Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Callistemon Pityoides "Sieberi"

Post by Watto »

Alpine Bottlebrush - Inspired by a recent post by Sno on this species, I thought I would post a couple of photos of mine. I bought a seedling quite a few years ago and the plan was to grow a shohin that might in time go into a seven point Australian native shohin display. I didn't count on what appears to be a relatively slow rate of trunk growth rate and that's why I have been trimming and waiting for some time for the tree to show some signs of really being useful. I have tried a few methods but recently I have fertilized heavily and not trimmed so as to allow as much growth as possible.
Today I decided it was time for a trim as I think the trunk width is now just about suitable for a shohin bonsai.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Callistemon Pityoides "Sieberi"

Post by Watto »

The "leaves" on this species are quite sharp so a little bit of care is needed when working with these.
This species appears to be quite tough and I am confident that the little trim will not be too detrimental, but give the tree the basis for a good bonsai in the near future. This is a cold climate species so if anyone has any suggestions that would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theodore
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Larch
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Albury Wodonga Bonsai Society

Post by Theodore »

Cute little tree!

It appears that standard measure for the trees on Ausbonsai is a bottle of Pure Blonde!

Do I need to start including them in my pics??

Sent from somewhere on planet earth using an iPad!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I have been working with C. pityoides as well Watto and agree that they are very slow growing. The other issue I noted is that new growth is long, straight and few branches. I have wired some to get some movement but they still lack taper. Small leaves make them wort trying, just frustrated like you with slow development.
It appears that standard measure for the trees on Ausbonsai is a bottle of Pure Blonde! Do I need to start including them in my pics??
For a while the standard measure was the AA battery Theo. The stubby seems to be favoured for larger trees. You can drink whatever you like but including something that everyone is familiar with as a size reference is very handy to gauge the scale of the tree.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

The building of the base (trunk) although time consuming should, with luck, allow the top to be built around it. I will probably use the standard "two by two" method starting next season so I will let you know how it progresses.
I hope you noticed that the standard measure is a mid strength and unopened in the photo, but I rectify that issue soon after.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

It looks like you achieved some good thickening of the base I'll be interested to see how the scarring goes while keeping it small for a shohin .i like the movement in this one it's quite dramatic . The pityoides that grow local around here are multi trunked and have a beautiful paperbark . Even though they grow in boggy soil most around here got burnt to the ground in the 2003 fires and are only thin trunked now , they 'grow slow' . A seven point native shohin display sounds very interesting.thanks for showing .
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

A bit of an up-date. I have been quite surprised at the growth around the cuts so I am now hopeful that this growth will assist in healing. I was also very pleased to see it flower, cute little yellow ones, and I am in the process of picking a pot for it.
The cobwebs around the flower is disappointing but I couldn't really see them until I saw the photos. I don't know if this is the "normal" time for flowering so maybe someone will be able to let me know?
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Very cute flowers.
Will be interested how you manage to style this one.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

It is still in the early stages of the progression, but the plan is still a shohin, and hopefully it will continue to flower.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi there Watto... Just wondering if you have an update on this little guy... Maybe??
:beer:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

This is powering along OK. Its still in the same pot but a purchase has been made. I will take an updated photo in the next couple of days and post one up.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I'm looking forward to seeing the next pics!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Ditto... would love to see it (and the new pot) if you get a chance. :yes:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

I just need a bit of a nudge sometimes to get things moving, so here is the update photos.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Watto wrote:I just need a bit of a nudge sometimes to get things moving, so here is the update photos.
Thanks Watto :yes:
I really like the movement you've got going in this little guy and it looks like it has plenty of new growth since your last post - plenty of options! Looking forward to watching it develop (and checking out the new pot when you get around to it...!)
It's a keeper for sure!

Return to “Callistemon”