Clay for pots

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
DMS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16

Clay for pots

Post by DMS »

Hi
I have been having a go at making my own pots. I have used raku clay and terracotta to make slab built pots but I was wondering if anyone has found a similar clay to the stuff that the older japanese pots were made in. Aussie Terracotta is orange and i would like to make the dark brown terracotta in my unglazed pots. I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer.
DMS
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Re: Clay for pots

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Offhand, I know Keane's stoneware 9 is a similar colour. You will need to fire it to stoneware temperatures, of course. Have a look at the clay samples in the catalogues of different clay companies. you should find something you are looking for.
Penny.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hi Dms

If you want to stick with terracotta, you can add oxide to the clay & work it well thru to darken the colour. You may have to do a few test batches to get the colour you want.

I have also recently started making pots but am working with stoneware clays. Theres quite a good range of colours available including a dark chocolate & red brown, as well as several types which have included grog which compliments many natives as well as traditional bonsai that have a rugged bark or style to them..

Have a look at http://www.walkerceramics.com.au/ for a good range, including images of fired samples at various temperatures.

Look forward to seeing some of your pots.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
DMS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by DMS »

Hi matt
Thank you for your reply, So are bonsai pots stoneware? not terra cotta?
DMS
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by mudlarkpottery »

It is not a good idea to start adding reactive materials to a clay body. Commercial clays are formulated to perform well under specific conditions and when you start adding to them, a lot of unexpected things can happen - a lot of them not good. As well as this, some oxides are poisonous eg. Manganese Dioxide which will give symptoms like Hodgkin's Disease and is fatal.
Bonsai pots can be made from terracotta and other low-fired clays, middle-fire clays approx.1160 - 1200 deg) or stoneware. They can be slip-cast, thrown or hand-built.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

DMS wrote:Hi matt
Thank you for your reply, So are bonsai pots stoneware? not terra cotta?
DMS
As Penny has said, you can make pots from across the range of clays that are available.

Our opinions differ when it comes to the use of additives within a clay body. I have a number of pieces fired over 2 seperate tests that had various additives. Some of the results were not as expected, others were truly beautiful (to my eye).

I think most older chinese and japanese pots are usually earthenware. Over time the water absorbtion of earthenware & low fired clays will change the colour of the pots especially with paler bodies. Stoneware has a fair amount of frost & water resistance when fully fired.

Matt

Heres a good link on pots
http://www.peter-krebs.de/
Last edited by MattA on May 23rd, 2011, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Lynette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour, Australian National Bonsai Assoc., APBS

Post by Lynette »

If you are looking for a smooth clay that will give you a nice brown colour my answer is Bennets terracotta. I would have to look up the exact order number. It is a terracotta that can be fired high. I have fired it to 1280 (gives a beautiful chocolate brown), but it had some dunting, I have now fired it to 12oo. At 1200 it is a medium brown, not quite as nice as at the higher temperature, but still a nice colour. In the next week or two I am going to try firing to about 1220 and see what that will give.
My favorite clay is BRT (Feeneys) if you don't like the black spots you could try Buff raku with sand.
Lynette
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

Gday DMS, I'd love to see some of the pots you have made.. Are you part of Geelong Club?

Adam
DMS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by DMS »

Hi Adam,
I am a former member of Geelong, but I have found it difficult to get to meetings so I am happy to do my own thing. I will post some pictures of my pots soon.
Cheers DMS
shelldrake
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: sunshine coast bonsai

Post by shelldrake »

Re

Bennets Terracotta, I have been experimenting with this clay. Have fired it to c6-7 in reduction and is a nice dark brown and is vitrified. I weighed it, soaked in water and re weighed. very little gain. Would like it to be a little smoother though. Have just finished a large rect pot,16kg clay Waiting for it to dry.
Hope this helps
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy

Post by Pat K »

16 Kg....WOW !!

I'd love to see it.

Cheers, Pat
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by mudlarkpottery »

So would I.
Penny.
Lynette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour, Australian National Bonsai Assoc., APBS

Post by Lynette »

The filtered terracotta is smooth, perhaps you used the unfiltered, because it is so much cheaper. I have only used the terracotta, but am going to try some of their stoneware as soon as I get my next order.
Lynette

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”