Out From The Shadows: Say "Gday" And WIN!!!

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
whereswally007
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Heaps
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: None yet

Re: Out From The Shadows: Say "Gday" And WIN!!!

Post by whereswally007 »

Hi

My name is wade; I live in NSW near Bathurst (some of you might know the Bathurst races with v8s).
I’ve been interested in bonsai's for many years ever since I was young but when I bought some I killed it then I tried to grow some from seeds and failed so I stopped trying. Then I went to a Japanese garden and saw them and thought I might give it a try again and now I’m just doing research before I start again.

This will be my 8th post and plan on making a lot more so I can learn to get a bonsai to live and look good.

Thanks
If you cant keep up, dont step up.
sonic976
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Flowering Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: A/W bonsai club

Post by sonic976 »

G'day I joined today and have posted 2 times and hope to post more. I have liked bonsai for 3 years.My favourite plant is a Abutilon Megapotamicum "variegata" , Brazilian Bellflower or sometimes called The Chinese flowering Maple .I also like all of the Chinese Lanterns , Abutilon vitifolium .I hope I can make some into bonsai one day. :)thanks sonic976
jozaeh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: none

Post by jozaeh »

Hi everyone,
My Stepdad had a few bonsai a while back, and one year my mum and he bought me a $60 potted and styled juniper squamata as a birthday present from the good ol bonsai world at mudgeereba. That was three+ years ago and i shiver at the size vs cost that we paid for that juniper. Ahh wisdom. So as with alot of you, i'm now hook, line and wallet into this fabulous hobby, with more trees than I need, and finally getting some good experience and skills, and most of all still enjoying the heck out of it. I've made 2 posts on ausbonsai.

My favourite species I own are a crab apple, a mountain ash trunk grown by the skilled hands of Tess at northside, a big peach I recently urban yamadori'd (great shirts guys), and good old chinese elms.

Thanks so much for all the great posts everyone, i've already learned so much and can't wait to contribute in any way I can. (and that pot is gorgeous).

Jozaeh
Last edited by jozaeh on October 27th, 2010, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damo19
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by damo19 »

G'day all,

I have only posted once previously, now have doubled my output. I'm from the Gold Coast Hinterland and have been attempting to learn bonsai for about five years now. My intention since joining the site has been to upload pics of my current plants and get some advice, I now have incentive in the form of a pot to follow this through. I am also in the process of building a bonsai bench to keep our new puppy from eating my Bougy. I'm using the plans courtesy of Jerry Norbury and I will also post photos once finished.

I'm looking forward to increasing my bonsai experience, thanks to you guys.

Cheers,

Damo
Sharp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sharp »

G' Day ladies and gents,

I have been a member of this site since April 25th, 2010, 11:50 am and believe it or check this site just about everyday.
I'm only new to bonsai about a year and thus have little to contribute at the moment hence why i have not posted.
I am not part of any bonsai club nor do i think i will be as i just enjoy doing my own thing but as i am only 20 who knows what might happen in the future.
I enjoy growing all species, however, i really enjoy our Australian natives as they are part of who we are as a country.

Anyway hopefully i will pull my finger out and get into gear but i guess only time will till, nonetheless i find this site very informative and as long as it is around will be using to help further my knowledge of bonsai.

Cheers and take care,
Dom
Rhiannon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Northern Suburbs Bonsai Club

Post by Rhiannon »

What about those of us who've fallen off the wagon and utterly suck at keeping up with online life? :lol:

Just kidding. Though I'd say hi anyway! This is a good kick in the butt to remind me to try and post more often.
.: may your organs fail before your dreams fail you :.
Grizzly
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Grizzly »

Hello to All!

The incentive of a prize was enough to draw this grizzly out of her cave and announce herself......ROAR!!! :lol:

I’m a new member, having joined the site 03/10/2010 & this is my first post.

I have always been in awe of the beauty & serenity of Bonsai but terrified of the thought of ever going near one. Gardening was, as told by my mother, of no financial or practical benefit in a busy and hard life. So for years, I looked and longed to have plants, a garden, whatever, where I could lurk away from life's crazy demands and find a little bit of piece and quiet. Over the last few years I have collected a myriad of plants, cuttings, freebies and rescues from demo sites. I now have an instant garden, allbeit in pots. I know very little about gardening but am learning everyday.

Back in 2005 I purchased a few Bonsai and some pots of young pines on which to practice. I tried my hand at potting up a Fig & a small flowery shrub which was immediately pounced upon by my friends. The shrub didn't make it but the fig I'm told is still thriving today. I went on holidays leaving my bonsai in the care of another enthusiast - that went well however, the person delivering them back left the plants in their car (hot day) and only advised me late in the afternoon. My beautiful Maple shrivelled up, along with the smaller Bonsai. I took them home and placed them in a sheltered, quiet corner of my garden - I didn't have the heart to even take them out of the pots. That was my Bonsai Backbreaker. (I’ve posted some photos of the original collection in my gallery).

Later that year in Autumn/Spring, I looked out the kitchen window to see my other half (120+ kilos of madman) running around screaming "Bonsai!! Bonsai!!" He dragged me to the dreaded corner of the garden where, my beloved Maple was shooting new branches! With apprehensive energy I tended to what remained of my collection but lost a few, mainly small Bonsai from the heat during the bush fire known as the Black Saturday fire (Victoria, Australia). Somehow the Maple survived.

Since then, the Maple has started to come back with determination and I have found renewed enthusiasm to try my hand again at Bonsai. That is how I came to join this site. I look forward to gaining knowledge and developing my skills with your help, instruction and patience. With time I hope to also contribute constructively to the forum.
A woman is expected to be trim, taut & terrific.
A bear is expected to eat itself stupid, sleep for six months, be hairy, grumpy and swat anything that annoys it.

I'm coming back as a bear!!!!
meeke59
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by meeke59 »

HI All, My name is Michelle and I live with my partner Trevor at Moonta in South Australia.
I recenty bought my first Bonsai which is a weeping fig and now I am hooked. I then purhcase another Bonsai 2 weeks ago and gave that to my little 2 year old grandson so that it will live and grow with him. His parents are thrilled with the thought that the Chineses Elm will grow with him. We then took Trevors mums 40 year old Bonsai dow to Adelaide to be repotted as it hadn't been done for over 5 years (poor thing) so it is looking so much better now.
I am interested in a good potting mixture as I want to attempt to creat my own bonsais at home now, So if anyone has a good mixture that is an all arounder please let me know.
Rowdy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai

Post by Rowdy »

Howdy
My name is James and this is my 16th post. I am a forklift driver and I live is Brisbane.
I grew up watching the karate kid movies and first learned about bonsai from them, It wasnt until many years later I started. Just over a year ago I moved in with my then fiancée who had a lot to say about the amount of time I spent on the computer, so i started looking for a new hobby. When shopping at bunnings I seen a cute little fortune fig that i just had to purchace, and later I thought I want to do something with it, so I enrolled in a beginners bonsai course, and I have been totally hooked since(in fact I now get in trouble for the amount of time I put into bonsai as well as the computer).

I live in a unit but I have 7 various beginners spread along my east facing veranda, several cuttings and a couple of trees in the ground at my parents house.

I think that prise pot would really suit my first fig.
Dianna
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Dianna »

Hi

I live in Bathurst. Have a husband, 2 daughters (eldest just finished the HSC, next girl doing the school certificate this year), 2 dogs, several fish and god knows what in the compost bin
There seems to be quite a bit of interest in bonsai out this way. I would love to join the Orange group but there is a clash with another commitment.

This is my 2nd post, first being to throw my hat in the ring for the Melbourne Cup Sweep (and I would have thought an interest in bonsai would satisfy the gambling gene). Which brings my total for posting anywhere to 2.

Will continue to lurk.

Cheers

Dianna
Istari
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japenese Maple

Post by Istari »

Darn it i should have held out longer :) i knew I was being too active :P

Thats one sweet pot! thats definatly worth posting for :) good luck everyone.
JOHNR
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ANY

Post by JOHNR »

Hi my name is John. Have been practicing Bonsai on and off for about 6 years. Joined Ausbonsai earlier this year and your posts / pictures have inspired me to participate more consistently. Also find I am steering more to Natives ( something I considered too hard until finding this site ). My trees are basically small ( back yard is average subrban block ) although one day would love to try a large tree. Keep up the good work Guys . You have already helped me immensely.
taobum
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by taobum »

Hi my name is Keith, I've been killing small trees for about 12 yrs now. In my early 20's a friend showed me his Cottoneaster and I decided I wanted Bonsai, but I never stuck to looking after them as well as I should have. Now with more time on my hands and a renewed interest I recently joined the forum to learn what I can and get a nice collection up and going (in a few weeks when I'm out of this tiny flat). Looking forward to sharing pics and stories with you all once I get started.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

gday to all the new people and welcome to the site!

good luck to all who are in the midst for the pot, they are sensational little pots and will make for a great added part to anyones collection!

I just want to say to the people that are reading this and arent participating to much that it is definately well worth it, I had been doing bonsai for around 4-5 years until I found this site and started participating, once I did start and asking qustions, well they just didnt stop and I am sure I frustrated some too :? :lol:
anyways, this past year or so being online with this site in my area where there isnt any real local clubs, closest being around an hour and a half away that has only just started up I didnt really have much to learn from except continued mistakes and books that werent made for aussie conditions (the info).
in the past year or so I have learnt more and grown as a bonsai artist then the previous 4-5 years of doing it myself and fumbling around!

this place is a great informational resource and people are only to friendly to help out, I hope you all become as active as i am and we all learn something together :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
paulofoz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by paulofoz »

Owsitgoin everyone, I'm Paul, from Kiama NSW.

I would have to be one of the world's greatest procrastinators. I joined a month or two ago and this is my virgin post, I guess you could say I'm losing my cherry.... I have been wanting to make a contribution but when I get on, I get so inspired and I head outside to pot, wire, bend and coax. Everyone who jumps on is so insprational and motivational, I'd just like to say its a great site.

I got hooked back in the early 90's when on a visit to my aunty's place and walking inside her ramshackle hothouse saw a fig with writhing roots and glossy green leaves just busting out of the confines of its pot; it just held a mystique about it I can still remember to this day. She gave it to me and here I am about 50 trees later (I've killed about half of all I've owned since then).

I am just a beginner but the things I have learnt so far in such a short space of time compared to how long I've been dabbling is invaluable and unbelievable. Grow on!

Return to “Current Contest”