Callistemon Viminalis "Little Cook"

Bottle Brush
Tropicalgirl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Callistemon Viminalis "Little Cook"

Post by Tropicalgirl »

After doing some reading and contemplating I decided to go into the largest nursery we have in Darwin just to see what they had and with the thought that if something really grabbed me I might buy it. Well, BORING! the only thing that I saw in the place that looked vaguely interesting was a weeping tea tree in a big bag with a big $90 price tag.
I had to go past Bunnings on the way home so I thought what the heck I'll have a look what they've got and this little bloke jumped out at me, it is in a 20cm pot and I really like it's trunk, especially assuming it is quite young.
So, please don't tell me off for buying a tree from Bunnings, my options are very limited and it's a very very long drive to the nearest Bonsai nursery :D
The question is what is the next step on this little trees journey to becoming a Bonsai?
Deanna
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Callistemon Viminalis "Little Cook"

Post by Bougy Fan »

Looks like nice stock. Nothing wrong with buying from the BGS, especially if you have no options. I would prune it to get some movement as a single trunk, and then if you want it bigger stick it in a styro box or in the ground. Feed it and wait :whistle:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

The next step is for you to make some decisions.
How big would you like your bonsai to be? Your tree looks ok for a small - medium sized bonsai but if you want it to have a thicker trunk or a larger bonsai then it needs to grow - see Bougy's advice.

What shape would you like your bonsai? Generally we try to make our bonsai look like the tree would look as a larger, natural tree. Most callistemon grow as upright spreading trees but along creeks and rivers they can be waterswept. Having decided on the style you need to prune off any branches that don't belong - that's the biggest challenge for new growers but don't be frightened. You can't make a mistake because a bonsai can be pretty much any shape and, if you do cut the wrong bit off it will grow back given some time and care :D

Just above label height the main trunk splits into 3 - 2 thicker ones and a thinner branch. If they all stay the trunk at that spot will get thicker and look bad. Always try to prune so there are only V forks - ie splits into just 2 - main trunk and branch. With just a quick look at your photo my first move would be to cut out the centre of those 3. That will leave you with the main trunk bending to the right (as in photo) and a thinner branch coming off to the left.
You can also cut all the remaining branches shorter so they will shoot out more buds.
Any branches that are heading in undesirable directions can be wired and bent where you'd rather see them - 1st branch left hand side in photo could be moved out a bit to widen the tree on that side? (similar angle to the lower one on the right)
Make sure there is some branching at the back to give visual depth (3D) to the bonsai.

Callistemon are really tough and forgiving. You can cut and bend without fear and see what happens.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trees!
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by Thymetraveller »

Nice little tree!
I've picked up some bargains from Bunnings before....you just have to be selective :)
A google search turned up this tree, and I think yours could shape up into something similar
bottlebrush.jpg
Excuse the shonky virt; I'm on my phone so detail is difficult, but here's what I'd do:
shonkyvirt.jpg
Cut off the low branch on the right, and the lower of the two branches growing together on the left. The main trunkline runs up to the right, with some really nice subtle movement. Wire the two branches with arrows down a little. I'd keep it fairly small, but if you want to bulk it up you need to bung it ino a larger pot for a while.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the tree!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tropicalgirl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tropicalgirl »

Thanks guys,
Much food for thought, I think it is kind of cute the size it is but if I wanted it bigger would I just put it in a bigger pot the way it is or cut off branches I don't want then repot?
I figure that third branch has to go anyway before it starts to look odd.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Growing trees on can fix problems or it can accentuate them. I would still thin out any places where there are 3 or more branches because lumps tend to just get bigger.
Callistemon is a good choice to grow on because you can allow them to grow as long as you like and know that when you prune back hard, even back to bare wood or a stump, it will sprout new buds that you can grow new branches from.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

This is pretty good stock and I agree with everything that has been said.
There is one other thing that you could do, and that is trim it and put it in a bonsai pot. This way you will have a bonsai to look after and you can also learn as you go. There is nothing like practical experience as a learning tool.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I don't think anyone would tell you off for buying from the big green shed, they can sometimes have absolute pearlers in their stock!

Looks like you've got one too!

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses! Good on you!
Tropicalgirl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tropicalgirl »

Thanks everyone,
I must admit to being a bit frightened to start but you have encouraged me, here it is after removing some branches and a bit of a hair cut.
I don't know if you can tell in the photo but I've wired the lower branch down and forward a bit and the higher one I've bent to to front slightly because it looks a bit funny sticking straight up, I have left it in the same pot for now until I get some more potting mix. I only have a bag of the cheap woolies mix and I don't know what if any fertilizer it has in it
Deanna
Last edited by Tropicalgirl on June 6th, 2016, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Starfox »

A few months ago I picked up a little Viminalis too, it was much more like a little round shrub but when I hacked it back it looked much more like yours(not as good though). I trimmed it back and the roots and put in a colander with normal potting mix and lava rock and it sat there for about 3 months or more looking healthy but doing nothing, I think it was taking a while to recover as we kind of had a false start to spring.

Anyway I noticed some slight darkening on the tips of the leaves which rightly or wrongly I put down to the soil retaining too much water so I cut down on that and then perhaps unwisely I hit it with a generic bonsai fert(twice lol) and she crisped right up. I immediately started heavily watering it again and it showed signs of recovery and is currently a 50/50 or less on whether it will survive. I do believe parts of it are alive so I'll see what makes it.

So as a beginner myself I guess what I can take from that is too keep the water up, especially in the hotter weather, never fert until you are certain there is new growth and you may be right about what ferts may be in the potting mix as that could be a reason it was so slow to recover.
Not sure if that is good advice but it is what I think I did wrong.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Fertiliser is rarely a bad thing. Mostly we give our trees far too little. Most commercial potting mixes have minimum fert included because that's the expensive bit. I always add osmocote to potting mix AND use soluble ferts every 3-4 weeks while the tree has leaves on (note for evergreen natives that means all year round)
With modern potting mix overwatering is rarely possible despite all the stuff written. Lack of water is more often a problem.

TG, you have started well. I would have probably cut back a little more but that would frighten a beginner so you've done fine. With Callistemon you can cut harder at some time in future when you have more courage.
Your attempt at wiring is ok. It has done what you wanted but we generally try to make it look good as well as work. Wires crossing each other is considered as sloppy work. Next time, try to wind each wire to follow the first one so they don't cross over and try to keep the coils nice and even.
keep up the good work :tu:
Tropicalgirl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tropicalgirl »

Shibui
Thanks for the wiring critique, I'll keep it in mind next time:)
I will keep the water up even though it is the dry season we haven't had any cool weather yet, I don't think the temp has dropped below 24 degrees. Regarding fertiliser I have ozmacote but what else do you recommend? I know natives don't like phosphate.
Andrew E
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club, South Lakes Bonsai Club

Post by Andrew E »

That's a good start for your tree. Initial styling is about 'finding the tree within' and this will make a good bonsai in a few years. Wiring is all about practice and you'll find your groove soon enough. More trees means you can practice more! Whilst looking sloppy crossing wires also weakens the holding power of the wire as there is too much gap between the branch and the wire. Wire supports and directs the growth of the branch and getting that correct, where there is good contact between the wire and branch, is what will become second nature after a while.
I fertilize regularly using both organic and inorganic fertilisers. Check the NPK and work out what you want for the tree. A high N (nitrogen) will give lots of vegetative growth and would be good for a tree like yours, not so good for a mature bonsai where growth needs to be controlled. Australian natives tend not to like phosphorous in high doses so watch for that. Not sure the trees would stop growing up there would they! Just keep watering and feeding and give it lots of sun. Keep us posted.
Andrew
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

Hi Tropicalgirl,

I learned a lot bout wiring from the online classes in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19479&p=200422&hili ... b2#p197073.

Cheers,
Nigel
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

It is absolute rubbish that natives don't like fertiliser. True there are some that resent P but the vast majority are fine. I use the same fert on Callistemons as on all the exotics. The species to be careful of include banksia, hakea, protea (non native) and possibly grevillea.
I use powerfeed even on banksias. I use thrive and fish fertilisers and Chook poo pellets (dynamic lifter is only one brand) on all the other natives. I also use standard osmocote in the mix for all except banksias and last year and this I have trialled some seedling banksias in standard osmocote mix and have not had any adverse reactions.
In summary your callistemon will not care what fert you use. Just apply according to the instructions on the container.

Return to “Callistemon”