Couple of Unusual Pots

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Couple of Unusual Pots

Post by Bretts »

This first pot is one of my Mates Pol's. After it dried he did not like it so I snapped it up before he put it in the reclaim bucket.
When I went into pottery today he wanted to know what glaze I had used on it so I worked out he liked it again :P

I might find the right tree for it one day but until then I think it will make a great accent pot for succulent or cactus maybe?
pot1.jpg
pot2.jpg
pot3.jpg
pot4.jpg
pot5.jpg
pot6.jpg
This is one of mine from a few years ago. It took me ages to build as each brick is a separate piece to try to make it look realistic. I was happy with the result but not the glaze :| I had it sitting in at the Pottery club as I wanted to have another go at getting the glaze right but was talked out of it?
pot7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on May 25th, 2010, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: Couple of Unusual Pots

Post by bodhidharma »

I love the first one for an accent planting or even a little cascade the jury is out on the second one for mine. In the olden days of knights and Bowmen they had to plant the trees they made bows out of (dont quote me) Yews, inside the castle grounds or else the goats ate them and i think they were poisonous. You could replicate that scene with this pot.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

:lol: Just a bit of fun Bodi. I have been growing some root over ornament as the idea was suggest it was a shrine that was grown over by a large tree like we see he figs do ;) One is now much too large. I might try again :|

The yew style is a good thought but I imagine that as a much too small a tree so I am not sure.

Definatly glad I saved Pol's from the reclaim bin :)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

Second pot try a 'root over ruin' Port Jackson and get your own Aussie Ankor Wat going.... You would lose it in the end when the fig got too hearty but it could be good fun.

First one could be good with a tree and accent plants... it has a wonderful surface texture.
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Post by Amanda »

I reckon that second one is pretty special, dibs if you decide to part with it ;) My first thought was ficus with whole heap of roots cascading down and over..
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy

Post by Pat K »

Cool pots Brett...love the texture and the thought behind the first one and the second pot deserves another go! Get onto Clayart and search for a dry desert glaze....I'd give you my limestone glaze except you'd share it with everyone.. :P

Pat
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

good effort Brett
I like the second on better :-). A bit shiny but that might weather out some.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thanks Guys I will be sure to pass the nice words onto Pol and make him wish he didn't give it away even more :lol:
Some great thoughts about the second one I might have to get motivated on that instead of waiting for the right root over ornament as I planned :)
senseijames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Swamp Cypress, Liquidambars
Bonsai Age: 39
Bonsai Club: Kinnoto Bonsai Group

Post by senseijames »

Bretts wrote:Thanks Guys I will be sure to pass the nice words onto Pol and make him wish he didn't give it away even more :lol:
Some great thoughts about the second one I might have to get motivated on that instead of waiting for the right root over ornament as I planned :)
Nice pots Brett, what are your thoughts on a semi cascade in the first pot sort of sweeping partially around the pot, maybe a Juniper something of that type of foliage.... love the detail and thought you have put into the second pot, don't know if this would work, have you given a thought to an oxide wash if you are trying to tame down the gloss, I too reckon a ..ROR...root over ruin, would look great and something totally different, ?? MB Fig...Qld Small Leaf Fig...PJ Fig..?? maybe even a Cork Bark or Chinese Elm for something different.Cheers
James
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hey Brett, your mates pot reminds me of a burnt out stump in the bush, perfect home for a Cymbidium suave or Lomandra, replicating where they are both found in the wild, Cymbidium always in rotting stumps or sections of tree, Lomandra amongst other things often growing out of the charcoal remains of trees.

The ruins pot is great, tho you are spot on about the glaze... go back to the pottery club, trust your own vision and dont let anyone take you away from your path.... The idea of root over ruins is the instant one that comes to mind, tho I am sure i saw photo's amongst the AABC posts of a demonstrator planting into replica's of the Coloseum & Leaning tower of Pisa. You are a visionary & didnt know it..

Matt

Btw if you decide to dispose of either pot I have both hands & feet up for them.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Post by Amanda »

MattA wrote:
Btw if you decide to dispose of either pot I have both hands & feet up for them.
You can't Matt cos I placed first dibs on the ruins pot :lol:

Seriously it's very nice Brett. Are you making any more?
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Missed this one Amanda, Sorry I am pretty slack when it comes to making pots but I am trying to get into the habit of making a few in front of the telly :palm:

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”