Background colour for photos

Taking good photo's of your tree's can be challenging. Discuss your ideas and tips here.
Shinkitai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Lots
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast Tweed Bonsai Club

Background colour for photos

Post by Shinkitai »

Serissa-1---1-March-2013.jpg
QLD Small Leaf Fig 1 - 11 March 2013b.JPG
A simple method I am using to get a plain backdrop is to hang a sheet from the clothesline, place a table/stand in front of it and drape the bottom of the sheet over the table. A small weight behind the table in the fold will stop the sheet pushing up against the bonsai and creates a base level for the table. A partially overcast day provides a little softer light then when it is full sun. I would love to have a full set of lights and a proper back drop but would rather spend the money on my bonsai :D

So far I have tried blue (because it was on the line at the time) & off white.

My question now is what colour works best for the back drop in photos?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bki
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine
Bonsai Age: 5

Re: Background colour for photos

Post by bki »

Hi Shinkitai,
Nice trees you have there and great snaps.
you can make a dramatic shot by just blurring the background (or "bokeh"). you can do this by adjusting the depth of field (refer to your camera manual).
another method I use is using ringlite which I use on the pictures below. Unluckily these are flowers and not trees coz I feel mine are not yet ready for photography.
these would only illustrate the method I am referring to in isolating the subject from the background. I have done some bonsai pictorial but I am not in liberty to use those images.
Cheers,
BKI
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
more trees.....
Nick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper, JBP, Celtis, Elm
Bonsai Age: 11

Re: Background colour for photos

Post by Nick »

Hi Shinkitai

The best background is what makes the tree pop. For example the white flowers against the blue background pop out. If that was against the white they would have been lost. A smooth seamless back ground also helps alot just like you have done with the blue background. letting it drape rather than tucking it. Getting the back ground further back will also help with bokeh without having half the tree out of focus when you drop the aperture too low. The first photo shows bokeh by moving the background away from the subject. The second pic if you look closely shows how too low an aperture can blur the rest of the subject except what is in the immediate foreground ( the leaf edges and flower in the background are just out of focus ). Great photos keep practicing and play around with the camera setting and learn what they do is my top tip.
Nick

Return to “Photographing Bonsai”