Drying cupboard

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Drying cupboard

Post by MattA »

Over the cooler months my open shelves were fine for drying pots but as the weather warms up I had a few crack from drying too quickly. After a bit of brainstorming I came up with this simple solution using heavy plastic sheeting.
dc.jpg
It has been extremely effective despite the rough fit job, the 2 pots at the rear were made 3 days ago & still have a ways to go before being fully dry :tu:
peak.jpg
Now I just need a suitable wet cupboard to replace the plastic storage containers I currently use, while effective they limit the size of pots I am able to work on over longer periods. I spied a good small fridge yesterday but it had no shelves so the hunt continues...
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Booga
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: acer
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Drying cupboard

Post by Booga »

Your pots look good from what I can see Matt, good job :tu2:
Are you firing them or letting them air dry? And what is the fridge for :? I am not into Pottery so excuse my ignorance. I have a spare fridge at home but was thinking of using it for home brew...mmmm :beer: :beer: :beer: :tu2:
AC/DC died with Bon, And I am on the hwy to hell too...
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Thanks Booga, just drying at the moment. The kiln is here & one day when it will be running.
The firdge doesnt need to be working its for storage of work thats not complete, because its airtight it maintains moisture levels in the clay so it remains workable. It can also work the other way & help to rehydrate work that has dried too much but still needs completing. :tu2:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

Why not get yourself a nice bookcase with doors and just glue rubber to the border of the doors? I'm pretty sure most hardware joints will stock door sealant to maintain air tightness.

Just a thought.

-Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Mo, The timber will absorb some moisture and it would be hard to fet an full seal. A fridge or freezer is already watertight & it will save something going to landfill.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

Matt-tastic :hooray:

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”