Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 0

Lilly pilly advice on some basic bonsai concepts

Post by phillicondor »

20150430_135539.jpg
20150430_134219.jpg
Hi all. Just wanting some advice on styling this tree. I love the line of that first branch but I don't know about the other large straight branch. I'm thinking about either wiring it to bend it a bit (but it's pretty solid and doesn't taper at all) or cutting it off and trying to start the branch again. My question is will it thicken enough to catch up to the other branch? Especially if I cut it flush with the trunk. Or should I leave a straight cut or angled stub? I've read somewhere about not doing angled cuts but a can't remember why. I'm thinking broom style but the trunk doesn't seem right for that so I'm all ears if anyone has any suggestions
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Lilly pilly advice on some basic bonsai concepts

Post by Boics »

Personally I think you could cut the branch flush and expect it to heal over reasonably well in time.

I'm not sure exactly what Lilly Pilly this is but I have found the one that I am working with (I think it's Tiny Trev) to be very vigorous and plentiful with branching options. I think it clear from the more sparse growth nature of your tree that your tree and mine are not the same cultivar.
On to cutting branches close I have found my LP to heal very well and in good time.

I believe the "angled cut" advise is based on trunk chops as opposed to the branch selection that you are considering.
One typically cuts straight before waiting for some new buds before leader selection then finally an "angled cut" to complete the process.

These are just my thoughts and I'd be interested to hear others opinions.

P.S. Here is my tree it's worth an update now!

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=17097&hilit=+lilly+pilly
Last edited by Boics on May 25th, 2015, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Lilly pilly advice on some basic bonsai concepts

Post by shibui »

The straight section on that major branch is only straight if you leave it intact. If you shorten it just above one of the side shoots on it there will be both taper and a change of direction. Problem solvered.

If you keep the larger side trimmed more and allow the smaller shoots to grow a bit they will thicken up very quickly and catch up to the larger ones.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Acacia”