Pot construction and critique

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: Pot construction and critique

Post by MattA »

Hey Steven,

You will have to come up for the Newcastle club show, I will be there with this current lot and a few more as yet unseen from the last. If you want to be sure to get the one you have your eye on you better be early :lol:

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

I spent another good few hours this morning & evening reviewing more pots. In general I am really happy with how most of th epots have come out, however I am always noticing little improvements that can be made along the way as I make the next batch. Most likely I will be firing my own kiln so it will be a whole new experiment again. Heres some of my picks in various clays & admixtures.
R0013848.jpg
R0013881.jpg
R0013914.jpg
R0013916.jpg
R0013918.jpg
R0013923.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

One more.. an admixture made from dry clay of one type being combined with manganese & water, then wet chunks of another clay added into this.
R0013928.jpg
There is a fair bit of work goes into preparing this and the other mixed clays, the size, moisture content & way in which the differnt parts are combined produce very different effects. Due to the nature of my work being reductive there is always alot of reclaimed material. As each batch of mixed clays gets reclaimed & reused the nature & texture of the patterns continues to change. By the fourth or fifth mixing it has become something so completely different from its original parts only to be the last of its line

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”