Bottle Brush
Kelvin8r
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 0

Neglected Captain Cook

Post by Kelvin8r »

I went to the local nursery today to pick up some perlite. Whilst I was there I noticed a Captain Cook in amongst some other plants. The pot was faded and looked a little forgotten about.
Anyway, I thought it had a nice trunk and shape, and the new growth was pretty green, so for $8 I couldn't pass it up!

Ive repotted it and given it a seasol drink.

Styling suggestions most welcome

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Neglected Captain Cook

Post by Elmar »

Nice find, which nursery?

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
Kelvin8r
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kelvin8r »

Hedland Garden centre mate!
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

If it has shown signs of growth after potting I would cut it back hard - it is way too leggy. Keep up the seasol and fertilise but not too heavily in a bonsai pot. Of course if you want the trunk to thicken up it should come out of the bonsai pot.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Kelvin8r
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kelvin8r »

Bougy Fan wrote:If it has shown signs of growth after potting I would cut it back hard - it is way too leggy. Keep up the seasol and fertilise but not too heavily in a bonsai pot. Of course if you want the trunk to thicken up it should come out of the bonsai pot.
Thanks Bougy, it only went into the pot yesterday after being pretty root bound in the nursery pot. As soon as I see some regrowth she'll be getting the snip!
dennismc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives, JBP, Cfrepe Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 40
Bonsai Club: Teacher, School of Bonsai

Post by dennismc »

Good pick up. However I have concerns about the climate in Port Hedland for this tree. If it was mine I would permanently stand it in a tray of water. Would assist with its survival and increase the rate of growth.

You might consider reducing the height by at least 50% as bottle brushes shoot back very easily especially if they have constantly damp soil

Good luck with your endeavors in such a tough climate.
Dennis Mc
Kelvin8r
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kelvin8r »

dennismc wrote:Good pick up. However I have concerns about the climate in Port Hedland for this tree. If it was mine I would permanently stand it in a tray of water. Would assist with its survival and increase the rate of growth.

You might consider reducing the height by at least 50% as bottle brushes shoot back very easily especially if they have constantly damp soil

Good luck with your endeavors in such a tough climate.
Dennis Mc
Thanks Dennis,
I have a few water trays on the ready if they start to dry out. I have another one in a pot that's looking nice and healthy, survived some bloody hot days the past few weeks!
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

I've just put all my trees onto water trays and it's made a huge difference in surviving the past hot days!
Those that ended up burnt were put into buckets of Seasol and so far all the bigger ones are shooting back...
Not so lucky with the smaller ones... Think I've lost 6 there!
Last year had no water trays and lost all but one tree! So if I were you, don't put the trays off!

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi Kelvin8r,
These can make very nice bonsai. The ones I've seen that look good usually have reasonably large trunks. Have a look at, Ground Planting in Colanders, and see if you might like to try doing this. It will increase the size of the trunk reasonably quickly.
I did this to this tree and it now has a base diameter of 70mm. It was about the same diameter as your tree when planted.
IMG_0051 -2.jpg
IMG_0052 -2.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kelvin8r
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kelvin8r »

Ray M wrote:Hi Kelvin8r,
These can make very nice bonsai. The ones I've seen that look good usually have reasonably large trunks. Have a look at, Ground Planting in Colanders, and see if you might like to try doing this. It will increase the size of the trunk reasonably quickly.
I did this to this tree and it now has a base diameter of 70mm. It was about the same diameter as your tree when planted.
IMG_0051 -2.jpg
IMG_0052 -2.jpg
Regards Ray

Awesome! I'll see if I can get some colanders

How long did you leave it in the ground for?
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Kelvin8r wrote:
Ray M wrote:Hi Kelvin8r,
Regards Ray

Awesome! I'll see if I can get some colanders

How long did you leave it in the ground for? That's a very open question mate. How big a trunk do you want, what species, what is your growing season, how much you fertilize, these are just a few influences.
If you put the colander in the ground. Make sure you don't plant it any deeper than the lip of the colander. You will see this in the thread I linked above. You can lift the colander and prune the roots off the outside of the colander and replant it. This protects the root ball, but it will stimulate new fibrous roots to grow out into the soil.

Regards Ray
Kelvin8r
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kelvin8r »

Thanks Ray!

Haha the question was actually asking how long you left yours inground for to get the 70mm trunk :)
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Hi Kelvin8r,
Have a look at this thread. It will give you a bit more of the history. Digging some of my trees

Regards Ray

Return to “Callistemon”