POTTERS....A call to arms

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Re: POTTERS....A call to arms

Post by JaseH »

regwac wrote: As to websites ,mother are very difficult to maintain and frankly not designed for items that are constantly changing like pots and trees ( no two are the same ).
Have to agree with you there Graham, we tried for a while to sell online but the behind the scenes work required to list and keep it updated with stock was just too much.
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB
Bek
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Northern Bonsai Club, Adelaide, Bonsai Society of SA, Vic Native Club

Post by Bek »

trident76 wrote:Hi Pat,
Luke Parsons here,
I have long admired your bonsai pottery.
Well done to you for organising an exhibit of the finest bonsai pottery that Australia has to offer.
I have been making the occasional pot for myself for some years, but in the last 12 months have made a concerted effort to develop a range of bonsai pottery to supply bonsai enthusiasts in Australia.
I have recently started supplying members of the South Australian Bonsai Society with bonsai pots, which I suppose officially makes me a commercial bonsai potter.
I have attached (hopefully) a sample photo of some of the bonsai pots I produce.
All pots are made by hand, no moulds are used.
I particularly enjoy making drum pots, glazed oval forms, and abstracted forms.
I can be contacted on 0488 244 318 or luke.parsons@internode.on.net
Cheers,
Luke
SDC14585.JPG
These pots are awesome Luke! I may need to invite myself around with some spending money, haha! Although finding a tree which deserves such a pretty pot might be a problem!

Sent from my HTC_0PKV1 using Tapatalk
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy

Post by Pat K »

Kevin

From one cranky-old-man to another I understand your frustrations however, with a bit of detective work most potters can be reached. I would start with a PM to the dozen or so that occasionally show their wares on AusBonsai. I'm sure you'll get a response and directions to web addresses...if they have one! Personally, I don't! I did have a web address , but like you, I'm not great on computers and so let it fold.
I know it's not ideal, but enough folk come to my door to keep me busy as a hobby potter. You're very welcome to drop in if you find yourself in my part of the country...Adelong, near Tumut :wave:

Regards,
Pat
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Thanks Pat,

I have collected a few of the Ausbonsai potters posters contact details. Just very surprised with the number of potters that do post as to why they wouldn't add themselves to the AusBonsai Directory (free as i understand), or even add their details to a signature when posting.

Unfortunately, due to geography, commitments or $$$ not all of us can make it to Canberra at the specific timing of all the Bonsai festivities. However, all of us do travel from time to time and the one off sales the Potters could obtain from any of the 8000 members like me heading down to Canberra very shortly from Sydney, which i'm sure the missus would be more than happy to take a detour here and there.

My sincere apologies for interrupting your thread. I will create another more specific for my needs.

Thanks again,
Kevin
bonsaipotter
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 27
Bonsai Club: QBS

Post by bonsaipotter »

Good idea Pat, I'm in. I liked the way the competition was run in the US, but agree we don't need it to be judged. Would be good to have three pots each to some sort of similar spec perhaps?
You can get me on happypotter.au@gmail.com
Cheers,
Steve
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Kevin wrote: Maybe your list of Aussie Bonsai potters can be forwarded to a Moderator so the AusBonsai Directory can be updated.

Having a list of Aussie Bonsai Potters with their associated websites in one place would be a tremendous advantage to both Potters and Customers.
Excellent Idea :yes:
the directory can only have details for each artist that we know of.
When it was setup, we tried to contact everyone for information and what is there is what we got.

If anyone knows ANY details of a nursery, club or potter that shodu be listed, then please send us the info and it will be added. An out of date / incomplete directory is useless, but we depend on the members to provide the content :yes:
Send any updates to the mod team and we will ensure it gets update as when required.

ps or just submit a listing yourself
https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/directory/submit-a-listing/

Ken
Last edited by kcpoole on July 5th, 2016, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger

Post by Pat K »

Of the 23 bonsai potters on my list, only 4 have provided their postal address. There is still plenty of time but it doesn't appear to be very encouraging at this stage. I know that not everybody is a daily AusBonsai tragic so if you're in contact with a commercial bonsai potter (one who offers pots for sale), who you think may be interested, please give that person a nudge.

On the question of providing details for the AusBonsai potters list, I think that information should come from the individuals concerned.

Why am I not there? I think the concept is too static...compare that with the Aust. Bonsai Potters page which provides a changing list of recent bonsai pots (and hundreds of older posts), from supporting potters and then the opportunity of starting a dialogue directly or with PM's with the potter concerned.

Regards,
Pat
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Australia

The above was always useful in the past, but it wont let you add new entries. I logged into the wiki, but it gives an error when trying to add new potters.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Lynette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour, Australian National Bonsai Assoc., APBS

Post by Lynette »

Hi Pat,
I missed this post as my son was very ill the last half of last year and only know about this when I was Leight's flyer. I e-mailed him this morning before I thought to check on Ausbonsai. I definitely want to be included now I have free time as my son is now on the mend.
I will contact you by pm with details of what I can do. I have already booked my accommodation from Wednesday to Saturday.
Lynette Smith
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger

Post by Pat K »

Hi Lynette..... Happy to have you on board!
I've sent you the letter that I sent to the other potters which will bring you up to date.
Again, welcome.

To others who may not have seen the info on the NBPCA post, this is what we're up to. There are (now) twelve potters involved who will combine to show, in exhibition, their wares. As well as this, throughout the week, those potters who can make it to Canberra will be demonstrating their potting prowess in the same room as the exhibition.
It'll be great to see lots of you there.

Cheers, Pat
benrobertson4730
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by benrobertson4730 »

Pat K wrote:Of the 23 bonsai potters on my list, only 4 have provided their postal address. There is still plenty of time but it doesn't appear to be very encouraging at this stage. I know that not everybody is a daily AusBonsai tragic so if you're in contact with a commercial bonsai potter (one who offers pots for sale), who you think may be interested, please give that person a nudge.

On the question of providing details for the AusBonsai potters list, I think that information should come from the individuals concerned.

Why am I not there? I think the concept is too static...compare that with the Aust. Bonsai Potters page which provides a changing list of recent bonsai pots (and hundreds of older posts), from supporting potters and then the opportunity of starting a dialogue directly or with PM's with the potter concerned.

Regards,
Pat
Hi Pat,

Could you please provide a link to the Aust. Bonsai Potters page?

Thanks, Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Crape Myrtle
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Post by Paul W »

Just look up the wiki at top of this :o :o page
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.
A. A. Milne
Frankeldein
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Frankeldein »

Wiki is seriously short on listing even the potters who attended the first event, I have cards from all.. As has also been stated in this thread, the wiki will not accept new entries to the page...

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”