Bonsai Pottery

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
bonsaipotter
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 27
Bonsai Club: QBS

Bonsai Pottery

Post by bonsaipotter »

Out of frustration at the commercial offering for pots and the fact that I needed quite a few I started about 12 months ago on the journey to make my own.
It has been an interesting journey which I've logged in my blog if you are interested in a read. From zero experience in ceramics, I've had to learn a lot about clay and glazes; from managing it in the plastic state all the way through to deformation free stoneware temperature firing. It's a really interesting craft and there's a lot of science there too that you need to get your head around if you want to flatten the learning curve.

I'm about at a stage now after having made about 20, where I'm almost happy to have my pots seen in public. In fact I did have three of them in the recent local bonsai show.

I've just signed up to the forum and have been working out how to navigate and upload etc and with that I'll get some pictures uploaded over the weekend.

In the mean time you might want to have a look at my blog at http://www.bonsaipotterycoy.blogspot.com

Thanks
Last edited by bonsaipotter on September 14th, 2012, 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Re: Picture file attachment

Post by Waltron »

Scroll down half a page to find it.
> Choose file > Select the picture > Add the file
It'll then be listed above the Option/Upload attachment option where you'll be given the option to write a file comment, place online or delete file.
Look forward to seeing some of your pots. :tu:

EDIT: The above post was completely re-written in the time it took me to write this reply.
Last edited by Waltron on September 14th, 2012, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Re: Bonsai Pottery

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Your pots are really lovely.
I look forward to seeing more of them.
Penny.
billa
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Libani
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Nut (online)

Post by billa »

Awesome pots....really from zero to what you have in your blog???!?! I would defintely quite the day job....

Can i buy one...maybe two?
The only way to ensure the triumph of evil...is for good men to do nothing.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I thoroughly enjoyed your blog and admiring your work. I am very struck with your ovals. It is difficult to get good, large ovals
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

My compliments! Exquisite work. :tu:
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Hey potter it is very clear in the piece that you are one talented guy. I have done 2 terms of pottery in the past and know the committment ( physically and financially) it takes to get to this level in 12months. I can only say that it is inspiring to see your work from the point of view that i would like to pursue pottery again in the future as well as there are obviously going to be some more high quality Aussie bonsai pots to pick from in future !!! Thanks for sharing and best of luck keepm coming please !!! :tu:
Regards Antonio:
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Post up some prices and let us at 'em!
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Just in time for spring, prices if possible please.
bonsaipotter
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaipotter »

Thanks for your kind remarks.
My goal has been to produce a high quality artisarnal product. As you may see from the blog, that has so far resulted in lots of experiments, lots of frustrations and lots of learning and I still have a long way to go. As with most things the more you learn the more there is to know. I wanted to make a larger size pot right from the start and figured that if could solve the problems at that scale I could always go down in size later and it should be easier.

Here are some pictures that aren't on the blog, of a couple of shapes I'm working on. Both of these pots are only at bisque so far. They are my pots 21 and 22. The clay is Clayworks RGH stoneware and it has that little reddish iron oxide colour still at bisque but fires a buff colour at maturity. The target is cone 6 glazing.

The first is the rectangular pot. At this point it is about 410 x 300 x 100 and will come down another 5% on glaze firing.
P1130423.jpg
P1130432.jpg
P1130429.jpg
And the second is an oval pot which is at bisque is about 440 x 330 x 90 and will also shrink further.
P1130436.jpg
P1130433.jpg
P1130434.jpg
Happy Potter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bonsaipotter
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaipotter »

And thank you Waltron for the tip on picture posting, I needed it. Once you know its easy isn't it.
Cheers,
Happy Potter
bonsaipotter
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaipotter »

Oh yes there were a couple of questions on prices. Well all in good time, soon. I know what the imported pots sell for and like everyone else in Australia with all things can't see how they make them for that price! The pots and glazes are still not quite where I want them yet but I'm not far off. When I have some to sell you'll be the first to know.
Cheers,
Happy Potter
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Your pots are incredibly symmetrical, very professional looking. What process do you use to make them?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Most likely slip cast Scott.

Just checked the blog - Look at some of the earlier entries for details on making plaster moulds.
Slip casting is a great method to produce a number of pots all the same. The drawback is you need a new mould for every new pot shape and size.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Scott Roxburgh wrote:Your pots are incredibly symmetrical, very professional looking. What process do you use to make them?
shibui wrote:Most likely slip cast Scott.

Just checked the blog - Look at some of the earlier entries for details on making plaster moulds.
Slip casting is a great method to produce a number of pots all the same. The drawback is you need a new mould for every new pot shape and size.
Happy Potter mentions fairly early in his blog that the pots are made by pressing clay into the plaster moulds.

After just over a year, I like what you are producing HP, both the pots and especially the glazes. Keep up the good work. Australia needs our own Gordon Duffett.

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”