Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Callistemon Pityoides "Sieberi"

Post by Watto »

Here is the proposed pot I just hope I can get it into it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

This gets better . I hope it fits for you .
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

An update to the story. Well, that pot wasn't big enough so potting last year was delayed. I looked around for another pot and decided that now was the time, so over the last couple of days here is the result.
The tree has continued to grow quite well, although still slowly. The scar's left by heavy pruning appear to be disappearing so that is a positive.
Anyway, onto the photos........
By the way, the pot is a Pat Kennedy pot of grey/brown glaze that I think looks OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Impressive little tree Watto. Looks like it wants to keep shooting from the base though, will you have to keep rubbing off the shoots now your trunk is a good thickness, or will you just let it go each year and only make it presentable once a year or so? I understand that can be a bit of a conundrum when working with Natives that just keep shooting like this?
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Mel I think the shooting is a good problem to have. As this is the first time its been in a bonsai pot I expect it will slow down its growth rate and shoot less. Time will tell. Rubbing off a few adventurous shoots will be done though over the coming years and I will see how it goes.
Really just happy to have it in a pot now.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Agree that it's a good problem to have, Watto. Looking forward to seeing how it goes now it's in the new pot!
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Last year I was in full concentration mode on this tree and the outcome was I decided that it needed a tweek. A re-work. A redesign. It needed to be smaller. More compact. So in true Watto tradition I put it off until this year.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

This year a change in front, a good trim and some wire to give the new look. I'm going to give myself a rap, its an improvement! I want to repot it in the next week or so and I am looking for a pot as the round doesn't really suit it. Hopefully there will be another update very soon.
I hope you enjoy, as always comments, ideas and critiques are welcome.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

I like the new front and I prefer the angle in the first photo. It already moves left and :imo: tilting furthur doesn't add anything. Nice tree!
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

If you did tilt it, I'd shorten the branches on the right hand side and lengthen the left. Then pot it into a rectangular pot with the tree on the right hand side
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

Any update Watto?
You did say that a "nudge" might be required :D
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Sometimes I forget to make updates, so thanks for the nudge Jan.
I thought the round pot looked a bit formal so a repot (and new pot was in order) and this time I made a pot to suit the colour of the bark.
It has grown OK and the next step is to refine the apex, and probably that will happen in the autumn.
This time next year I hope to have it on display at the Australian Plants as Bonsai exhibition in Canberra, cross your fingers for me please.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Lovely tree, and an excellent progression - this is how it's done, folks!

Sorry to be a pain, but my Melaleuca book now makes a distinction between C. sieberi (larger leaves, faster growing) and C. pityoides (smaller, and as you say, slower) - and claims all Callistemon as Melaleuca, and stuffs their names around as a result. No doubt some botanists won't accept the change, and rubbish and uncertainty will fly in career-building style for years...

So. C. pityoides is now Melaleuca pityoides, and C. sieberi is Melaleuca paludicola. Sigh. Shibui has supplied some very good C. sieberi to Canberra - thicker bark, larger leaves and relatively faster growing.

M. pityoides can have some interesting angles and roots too, if you let them loose. I'll post some photos.

Gavin
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

GavinG wrote: February 9th, 2023, 4:34 pm Sorry to be a pain, but my Melaleuca book now makes a distinction between C. sieberi (larger leaves, faster growing) and C. pityoides (smaller, and as you say, slower) - and claims all Callistemon as Melaleuca, and stuffs their names around as a result. No doubt some botanists won't accept the change, and rubbish and uncertainty will fly in career-building style for years...
I’m no botanist but as a layman I dispute the homogenisation of Melaleuca and Callistemon. If I can tell the difference with no scientific background/training surely professionals can!
In any case, some lovely progression on the tree regardless. (Not a professional opinion though)
:yes:
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

Thanks, Watto, very pleasing little tree.

The pot certainly matches the bark colour and its more organic texture harmonises with the papery bark of this Aus Native.

How are you going for size (I note that the usual size indicator :beer: is absent from the image)?

Jan

Return to “Callistemon”