A Potters Hard Luck Story

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

A Potters Hard Luck Story

Post by Watto »

Last year the NBPCA announced a pot acquisition prize and although I am only an enthusiastic amateur I thought I would like to make a pot to enter into the competition. There was no chance of winning but just participating is the fun part.
So in November I started the design, then commenced the construction. That was followed by a few months of drying, a bisque firing, glaze application and then the final firing. Four months of anticipation coming down to this weeks kiln opening :fc: .
Disappointment to say the least! Although the outside looks good in my opinion, the inside not so good :x .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Re: A Potters Hard Luck Story

Post by Jan »

:palm:
The outside is awesome; love the texture, the pot body colour and the oval shape.
Commiserations.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

What a shame Watto :shake: nice looking pot, love the outside texture and colour. My only criticism… (which is just a pet hate of mine) is the top glaze doesn’t go down low enough inside the top of the pot. I find if the soil level is a bit low it shows the clay colour along with glaze drips down the inside. Like I said just my pet hate. My opinion only.
Do you have time left to make another pot Watto? If you do you should as I like your pots.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the kind words.
The glaze on the inside Kirky goes down about 2cm, it gets lighter coloured the lower it goes down, greener at the top and browner towards the 2cm mark.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Just to show I wasn't talking porkies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

That's a nice looking pot :imo: I like what you've done here. That's a shame about the cracks after all that effort, but keep up the good work. Onwards and upwards!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Bad luck Watto!!
It was a nice looking pot too. That’s a lot of time and effort for a whole lot of disappointment… it was obviously a pot made by a bonsai guy, drainage holes and wire tie-down points everywhere!! :tu:
Hope there was something to learn from this (not sure what, I don’t do ceramics… but hopefully something!) and the next one benefits from this experience… keep at it!
:beer:
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Thanks Watto couldn’t see that on the first pick. Don’t get discouraged keep making pots :tu: According to many potters I know it does occasionally happen to even the best of them.
Cheers
Kirky
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Is the bottom thinner than the sides? That might be why the sides have stayed stable, and the bottom has pulled itself apart. Or possibly uneven drying - the sides may have been drier than the base when they were put together. I must admit if the sides are intact I'd be awfully tempted to fill the cracks with something stable under constant moisture, and use it... The texture and the glaze treatment on the sides are good fun - nice work!

Gavin
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Great idea Gavin! A bit of gorilla glue should do the trick :tu:
Cheers
Kirky
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by Luke308 »

Watto wrote:Last year the NBPCA announced a pot acquisition prize and although I am only an enthusiastic amateur I thought I would like to make a pot to enter into the competition. There was no chance of winning but just participating is the fun part.
So in November I started the design, then commenced the construction. That was followed by a few months of drying, a bisque firing, glaze application and then the final firing. Four months of anticipation coming down to this weeks kiln opening :fc: .
Disappointment to say the least! Although the outside looks good in my opinion, the inside not so good :x .
Go to your local repco or burson auto parts and get a glue called Q-bond. It has a graphite powder that yoh sprinkle on the the glue to help it set stronger.

I have done this on a pot back in 2015 and it is still holding together no worries.

It had cracked bottom similar to your pot

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”