Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Acacia - see what neglect can do!

Post by Watto »

This Acacia has been in the collection for more than ten years and started as a less than pencil thin seedling that was given away by the local bonsai society to promote the growing of Australian native plants as bonsai.
In October 2010 I used it as a demonstration tree at the local exhibition (please excuse the photo but I didn't take it) and since then it has not been repotted. It has however been watered, fertilized and trimmed.
Last year it produced many flowers and then early this year produced seeds. Very exciting it was. It looks like it will again flower well in a few weeks so I am looking forward to that.
The story really is this should have been repotted last year, but promise I will do it this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Acacia - see what neglect can do!

Post by Phoenix238 »

A beautiful tree nonetheless
Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Guy »

I have no confidence with natives-----Can you reduce the rootball enough on a native to put it back in the same pot for a couple of years?---
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Guy wrote:I have no confidence with natives-----Can you reduce the rootball enough on a native to put it back in the same pot for a couple of years?---
Most certainly can, I take off about 1/2 the rootball of my Acacia howittii, Same with Melaleuca. Callistimon can be barerooted if need be. Typically will take 1/2 off

Lovely tree watto :yes:

Ken
Last edited by kcpoole on August 21st, 2014, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

:o Your brand of neglect must be slightly different to mine Watto because acacias react slightly different here :palm:
I have no confidence with natives-----Can you reduce the rootball enough on a native to put it back in the same pot for a couple of years?---
Do all dogs fetch a ball? Not really fair to lump thousands of species of Aussie plants into a single sentence Guy. I'd class figs as THE easiest bonsai species in the world. Many others (banksia, melaleuca, callistemon are just a few) are very easy as bonsai - I just can't seem to crack acacias so must be impossible to grow them as bonsai :?: :imo: :?: :?:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Guy wrote:I have no confidence with natives-----Can you reduce the rootball enough on a native to put it back in the same pot for a couple of years?---
I worked on two Melaleuca Incana Nanna a while back. I removed about 60 of the root ball on one to fit it in the pot and about 80% on the other. Both survived and never missed a beat. I had a lepto I removed 60% of the root ball and it threw new buds in a week. Natives are tougher than we think, aftercare is what matters :imo:

Josh

Ps. lovely tree Watto. What would be really cool would be to strike some seed and grow into a bonsai. Then you would have both parent and child as bonsai :tu:
Last edited by Josh on August 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper

Post by Guy »

yes I should have been more specific :reading:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

When I repot I will typically remove about 1/3 of the root ball and put it back in the same pot. I think this pot (hand made, one off by Aussie potter) still suits this tree for size and texture and I should get at least another 10 years out of it.
I did plant those seeds and I'm hopeful that one or two will germinate and that should happen in the next month or so if they are to be successful.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Josh wrote: I had a lepto I removed 60% of the root ball and it threw new buds in a week. Natives are tougher than we think, aftercare is what matters :imo:
Haha, I would certainly also be more specific about the leptospermum. ;) I've done that with scoparium, and ended up with a dead lepto.
shibui wrote::o Your brand of neglect must be slightly different to mine Watto because acacias react slightly different here :palm:
Do all dogs fetch a ball? Not really fair to lump thousands of species of Aussie plants into a single sentence Guy. I'd class figs as THE easiest bonsai species in the world. Many others (banksia, melaleuca, callistemon are just a few) are very easy as bonsai - I just can't seem to crack acacias so must be impossible to grow them as bonsai :?: :imo: :?: :?:
Yes, in my experiences, I have lost numerous exotics over the years of nearly all species I tried and also with natives, but with natives, ... well... they are the only ones that I can proudly claim that I have never lost a single tree of Acacia Howittii, Acacia Spectabalis, Acacia Parramattensis, Moreton Bay Figs, PJ figs, Casuarina Cunninghamiana and quite a few other natives that I can't think of off the top of my head. I have never had much trouble with my variety of Acacias. They respond well to anything I do to them with pruning and root pruning. I would always recommend to anyone expressing interest with bonsai, to always start with natives that grow well in their area. I think the only exotic I can claim to have never lost a single one....would be.... my Chihuahua.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

Lovely tree - What tough love can do? :clap:
Djs19992
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Quinces
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Djs19992 »

Its gorgeous. Ive ben trying to get my hands on a howiitti for nearly a year now.. They remind me of willow trees

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Djs19992 wrote:Its gorgeous. Ive ben trying to get my hands on a howiitti for nearly a year now.. They remind me of willow trees

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ray Nesci has plenty of them. Ray Nesci Bonsai Nursery, 26 Sagars Rd, Kenthurst

They make gorgeous bonsai. They respond to pruning well, and can 'tolerate' shade with little sun. The trick is to cut back hard and show no fear so as not to have a lanky spider, but some like the lanky spider look though.
Last edited by Rory on August 22nd, 2014, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
raewynk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Styrax,juniper,pine,anything that has a leaf on it
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: bonsaiempire.com

Post by raewynk »

They are a beautiful tree for sure.

I just raised 6 seedlings. Easiest tree to grow from seeds. Believe me if I can then anyone can.

Nice to see how the babies will grow like.

They do look the same as the weeping willow I love the delicate foliage which is why I have seeded them.

Cheers
Rae
My grey hair is my solar panel, as with the leaf on the bonsai is theirs.
marleey73
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: -

Post by marleey73 »

I have a few of these and have lost a few. They hate a repot I think it is best not to disturb the roots too much yours are an example of this. Lovely acacia and thanks for sharing.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Hi Watto . That's a great tree and pot combo . May I ask who the potter is ?
It does kind of look like it needs a repot . The tree looks like it wants to climb out of that pot especially when you compare it to the 2010 photo . Is there a certain time your planning on repotting ie after flowering or time of year ?
It looks like it will have a lot of flowers ,looking forward to seeing the updates .
Cheers Craig

Return to “Acacia”