Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus rubignosa
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: Irimbirra

Acacia howitti cuttings

Post by Timritchie »

Hi all, anyone have any tips for striking Acacia howitti cuttings?
Cheers Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Re: Acacia howitti cuttings

Post by SueBee »

This is from Wattle it Be by Tracey Perrott http://anpsa.org.au/APOL2008/jun08-1.html
The best time to take Acacia cuttings is when the material is really good, usually in late summer and early autumn. Most species can be propagated in January, February and March (under mist) with good results. Basic hygiene of using clean material and equipment, adequate cutting spacing in propagating pots/trays to maximise ventilation, and use of a fungicide post propagation time is beneficial.Your propagation area should have medium light intensity, not located in full sun, norcompletely heavy shade. Success is possible without the use of bottom heat and misting, but rooting will take longer, and cutting stress is more likely. The propagation mix used with good success with most Acacia varieties consists of 10 parts propagating sand, 6 parts perlite, and 1 part peat.

Propagation of Acacias is not highly technical. With the right material you can achieve good results with a wide range of garden cultivars.
Last edited by SueBee on February 4th, 2018, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

The prostrate form of howittii is relatively easy to strike. As Sue's excerpt says, semi hardwood is easier. Plants have more semi hard branches from mid summer - Autumn but winter and early spring cuttings still strike quite well.
Make cuttings as you would for most other species - healthy pieces 10-15cm long, strip lower leaves and trim off any soft tips. Treat with any cutting hormone then set into propagating mix. Water well and keep humidity high until roots form.
I usually put cuttings into community pots and transplant into individual pots with potting mix after roots have grown.

I have howittii cuttings in at the moment. They were a bit early and I have lost maybe half of them but the remainder look good and should show roots in a week or 2.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Timritchie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus rubignosa
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: Irimbirra

Post by Timritchie »

Thanks Shibui, I’ll get round to doing some soon. Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Acacia”