Contest ideas requested

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Contest ideas requested

Post by Steven »

We will be holding regular competitions here at AusBonsai and would like to know what you think would be a fun contest. Please post your ideas here and if we run with something you suggested, you may even win something! ;)
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Contest ideas requested

Post by Jon Chown »

How about a Members choice Bonsai Of the Month Competition. Must be the posters own tree.

It would be a great way to create a library of top class Australian Bonsai in one place.

Jon
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I was thinking something similar but there are many australian artists out there that are happy for their trees to be shown but would not be inclined to post the pictures on the internet.
I would like a contest that gave as much coverage to Aussie bonsai and artists as possible. This could be done by the bonsai not having to be owned by the member posting the tree.
I think this could be accomplished by critera such as-:
The tree must reside In Australia
The picture must be taken by the member
The owner of the tree must give permision for the trees picture to be used.
The artist and or owner must be named and some information of the artist(and tree) must be supplied.
None of this criterea would be aimed at stopping the original artist from entering there own tree.

I think this would give the best libary of Australian artists and thier trees. I also think it would be as much fun for us beginers asd the masters ;)
Maybe this could be less often maybe once a year?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Good idea Jon about members choice.
Not sure about your idea for a competition though soltan. If a tree's wins that is submitted by someone other than the owner, who would get the prize? I don't think I would feel comfortable if someone won a competition with a picture of my tree and got a prize? I do think it's good for people to help others photograph and post a tree if their not able to do it themselves.
S.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

It's a photo Contest that has the added bonus of getting information on bonsai and artists that we generally don't get to hear about on the internet or possibly anywere. If a member goes to the trouble to search out a great tree and take a great picture and give us lots of info I will be very happy to supply the prize my self. First second and third Seriously!
I am very keen catalouge the best bonsaists in Australia not just the best Bonsaist in Australia that enjoy using the computer to talk about them :(
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jon Chown »

Soltan said
am very keen to catalouge the best bonsaists in Australia
I agree whole heartedly with this statement, however I am not exactly sure about the legality of posting someone elses tree without their express permission.

Perhaps we could take a leaf out of AoB's book and do 'People and their Bonsai' interviews. This could acomplish two things, (1) a compilation of excellent bonsai for all Australia to see and (2) and perhaps more importantly, a brief story about the journey that each artist has taken.

Jon
Last edited by Jon Chown on November 26th, 2008, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

soltan wrote:It's a photo Contest that has the added bonus of getting information on bonsai and artists that we generally don't get to hear about on the internet or possibly anywere. If a member goes to the trouble to search out a great tree and take a great picture and give us lots of info I will be very happy to supply the prize my self. First second and third Seriously!
I am very keen catalouge the best bonsaists in Australia not just the best Bonsaist in Australia that enjoy using the computer to talk about them :(
I understand what you are trying to achieve, but this is just talk of a monthly competition, not compiling a book on the best bonsai in Australia. Personally, i would love to see both but i think i would rather see yours whilst relaxing with a nice coffee, sitting in the sun on a Sunday morning after having paid $50 for it.

What are the general thoughts on people entering who are professional?
Peter
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I agree whole heartedly with this statement, however I am not exactly sure about the legality of posting someone elses tree without their express permission.
I am glad you like it. The owner giving permision was one of the criteria that I stipulated. :oops:
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jon Chown »

Peter, I would have no problem paying $50.00 for a hard cover book exclusive to Australian Bonsai by Australian Residents and agree it would make an excellent coffeetable publication, however without putting a damper on it, I do not believe that there would be demand that a printer would take on the risk of such a project. I believe that Deborah Koreshoff had difficulty getting her excellent book 'Bonsai its Art, Science, History and Philosophy' put into print and I think that they had to actually get a low run firm to print the first edition. Of course it is now in reasonable demand - I hope that she still gets royalties.

Jon
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I understand what you are trying to achieve, but this is just talk of a monthly competition, not compiling a book on the best bonsai in Australia. Personally, i would love to see both but i think i would rather see yours whilst relaxing with a nice coffee, sitting in the sun on a Sunday morning after having paid $50 for it.
It is talk about regular contests a time span was not given. Steven has mentioned that the contest he is running now for Australian Native Bonsai will help to compile a bunch of pictures of natives he can use on the site to promote the natives. This is what gave me the idea. This is the essence of any such contest I would have thought to see what is out there and what people are capable off. It was ideas for a contest that is very general. If it ended up being good enough to fill a book I don't see the problem?

Edit I for one would encourage the proffesional entrant
Last edited by Bretts on November 26th, 2008, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jon Chown »

Soltan said
I am glad you like it. The owner giving permision was one of the criteria that I stipulated.
Sorry mate - missed that sentance.

Jon
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I have my Copy signed By Deb Jon on the day of her first Auction. Dam I wish I bought one of her trees. I did not trust my skills enough to buy a $500 tree a couple of years ago.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Jon Chown wrote:Peter, I would have no problem paying $50.00 for a hard cover book exclusive to Australian Bonsai by Australian Residents and agree it would make an excellent coffeetable publication, however without putting a damper on it, I do not believe that there would be demand that a printer would take on the risk of such a project. I believe that Deborah Koreshoff had difficulty getting her excellent book 'Bonsai its Art, Science, History and Philosophy' put into print and I think that they had to actually get a low run firm to print the first edition. Of course it is now in reasonable demand - I hope that she still gets royalties.

Jon
Agreed, it wouldnt be something anybody would do as a money making venture! Deborah's book was first published by Boolarong Publications in Brisbane in 1984 and when you think back about that, what an achievment that was and how far ahead were the Koreshoff's then! I have my signed copy dating back to before i was married, way back when my wife (then girlfriend) was interested in what i was doing! Doesnt time fly when ya havin fun!
Regards
Peter
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Doesn't Deb have the most excellent Writing. It took her 5 mins to get set up comfortable enough to sign the book.
Mine is not personalised like that :shock:
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

soltan wrote:Doesn't Deb have the most excellent Writing. It took her 5 mins to get set up comfortable enough to sign the book.
Mine is not personalised like that :shock:
You know.....thats the thing i remember the most also! It did seem to take her forever to actually put pen to paper. She put a sheet of paper down to cover the book so as not to get any perspiration or anything on my new book, she tested the pen first. Very meticulous. I didnt think much of it at the time but now i am really pleased to have it.
Peter

Return to “Current Contest”