PK surprise

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

PK surprise

Post by MattA »

Over the last few months of each year the Newcastle Bonsai Association runs a progressive raffle. This year the prizes were 1st a lovely big old fig bonsai that had been donated by an older club member & also a stunning Pat Kennedy drum pot. I bought tickets at the November meeting & joked with one of the members that the pot was mine, she could have the fig. Well sure enough when I turned up at the meeting today I had in fact won the PK pot... :hooray:
R0014582rs.jpg
Its such a beautiful pot and I dont have anything suitable so rather than use it as a growing on pot (its too good for that) I have offered it to my mentor for one of his ginkgo's. The condition is that when & if the time comes that I have a tree worthy of such a fine pot he will return it.

It has apparently been sitting in the clubs prize cupboard for quite some time. I would love to know more of when it was made so hopefully Pat might pop by & fill the dots. It is signed with the Initial PK & the number 015 scratched into the underside of the pot.

I will post a pic when we pot the ginkgo's into it.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy

Re: PK surprise

Post by Pat K »

Hi Matt,
I've just returned from a month fishing and camping in Tassie...hence my silence...sorry!
I'm glad you like the pot but there is very little to tell about it. I can tell you it was made in 2005, clay is Feeneys BRT, and the glaze is a Roundleaf ash...#14 in my glaze book (if by some chance you get hold of the book when I'm pushing up daisies) :) . It was fired to 1290C in a reduced atmosphere. And that's about it....again, thanks for your interest!

Pat
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

Sorry, missed this thread Matt.

"there is very little to tell about it. I can tell you it was made in 2005, clay is Feeneys BRT, and the glaze is a Roundleaf ash...#14 in my glaze book (if by some chance you get hold of the book when I'm pushing up daisies) . It was fired to 1290C in a reduced atmosphere."

PffffTTT!!! history in the making.... great pot, your a lucky man Matt!! :tu:

P.K- Fine work. :)
Last edited by Mitchell on January 27th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Brett> Gets out note book just in case he doesn't get a copy of Pat's book :lol:

Pat you have me worried giving such information. You don't plan on pushing up daisies too soon I hope :shake:
Nice pot :cool:

Oh while I have your attention. I have been trying to reverse the direction of my electric wheel. Reversing poles did not work. I guess the only other option is twisting the belt but not sure there is enough room :lost:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Pat K wrote:Hi Matt,
I've just returned from a month fishing and camping in Tassie...hence my silence...sorry!
I'm glad you like the pot but there is very little to tell about it. I can tell you it was made in 2005, clay is Feeneys BRT, and the glaze is a Roundleaf ash...#14 in my glaze book (if by some chance you get hold of the book when I'm pushing up daisies) :) . It was fired to 1290C in a reduced atmosphere. And that's about it....again, thanks for your interest!

Pat
Hey Pat,

No need to apologise, camping in tassie sounds like heaven, your a lucky man.

Like it pffttt LOVE IT... from the moment I saw it... :worship:

Now about that glaze book :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy

Post by Pat K »

Hi Brett, I've consulted a clever friend who tells me that it is possible to reverse a single phase AC motor but my eyes quickly glazed over as he went into detail...... I then went to google; try 'The Selection, Connection, Reversing & Repair of Electric motors', Lamperter.
Do you need to reverse because you're cacky-handed? :P I had an old friend who was a 'thrower' for Fowler's, making demijohns, and he was taught to throw with the clay coming towards him on the left-hand side of the wheel. His apprenticeship was 7 years!!!! :twisted:

Matt, If you are interested in ash glazes have a look at 'Ash Glazes' by Phil Rogers. He's a pom, and not only are they excellent cricketers but not bad potters!! ;)

Pat
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I am right handed Pat but the clay is coming at me on the left and away on the right as in anti clockwise. I mentioned this to the ladies at pottery when some one was using the wheel there and noticed the wheel there went the same way. The lady on the wheel is fairly accomplished and said she had never really thought about it :palm:
So I was starting to think that was the usual direction but now I have no idea.
Hey I know I am going to look at some youtube vids and see which way theirs go :idea: :D

Reversing the motor is starting to sound to complicated for me I never realised there where so many different types of electric motors??? But if there is a way it might be worth asking an electrician. Thanks :tu:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”