Out From The Shadows: Say "Gday" And WIN!!!

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Nic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Out From The Shadows: Say "Gday" And WIN!!!

Post by Nic »

Hi everyone,

My name's Nic, I'm from Austral.

I'll gladly share a bit about myself and my collection for a chance at that pot!! This will be my fourth post.

I grew an interest in Bonsai at the age of fourteen, through a friend. That was somewhere around ten years ago.

I found out about AusBonsai during a trip down to Canberra. I had a visit to the bonsai exhibition and one of the hosts recommended I check it out. A wise move.

Between now and November 30, I plan on sharing stories of my trees. Not all have ended well! Mainly due to the distractions of university and well, a girlfriend. Ha!

Catch you around!
Nic
"Be excellent to each other."

- Bill & Ted
Tinmonkey
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tinmonkey »

Hi all
Daniels my name and so far I only have one post, but then again I havent been a member for very long. :)
I've already found this forum to be a great inviting place full of people who are more than willing to dish out encouragement and advice to those of us just beginning our jurney into the world of bonsai.
I've always been interested in art in many different forms, from simple drawing, to painting and sculpture; right through to what i now do for a living, architecture. And ive always thought of bonsai as a form of living sculpture. Its taken me a few years to learn enough patience to even contemplate beging a bonsai, but now i have and i'm loving it.
So I hope to meet a lot of new people and learn a lot of new things.
Chat to you all soon.
Daniel.
“Size matters not, ... Look at me. Judge me by size, do you?” Yoda
Leevers
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Leevers »

Hello to everyone!

My name is Chris, I'm a 24yr old HV Electrician who works for Rio Tinto deep in the Pilbara, W.A.
I live with a wonderful woman named Jasmin (31) of which I hold close to my heart.
For many years I've had a real close touch with nature and have set out to capture it's beauty in my heart and mind to the best of my ability. From scuba diving in waters otherwise classed as euphoric, to growing many varieties of Chilli among other plant species; I have always had a passion for nurturing the growth of something closely, and precisely.

At the young age of 24, I have always found myself with a very intense curiosity and hidden passion for what we know as the Bonsai. Ever since I saw Danielson hang off the cliff for Mr miagi to retrieve the Bonsai in 'The Karate Kid' I knew that it's something I had to know more about.
I have only just arrived here at Ausbonsai and I'm glad to be here. I have purchased 3 books and are awaiting their arrival in order to learn more and grasp the art Bonsai.

I believe the art of watching something grow and understanding along with respecting nature in it's true form should be something grasped more by our younger generation, and I hope to lead by example.

It's a pleasure to be here, and cannot wait to meet some of the masters I'm told that live here in Western Australia.

5th Post.

Regards,
Chris
Last edited by Leevers on November 23rd, 2010, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mugen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Bougy's, Pyracantha, portulacaria afra.
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by mugen »

Hi :D first post ever.
my name is Jac. Recently been inspired to get into bonsai again. started bonsai as a child of 8 or so encouraged by my late grand mother. She helped me propagate a cutting of a small leafed jade plant which i made into a bonsai. All the bonsai that my grand mother was growing at the time ( mostly conifers) eventually died through neglect after she passed away but my jade plant kept powering on they are so hard to kill lol. my gandad looks after it now and it is the only plant he keeps in his retirement home.
I was inspired to get back into bonsai by a bonsai show i recently saw down at the Fremantle town hall and have been really enjoying it, have collected some moreton bay figs, chinese elms and a great natural yamadori olive i found on a limestone ridge which i will post some pics of later.

Really impressed with this web site thanks for inspiring with all the great info :D
" Abandon concepts, realize all - Encompass emptiness, and dissolve all duality."
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Only 3 days to go and some of the members who have entered have not yet posted the required amount.

Better get typing :D

Oh, and welcome to AusBonsai too!

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
bung
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus

Post by bung »

Hey guys, hope I'm not too late

My names Grant, I'm 21 and live in Rockingham WA.
I only found this forum anout an hour ago so this is my 2nd post. My first was about 5 minutes ago asking for help to save my Banyan Fig haha
My girlfriend bought me my first bonsai on the weekend to take my mind off the fact we had to give our dog away to a new home because we moved into a new rental. She knows I get into my gardening but theres only so much you can do when your renting and can't change the garden.
Thats why once I get the hang of this with my Fig (if it survives last sundays extreme pruning), I plan on trying a few different species of plants, indoor and outdoor, to make up for my lack of control over the garden :D
I look forward to sharing stories, receiving advice and comparing pics with everyone here
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Steven »

G'day,

The eligible entries have been placed into a vessel and the winner will be drawn shortly. (as soon as I finish tidying the house, unstacking the dishwasher, check on the kids, feed the dogs, set the rat trap, grab a beer and sit down ;)

Some entrants have not yet posted the required 20 times. There is still time left...

S.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Steven »

And the winner is... (drumroll emoticon please Mitchell)

Makro!
This awesome Mudlark pot by Penny Davis is all yours mate!

Thanks to all who took part in the competition. I'm sorry that we couldn't send you all a pot. I do hope that now you have 'come out of the shadows' you will continue to be a part of this wonderful bonsai community. It is only due to the contributions from members like yourself that AusBonsai continues to educate and inspire.

Regards,
Steven
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

Wow, very nice pot. Congratulations Macro :D
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Congratulations Mackro. That's a unique pot you have there.
Regards

Taffy.
mugen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Bougy's, Pyracantha, portulacaria afra.
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by mugen »

Congratz Makro !!! :D nice pot
" Abandon concepts, realize all - Encompass emptiness, and dissolve all duality."
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Well done Mackro
Nice Pot :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
makro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper, Maple
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by makro »

Thanks Steven, its an awesome pot. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

My journey has just begun and I must say I have learnt alot from the forum in the past few weeks and this has allowed me to muster the courage to try techniques that I otherwise wouldnt have. I have seen some amazing trees on this forum and hopefully I will create a few decent bonsai in the years to come with your help.
Cheers
MakRo
"The reward is in the doing of it..." quote from the "The World's Fastest Indian"
Bonsai Northwest
makro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper, Maple
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by makro »

The Penny Davis pot was waiting for me when I reached home, superbly packed, a nice early Xmas pressie with a Forum Pin and Sticker to boot :D woohoo

Thanks Ausbonsai and Steven. I love it and is the best pot I have owned till date.

Thanks
Makario
Cheers
MakRo
"The reward is in the doing of it..." quote from the "The World's Fastest Indian"
Bonsai Northwest
DivineByBlood

Post by DivineByBlood »

Hi, my names Emma, i joined a few days ago and have been on here reading as much as possible since, and this is my first ever post! :oops:

I have recently moved house and was in bunnings getting supplies for the vege patch when i saw the bonsai's.
(bunnings doesn't have a very good selection) so i came home and looked them up and fell in love.

I ordered some seeds and yes i know its hard and it takes a long time but i like doing things from start to finish. Anywho i picked a variety of seeds including japanese red maple, tree wisteria, weeping fig, liquidamber, jacaranda, and katsura tree.
I couldn't choose between them all!

I have also learned there is a newcastle club that i might consider joining if my seeds work out. If not i may need to try cuttings (i already have one. A native that im yet to identify) or buy one.

In my spare time im a young mum and a clown. Im facepainting at my local schools fete in just over a weeks time.

I look forward to chatting to you all! :tu:

Return to “Current Contest”