Pots by Lynette

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Pots by Lynette

Post by Bretts »

You could always move those ceramic artworks to the back :lol: Thats if they have not all sold by now :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Lynette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour, Australian National Bonsai Assoc., APBS

Post by Lynette »

Thanks Grant
My Kiln is still playing up but I am looking at getting a new one soon, a much biger one.Thanks to the governments 50% rebate for business. So soon I will be able to make some new pots of a decent size.
Re the cracked pot I heat the clay with a heat gun untill it is quite dry on the top and then roll by hand using a length on wood on either side to get the rolling the correct size. I tried doing it on the slab roller, but the cracks didn't work as well.
All intial rolling is done on the slab roller.
It is easy to make a plaster mould. Just fine a plastic or metal shape you like and mix the pottery plaster in a 1:1.4 plaster to water and go for it. You can either make the mould by pouring the plaster into the shape and when the mould is completly dry coating it well with a soft soap/oil mix and then make another lot of plaster and pour over the top. Some times it is a bit hard to seperate the two plaster pieces, placing them in water often helps. I am a bit lazy and just make the mould by placing the shape upside down and pouring the plaster around it. To keep the plaster from flowing out the shape must be put into a container or a wall built around it and all cracks filled with clay. If this is not done well, you will end up with plaster everywhere, as I once did when I let the clay covering the cracks dry out. The shape also needs to be well covered with the soft soap/ oil mix. Have a go.
Lynette
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Grant Bowie wrote:Lovely pots Lynette.

I will try to ensure we have a display of Australian pots eventually at the NBPCA; once we are at the permanent site and have space to display them.
Hi Grant, is this still on the cards? If so I'm sure it will definitely compliment the collection and add to the experience :aussie:
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”