New Potter Needs Lots Of Help

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
Mack_187
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 0

New Potter Needs Lots Of Help

Post by Mack_187 »

G'day.

A couple of months back I bought a pottery wheel to have a go at throwing some pots. I thought it was going to be easy :oops: Besides making a mess, I made about six pots if you'd call them that. I seem to get a nice pot done and then it goes very wrong getting them off the wheel. How is it done ? I've been using a 60 pound fishing line. I've seen potters on youtube hold the wire down over the wheel and then spin it, i've tried this heaps. Is there a secret way that's not on youtube ?
Is it the clay im using ? Whats the best type of clay for pots ?

Cheers Michael
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: New Potter Needs Lots Of Help

Post by Bretts »

Hey Michael
I am only a beginner myself but maybe you need to let the pot dry a little before removing. I often do mine with no base adding it later so I can manipulate the shape into oval or rectangular and such. These I leave to dry out a little before I cut them of the bat.
If I have a basein my pot for round pots I will cut through the base of the clay almost as soon as I finish with it on the wheel but wil then leave it ther to set for a little longer before removing it completely. I do see other more experienced remove straight away but I feel they are better at getting the finished product with clay that has not been worked as much as I do to get the finished product ;)
I would recomend geting a proper cutting wire this should improve your results. Keep at it :cool:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Mack_187
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mack_187 »

G'day Bretts.

I might duck into to the craft shop in town to grab a proper cutting wire.

And I'll wait a couple of hours before trying to get the pots off.

Thanks.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Hi Michael.
You don't need a "proper" cutting wire. Save your money for something more important. I have been using cheap fishing line with a rusty washer on one end for over 25 years. When the piece breaks, I cut off another piece. I don't think I've gone through a whole reel yet. When you throw a pot on the wheel, leave a very thick base and slide the fishing line across the wheel head. put a little water on the wheel head and slide the pot off. Then, at the leather-hard stage, the excess clay is trimmed off the base. I use a pad of clay on the wheel and use batts to throw on and prize them off with another high-tech tool - a piece of wood. I throw them with a thin base and they dry on the batts, That way I save time not having to trim them or reclaim the clay. For small pots I throw off the hump. If I have time tomorrow, I'll take some photos for you. The best thing for you is to join a potters' group and/or take lessons. It's not as easy as it looks and you need a lot of practice to throw a decent pot. The clay to use depends on what you want to make - a gritty clay for some pieces or a fine stoneware or porcelain for domestic ware. It also depends on what temperature you will be firing to and whether you will fire in reduction or oxidation as well as what glaze (if any) you want on the pot.
Penny.
Mack_187
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mack_187 »

G'day Penny

Thanks for the advice. I read your post upon returning from the craft store. I picked up a basic pottery tool set with a sponge, some wire and a couple of wooden handled tools in it for $10. I grabbed some more clay aswell. Can I re-use all the sloppy clay ? I have 2 buckets full. Can you turn the slop into workable clay again ?
Looking forward to having a good crack at it tomorrow. Ill have a look at joining a club also.

Thanks Michael
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by mudlarkpottery »

You can re-use the clay. Turn it out onto a concrete (clean) path. The concrete will absorb the water faster than when it's sitting in a bucket. You should be able to tell when it's at the right consistency to use again. You will need to knead it to homogenise the whole clay body and to get the air bubbles out of it. If you have any pieces of compressed fibre cement sheeting, you can use that. Don't go out and buy some. You can usually pick up off-cuts (left-overs) from renovation sites, home renos etc. I have some I cut into manageable lengths and they can be stacked away after use.
Penny.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Hi Michael.
Some photos on throwing off the hump and a couple of hi-tech, expensive tools that I use.
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0002.JPG
PICT0003.JPG
PICT0004.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
PICT0006.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mudlarkpottery on May 6th, 2011, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by mudlarkpottery »

PICT0007.JPG
PICT0008.JPG
PICT0009.JPG
PICT0011.JPG
PICT0012.JPG
PICT0013.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lindsay farr
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 57

Post by lindsay farr »

You can also view some bonsai pot makers (Japanese and Chinese) here
http://bonsaifarm.tv/videos/
episodes 9 thru 15 have bonsai pot making content.
http://www.bonsaifarm.tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mack_187
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mack_187 »

G'day Penny

Thank-you very much for all the photos. I'm going in the shed now and I wont come out until I have thrown a pot. The photos have been more than inspirational. I'll post a pic up when im done. And Lindsay thanks for the links. Just goes to show how much effort goes into making a pot.

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”