Out From The Shadows: Say "Gday" And WIN!!!

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Out From The Shadows: Say "Gday" And WIN!!!

Post by Steven »

Dear AusBonsai Lurker,

AusBonsai is a free resource where you can view, study and chat about bonsai from the comfort of your own computer. Like regular bonsai clubs, the success of AusBonsai depends on the participation of members.

More than 200 members and in excess of 600 visitors log on each and every day to check what is happening yet, of our 1885 or so registered Members, less than half have ever posted here (and less than half of them have posted more than a handful of times).

In the interests of fostering a friendly and enriching environment for Bonsai discussion, we are offering a hand crafted Penny Davis bonsai pot to coax our silent Members to speak up.

"A PENNY DAVIS POT?!!" you may ask. "What do I need to do to win such a cool prize?"

Entry into the draw to win the pot is simple:

[1] Entry is open to NEW and EXISTING members who have posted LESS THAN 30 TIMES and are residents of Australia.

[2] Register as an AusBonsai Member (if you haven't already). Click here to see a simple tutorial on how easy it is to join.

[3] Fill in your profile via the User CP. Please include your location (the nearest city/town, state and country is fine) - knowing your approximate location helps us build a sense of community, as well as giving other AusBonsai Members an idea of your local climate.

[4] Post a brief introduction and a short explanation about how/when you first became interested in Bonsai. Post in this thread by clicking on the Post Reply button at the bottom left. Your reply MUST include reference to the number of posts you have made here (which can be found by looking at your User Statistics in your profile) and this number must be 30 or under.

[5] Over the next 5 weeks, you must contribute to AusBonsai at least 20 times (that's only 4 times per week on average) by way of replying to threads, starting new topics or posting pictures. Please note that only valid contributions will count, and this will be at the discretion of the Moderation team.

[6] Wait for the draw! In the meantime, you have already broken the ice, so you might as well continue posting your Bonsai photos, questions and stories for your new friends at AusBonsai.com!

The winner will be drawn on Tuesday 30th November 2010. The lucky winner will be notified by PM and the results published on AB.c in this thread. The pot will then be posted Australia-wide at our cost.

Please remember, AusBonsai is a free resource and all we ask is that you contribute your ideas, knowledge and photos to help grow the art of bonsai in Australia.

Welcome aboard, and good luck in the draw!

Regards,
Steven
Penny Davis Mudlark Pottery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FlyBri on October 22nd, 2010, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: Out From The Shadows: Say "Gday" And WIN!!!

Post by bodhidharma »

Nice pot!!! Can i quit and rejoin :roll: I promise i will post :D
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Sweet Pot Steven :-)
Like Bodhi, I want to joinup again so I can win :-)

Nice incentinve for all members to get active online too

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
makro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper, Maple
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by makro »

Guilty!
My name is Makario and I am a Long time lurker and this is my 9th post. :)

I love gardening and came across a bonsai nursery in reservoir "Orient Bonsai" where I attended my first class with Simon on a nice little Juniper, (which I promptly killed due to over-watering). From then on I have been hooked. I have a small (my wife would say too many) collection of starter/need to be styled potential bonsai plants. I don’t have a favourite species, but am partial to maples, pines, azaleas, wisterias, junipers, hawthorns and natives as well. I like to try my hand at everything. ;)

I also love rescuing plants from the nursery bargain section for bonsai... kinda like giving them a new life (lame I know!! :oops: )

Promise to post more in the forums.
Cheers
MakRo
"The reward is in the doing of it..." quote from the "The World's Fastest Indian"
Bonsai Northwest
Noramay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Sale Bonsai Club

Post by Noramay »

Hi there all,

This is my 15th time posting on this site.
I started trying to make bonsai nearly ten years ago, when I was given one as a gift, this tree (chinese elm) which I still have has just been moved into the ground after not performing very well for the last few years and it seems to get uglier with every new thing I learn.

This site is wonderful, with great tips and plenty of very helpful members
cheers Nora
Mummy of three under three, I love having my arms full
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

hi guys!

wow! this is a great little incentive for new members, experienced or not to become part of a wonderful community! you will find that you will learn so much whether or not you have been doing bonsai for 5 mines, 5 days, 5 years or 50 years! it is a very rewarding hobby and I hope to meet some new people and great friends!

good luck to all that are to be up for this pot, Penny makes some great pots and is a great Australian potter!

Good luck and I hope to meet you all soon!

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

What a great prize! I have one Mudlark pot, and I can attest to Penny's attention to detail.

Good luck all, and welcome to AusBonsai.com!

Fly.
benny350
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 13

Post by benny350 »

Hey guys,

I'm Ben, I'm a daily lurker here and this is only my 7th post. I have only been actively practicing bonsai for about 1 and a half years. It was always something that interested me but I never thought to give it a go until recently and I'm completely hooked. I have learned a lot from this site and hopefully I can help contribute to the massive knowledge pool.

Cheers, Ben
Don't make your trees look like bonsai, make your bonsai look like trees
ronnie_g
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by ronnie_g »

Hullo to everyone,

My name is ronnie. I'm new to Bonsai, but not to the world. Fave pastimes are painting, photography, breadmaking and gardening. I've just received my first bonsai for my birthday yesterday. I've always been fascinated by this gorgeous art and have been meaning to make room in my full life for it, so now that I'm a bona fide granny, I'm going to launch in. I will have to join the local club here soon, but in the meantime, 'ausbonsai' looks cosey.

cheers

r
Oooohhh.... I hope I don't kill it!
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi all
John(Boom 64),long time reader ,2 posts as of yesterday.The site has been an inspiration so much better than books. Hopefully i can contribute in some way,as i am heavilly in debt to many on the Aus Bonsai site.
Thanks John.
jase
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azailia
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by jase »

Hi everyone,

I really love this site and Ive posted 19 times.............I live in Adelaide and
I love Pines and Azalea..........Ive always wanted a formal upright Norfolk pine!!!
May be Impossable but will try one day. Dont have any Bonsai just yet but looking
forward to some wild olive seedlings to mature..........My other hobbies include
playing trumpet in my Jump Swing Band LUCKY SEVEN and restoring classic cars.
My recent resto is my 57 Plymouth Belvedere. Thanks again for a great site.

Jase
Picture 381.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Post by BirchMan »

Hi all,
My name's Matti from Perth and i've been interested in bonsai for about 5 years. In 2005 i got my first smallish trees, a nice cascade juniper and a moreton bay fig - the fig's still going but the juni was cooked on a brick wall :(
After that it was only this year that i really got going, in fact after discovering this very site. Going through the photos and techniques made me realise that top quality trees can be achieved within 5 years rather than the 15 or 20 i first thought. Since then i've been a daily visitor here and my backyard's become a series of benches with trees in development, the veggie garden's growing japanese maple seedlings and i had the mini greenhouse stacked with cuttings over the winter.
Looking to become a regular contributor as i learn more..
Cheers,
Matti

ps this is post number 25.
corko
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by corko »

Also guilty as charged.

Hi I'm Adam, I've posted 18 times. I've been interested in bonsai for a good 15 yrs, my parents gave me my first tree when i was 16, a PJ fig and I still have it, currently has a air-layer on which I'm hoping to remove soon.

I've always been interested in plants and especially bonsai, many of my plants are small starters and I am also a sucker for the 'bargains' sections at my local nurseries.
I've been going to the Central Coast Bonsai Society for only the past few months and have enjoyed it a lot, this site has inspired me to make the time to get back into bonsai.
I look forward to being a more active and contributing member on this site and making some local bonsai buddies.
There's a choice.....nothing's gained from the path we know.
soda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The last one i killed :-(

Post by soda »

Hi Soda from Beaumaris in Vic.

9 posts (in 4 mths :oops: )and hopefully growing, lots of reading and looking. Always loved trees, possibly from early childhood memories of my favorite place/holiday. We annually went to Mt Buller and the lounge room had these cut out corners that had magnificent snow gums braving the elements, almost like a cold dog wanting to come in. The trunks are still something that takes my breath away.

Bought my first Bonsai a Juni Procumbens Nana at a Sydney market in around 1997. Whilst since I have added (and killed) to this it remains alive and has 20 mates. Though every winter I scratch the bark, sure it has died and it always bounces back around now. Whilst most are the usual species I do lean towards natives and rarer types incl Pussy Willow(i think), Mountain Plum Pine, Huon to name a few.

Play a bit of golf and my home track is often reffered to as 'the tree farm'. In the 30's 40's they planted quite a collection of natives and imported species. So I do get my big tree fix there, Swampies, Irish Strawberry? cedars and some Council recognised magnificent gums, again to name but a few.

Cheers Soda
Last edited by soda on October 26th, 2010, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Hi Steven, my name is Graeme and I have posted 249 times. That is one very sweet pot. Can I please win it, PLEASE ?

Great incentive, but I don't know why anyone would need one to join in with this great site and it's wakky crew. (thats the suck bit for an extra chance to win the pot, although I am guessing it isn't going to help me much :lol: ;) )
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion

Return to “Current Contest”