonsai forum. It was obvious that good nature comes naturally to this guy when I had the pleasure of meeting him at the School of Bonsai Summit.
As I understand he is a regular student of the school and is very concise and forthcoming with advice and discussions on the forum.
The respect he shows his Mum for when she can drive him to Bonsai Community events is another testament to the young mans respect for those around him.
I think that he would be honoured and diligent in the care of the English Elm. I think we could expect a well thought out and concise updates on progression of the tree from Joel.
:D
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

i am humbled by the amount of nominations by others to me, just like brett knowing that i have this much support from fellow supporters of the site, and this great life that bonsai has brought me along with great friends is a great feeling :)
the amount i have learnt from just being here is amazing and i have a lot of people to thank for that ;)
thank you all!

jamie :D
Last edited by Jamie on February 26th, 2010, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all types
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: The South Australian Bonsai Society

Post by Chris »

well this is a hard task as there are so many ppl that have helped and have given advice from this site so here goes

i would like to nominate Jamie, Meliquin, Antonio, Brett, Joel, Leigh, Pup, Steve, FlyBri, Jarrod, Jon Chown, stymie, daiviet_nguyen, mudlarkpottery, ozzy, Jow, paddles, Grant Bowie, Jester, lindsay farr, MasonC, Watto, Petra, alpineart, Webos, Japh, Jordy, kvan64, Greth, hugh grant, for there continuing help and imformation.

the chat room is a great :lol: and jamie is always there for first hand help !

thank you everyone for helping me with this madness
NO TREE IS SAFE
Regan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Regan »

I nominate Jamie, He has tried to answer every question I have had, he always tries to answer every question that anyone else has aswell. He continually posts new tips and ideas for everyone and is always full of encouragement. He is active in pretty much every aspect of the forum.

Cheers Regan
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Chris wrote:well this is a hard task as there are so many ppl that have helped and have given advice from this site so here goes

i would like to nominate Jamie, Meliquin, Antonio, Brett, Joel, Leigh, Pup, Steve, FlyBri, Jarrod, Jon Chown, stymie, daiviet_nguyen, mudlarkpottery, ozzy, Jow, paddles, Grant Bowie, Jester, lindsay farr, MasonC, Watto, Petra, alpineart, Webos, Japh, Jordy, kvan64, Greth, hugh grant, for there continuing help and imformation.

the chat room is a great :lol: and jamie is always there for first hand help !

thank you everyone for helping me with this madness
Yeah, Thanks Chris :( that will make the choice soooo much easier :?
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Come on people, :( you have to lift your game!!! We have over 1200 members and we cant think of a person you would like to see be the recipient of an 20-30 year old Potensai.. Surely their are more than 3 or 4 worthy people who would do the Elm justice. Lets get the grey matter working, burn some brain gears and think of worthy people
roka
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by roka »

My vote would be Antonio.. 8-)
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Greth »

I will put my word in for Antonio, for his help, his depth of knowledge, his sense of humour, and his offer of a free haircut, hehehe.
Special mention also to Chris, although hes not that experienced and doesn't post a lot, he has offered to pull up an 8' high olive for me and get it started on the bonsai road. I have no hope of lifting anything this big on my own, and housebound as well, gonna be over an hours drive for him just to get here, maybe he likes my cooking?

Now that is friendly! ( and he would probably love an advanced Elm :) )
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

Post by sreeve »

Hmmmm, There have been really good nominations and short of doubling up on some of the worthy 1248 members nominated so far, I would like to add one other who is a worthy potential recipient.

Considering some of Steven and Bodhidharma’s criteria:
Encouragement award
Members experience (edit – by nature of being an encouragement award I take it to be someone who is relatively inexperienced)
Humbleness
Respect
Enthusiasm and participation in all aspects of Ausbonsai

Before stating my nominee, I reviewed the criteria one at a time:
Encouragement award
People like Joel (JayC) are a stand up start – I wish I had his knowledge and aptitude – even at my age……
He is clearly a man to look forward to in years to come.

Several years ago, (then) youngsters like Jarryd showed all Aussies proud on IBC where we could see him posting and developing. He never threw the towel in and now a few years on, it is pretty clear that he has progressed significantly.
Age shouldn’t be the determining factor and there are many comparatively newcomers who have recently taken up the art.

Without tipping off the age of my nominee, I reflect on a guy down the road from me that I used to sail against. At the time in his early teens he was blown away every race, capsized more times than you could poke a stick at, was immensely determined and never gave in. He was encouraged by a few of the more experienced sailors and today Tom Slingsby has won two world Laser titles and represented Australia in the Olympics.

I know my nominee is not the only deserved youngster, but he does remind me of Tom and surely deserves encouragement.

Members experience (edit – by nature of being an encouragement award I take it to be someone who is relatively inexperienced)
Compared to the likes of Ric, Grant, Pup and many others my nomnee is inexperienced, but considering his age – he is experienced beyond his years.
I have always found it hard to believe how old /young he is.

Humbleness, Respect, Enthusiasm and participation in all aspects of Ausbonsai
Like others this young man has it all.

In light of the above I nominate MasonC.

Like many others he / they are the future and development of our art.

Mason, I believe your family are in the midst of house relocations but be encouraged and give us all something to look forward to in future.

Regards
Steve
Last edited by sreeve on February 26th, 2010, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

i second that nomination steve. young mason is definately one to watch out for in the next twenty years, i beielive he will evetually be a world renowned bonsai artist after seeing some of the work he does now, cant wait to see it in ten or even five years time.
Last edited by Jamie on February 26th, 2010, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
dayne
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper, pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: sunshine coast

Post by dayne »

yeah mason is a great kid just hope he dosnt drift away from it like i did at that age damn partys and girls hahahah
but really hes so stoked on bonsai
Tenacity
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper,fig & jade.
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by Tenacity »

I nominate Mason C as well.
Bend without breaking ...
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

I would like to nominate Heshian / Mario.

I dont know anything about him other than his trees, that he has posted here and that he was/is a student of Leigh's.
So the only criteria i am concerned with is the trees. For me that is what its all about, no more, no less. That is what we are here for. ( no disrespect intended) Any more than that is a bonus.
Mario has been doing bonsai for 3 years and already his trees speak volumes. He shows a solid understanding of design and it is obvious that the horticulture is in place. This is definately one young man to watch out for!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) He is actually doing it, not just talking about it! :D
Leigh you might want to fill in the blanks? ;)

I am also humbled to be nominated and i thank you guys very much, but i dont need the encouragement let alone another tree. I'm just happy sharing what i love most! :D
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Current Contest”