The Great AusBonsai Design An Emoticon Competition

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

The Great AusBonsai Design An Emoticon Competition

Post by Steven »

Everyone loves an Emoticon!
To help grow the love we are holding The Great AusBonsai Design An Emoticom Competition with sweeeettttt prizes - Prises that money can't buy.

"What's an emoticon" you may ask. An emoticon (pronounced [ɪˈmoʊtɪˌkɒn]) AKA Smilie is a facial expression used to express a writer’s mood. Emoticons are often used to alert a responder to the tenor or temper of a statement, and can change and improve interpretation of plain text. e.g. :D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek: (just to name a few)

Everyone is invited to participate, so if you are a freelancer, passionate graphic designer, play all day with Adobe Photoshop or have a friend (or 12 year old sibling) that can create fresh new emoticons – please get involved! Even if you have no design or computer skills you can still get involved and win great prizes...

We are looking for new custom BONSAI RELATED emoticons and variations of the existing ones. Perhaps you see a real need for a useful emoticon? Maybe you just want to make something cute? Submit as many as you like.

Timeline:
The contest starts NOW - 18th November 2010 and it will end on 18th December 2010 at 12 noon Sydney time.

Guidelines:
The emoticon should fit the style of AusBonsai and be related to bonsai in some way. Think about those threads where someone has written "now where's that drool, or envy, or chainsaw, or trunk chop smilie" etc. The more original and the more clever the better.
The size should be 15x15pixels to 30x30pixels. But if they are really good who care about the size, we''ll resize it after.
File type/format isn’t a problem, just submit them in any way you can by replying to this thread and attaching your design. If you like you can propose the written version of the emoticon (i.e. >:), <3 or d(^_^)b etc)
If you have no ability to design an emoticon, just reply with your ideas and if someone uses them to create a smilie, you may get a prize too!

Prizes:
The best emoticon as judged by AusBonsai Administrators will receive a… Where's that drumroll emoticon!

Janet Selby AusBonsai 2010 signature series pot

Consolation prizes include AusBonsai stickers, AusBonsai pin badges and maybe even more pots!

Resourses:
For a tutorial on creating a simple emoticon, see https://jamaal10.deviantart.com/art/Emot ... l-66369586
For some free software to help you create an emoticon visit this site https://emote-maker.en.softonic.com/

If you have any questions, tips, advice or links of interest please let us all know by posting a reply. Please don't keep any usefull information to yourself, you must give to receive and if you post something really useful you may just win a prize.

Here are some ideas that I have found by Googleing Tree Emoticon. Perhaps someone could use this idea, make it bonsai-like and submit a whole series of emoticons.
pine-tree-expressions from istockphoto.com.jpg
or this one;
pine-tree-expressions 2 from istockphoto.com.jpg
And how about an Aussie thumbs up!
thumbs_up_nathan_eady_01.jpg
Good luck and thanks in advance for participating!

Regards,
Steven

The fine print:
By entering this Contest you agree that:
1. You will comply with the above guidelines as long as they suit you (just like the bonsai guidelines ;))
2. You will comply and accpt the decisions of AusBonsai Administrators, which are final and binding;
3. Entries are your original work, have not already have been published or submitted to other competitions and do not infringe the rights of any other person;
4. You grant AusBonsai an exclusive, transferable and sub-licensable, royalty-free, world-wide, perpetual license to display, distribute, reproduce, modify, translate and/or create derivative works from the entries or any parts of them, in any media and for any purpose, including but not limited to advertising and promotion of AusBonsai and its websites, products and services (pause to take a breath);
5. Any entry material reproduced by AusBonsai will NOT include a credit to you except for in this thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Re: The Great AusBonsai Design An Emoticon Competition

Post by Steven »

By the way... some time ago someone created and posted a Buzzings emoticon but I can't remember who it was and I can't find it anymore :roll: .
I'd appreciate it if someone could find it or remember who posted it.

S.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

Here's the thread Steven, unfortunately, looks like the Internet bandwidth gobbledock beat us to it. I'm sure Krusty could knock up another one.
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=5154&p=59834&hilit ... ogo#p59834

Are mods allowed to enter Steven...? :D
So small Gifs are a go too?
Last edited by Mitchell on November 18th, 2010, 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

Ok, gimme a break it's my first go. :D Got to work the loop speed out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mitchell on November 19th, 2010, 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

"If you have no ability to design an emoticon, just reply with your ideas and if someone uses them to create a smilie, you may get a prize too!"

Do you guys a deal, pm me with your idea/pic and I'll re-size it, animate it or whatever you like from your description. I'll then send it back to you and you can post it as yours.

To be fair though, I will only carry out your idea, not add my own twist to it. Therefore I will be just producing your idea, which you can not yourself.

Is that fare Steven, if I stick to only doing what they ask?
Please bare in mind it is a lil' bit time consuming, so this service will only be available to those that can't because they don't know how to create them / it is out of their capabilities.
Regards, Mitchell.

Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Time for a prune!

Post by Mitchell »

Here's another one, done by me. Time for a prune... Where's that emoticon when you need it...??!! Oh there it is! *SNAP!!* :D :roll:
done2.gif

Edit- Why not, here's a set of knob cutters doing the funky munky also. :)
done3.gif
Last edited by Mitchell on November 19th, 2010, 3:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

Fish
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum, Ficus, Elm
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Fish »

snip snip

TIME FOR A PRUNE....lol
I DONT SUFFER FROM INSANITY, I RELISH IN EVERY MOMENT OF IT
狂信的な盆栽
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

16-Bit bonsai

Post by Mitchell »

Your going to be sick of me by the end of this.

76 frames, drawn in Microsoft paint, using Microsoft Gif animator to put it together.

16-Bit bonsai If only it was that easy. ;)
16 bit bonsai.gif
Last edited by Mitchell on November 19th, 2010, 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

Fish
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Fish »

is that 76 individual times you repeated the drawing and added another dot each time...wow
狂信的な盆栽
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

That's the principal, but I did them in reverse order. Took a tiny picture of a bonsai resized to 30x30pixels in paint, then removed a small branch off the top/saved as gif image, then the next/saved as gif image, then the next/saved as gif image, until the tree was gone, then did the seed. I put those in reverse order to make the sequence. It's quicker/easier to erase than draw, then reverse it.

Some of the "drawn frames" are multiples, to make the sequence smoother. :) So in answer no not 76 hand drawn frames. Should have been clearer. :)
Regards, Mitchell.

Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Hi Steven, i didn't design this one but i love it Craig
worship.gif
Fish
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Fish »

That is still quite an effort, I have learned patience with Bonsai, but I can't say that I have enough patience to do this..lol

Any word from Stephen yet.
Fish
Mitchell wrote:That's the principal, but I did them in reverse order. Took a tiny picture of a bonsai resized to 30x30pixels in paint, then removed a small branch off the top/saved as gif image, then the next/saved as gif image, then the next/saved as gif image, until the tree was gone, then did the seed. I put those in reverse order to make the sequence. It's quicker/easier to erase than draw, then reverse it.

Some of the "drawn frames" are multiples, to make the sequence smoother. :) So in answer no not 76 hand drawn frames. Should have been clearer. :)
狂信的な盆栽
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

This has taken me bloody ages and I'll have to streamline it over the next few days but you'll get the point.

Trunk chop.

So when someone comes on and say's: "I got this new tree and I'm wondering what I should do with it?".
Without saying a word you can reply:
animation.gif
Because we all know that's what we're all thinking! :twisted: :twisted: Hahahahahaaaa
Last edited by Waltron on November 19th, 2010, 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Hi Waltron
You knwo you should leave some foliage on if it is a Pine or juni :-)

this one must be for a deciduous tree Eh!

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Noramay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Sale Bonsai Club

Post by Noramay »

OK you've had me thinking, but no time to do them at the moment.

firstly I was thinking something to say 'time for a drink' maybe a pic of a beer can with a watering can.
As in all the hard works done and now all it needs is a drink ( and you would need a drink too)

Cheers Nora
Mummy of three under three, I love having my arms full

Return to “Current Contest”