Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Boics Allocasuarina Torulosa Progression

Post by Boics »

Hello peeps.

I've had this one for a few years now.
Must admit some inspiration from Steven's great little Shohin comp winner of a few years back!

Casuarina are a weird species to work with due to their leaves which are branches and branches which are leaves!
So the first year or so I just left the tree to grow on with a view to gaining some bulk.

After a while (about a year) I selected a trunk line and chopped (should have gone lower in hindsight).
This produced a fair bit of back budding which opened up a few more branching opportunities both up and down the trunk.

My issue has been apical dominance as the upper branches bulk up and grow quite quickly whilst those down low struggle.
By plucking the top a bit and letting the lower guys run free it seems to help a bit with the balance and some of the branches which were struggling a while ago seem to be a lot healthier.
My plan is to continue this process to force vigour in the lower parts of the tree whilst keeping the upper areas in check.
I need to thicken and strengthen all the lower areas as IMO the tree is top heavy.

Still not 100% sure when I should re-pot this tree?
It has been in the same pot for over 2 years in my possession and there is a great new planting angle I'd like to explore along with a new pot!

Comments and advise welcome as always!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Boics on May 24th, 2014, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Boics Allocasuarina Torulosa Progression

Post by kez »

Nice work so far mate!

I have to confess I have also been inspired by Stevens work with casuarinas, I have yet to find one that I feel like has the right moves though. Looks as though your getting the foundations right with this one.

Keep us posted as id love to see how it develops from here

Kez
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Steven has a case to answer...I have 30+ casuarinas because of him...
I planted most of them in the ground and they have grown from pencil thickness to 6cm in one year...Since I have so many, I airlayered 2 and even olanted the top part of the airlayer as cuttings 5cm diameter... So far the suttinga look OK but too soon to say. Smaller cuttings root very well...almost 100%
My problem was that one of the lower parts of the airlayer died (the part in the ground)...it rust went rotten like..and I can not figure out what the problem is.
I also can not figure out yet how to develop the branches...trying and failing so far...end up with porcupines.
I like your casuarina but I would consider chopping it just above the third branch on the last picture. Your first leader is somewhat too long. JMHO.
Last edited by Neli on May 24th, 2014, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

I too would cut above the 3rd branch in that last pic. However, if you do, wait until the tree is in better health and with more vigour. I sometimes repot in late August and sometimes over summer. (provided the forecast is not too hot for a summer re pot).
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

Thanks for the feedback all.

As I said I'm aware that I should have done the initial trunk chop lower but I was afraid to go too low as I was not sure what to expect in terms of back budding.
Since then it has just gotten away from me a little.

Whilst I do think the lower trunk chop is the best option for the best tree long term I don't think I'll be taking this option in the short term.
As I alluded too in my initial post there is a new planting angle that I believe markedly improves the overall look of this tree.
Combined with a new pot and some extra vigour, depth and ramification in the branches I'm of the opinion this tree will continue to improve.

BBM thanks for the advise around re-pot - does anyone else have any experience re-potting Casuarina's?
I've heard they can be both fickle and very easy to re-pot! :lost:
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by jezz_39 »

Excellent species to work with, Boics.
While I agree with what has been said regarding a trunk chop at the 3rd branch, looking past the straight section it is actually quite an elegant tree. I think too much emphasis is put on taper and if you loook at Casuarina in the wild, you do not see fat, fast tapering trunks, and even exposed radial nebari is hard to come by.

I think with a few seasons of branch refinement/ramification, and seeing the straight section bark up, a lot of people may change their minds. If i'm wrong, then the beauty of this species is being a trunk chop later on knowing it will bud all over.

I say go with your gut and trust your styling instincts. The tree must turn out the way YOU want it.

The only thing I will offer is the bottom 2 branches have a rather eye catching bow, perhaps try to wire it in a downard direction closer to the trunk, more like the 2nd left branch
Regards,
Jeremy
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

jezz_39 wrote:Excellent species to work with, Boics.
While I agree with what has been said regarding a trunk chop at the 3rd branch, looking past the straight section it is actually quite an elegant tree. I think too much emphasis is put on taper and if you loook at Casuarina in the wild, you do not see fat, fast tapering trunks, and even exposed radial nebari is hard to come by.

I think with a few seasons of branch refinement/ramification, and seeing the straight section bark up, a lot of people may change their minds. If i'm wrong, then the beauty of this species is being a trunk chop later on knowing it will bud all over.

I say go with your gut and trust your styling instincts. The tree must turn out the way YOU want it.

The only thing I will offer is the bottom 2 branches have a rather eye catching bow, perhaps try to wire it in a downard direction closer to the trunk, more like the 2nd left branch
Well said jezz. It is true that Casuarina are not stumpy in the wild, but there are 2 sides to this view. Torulosa in the wild, is without doubt, a long legged ugly tree. Albiet beautiful to those who love casuarina, but ramifically (yes I made that word up) speaking, it is a very long limbed and straggly tree. It is not particularly long lived, and is susceptible to every dang thing in the wild. I too am not a fan of traditional Japanese styles for Casuarina, in fact the best style I think that emulates a good one, is literati. Because, the 'normal' form these take on in the wild is quite gangly, like an awkward teenager. Torulosa in particular, is just an aesthetically offensive tree :crybye: So, if you really wanted to bring out the true style of its wild nature, you might change your mind after you saw it in bonsai form. I guess you have to keep the peace, somewhere between natural and artificial. This is why I believe literati rules the roost when it comes to casuarina. Or at least a clump setting for cunninghamiana and glauca. Torulosa is a bit more of an odd ball cousin if you ask me. (We back onto the national park on the central coast, and they are rampant in there).
Last edited by Rory on May 26th, 2014, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Interesting thoughts BBM. I think we can take interesting angles and shapes, colours and textures from otherwise boring trees, and put them together into something worth looking at. I'd be interested to see photos of your local Cas to see how they grow. Are there any old ones up there?

Gavin
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

GavinG wrote:Interesting thoughts BBM. I think we can take interesting angles and shapes, colours and textures from otherwise boring trees, and put them together into something worth looking at. I'd be interested to see photos of your local Cas to see how they grow. Are there any old ones up there?

Gavin
Yeah, next time I go for a bush walk i'll try to remember to take some snaps. I often go with my son. It is interesting, because in the lower, shadier areas of the bush they don't do that well, but in the higher sections that get more sun, they are quite prolific. The ground is a thick clay type soil which can retain moisture well, so the young seedlings don't have any trouble starting. I have tried to take a few good such good stocks on my travels, namely from my backyard and adjacent to our property, but they are too much trouble to transplant in my opinion. Besides that, you get a lot of adders and funnel webs in that scrub. It aint worth it. I prefer to grow from nursery stock. When you say old, you don't often see a torulosa very thick in trunk diameter. Usually borers, old age, strangler vines and other such things take them out. The branches easily break from rough wind / animals / other falling branches. But they grow quite well from seed and exceptionally well from suckering, thus from evolution, there is no real advancement for longevity in individual stock.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

I was out taking pics of my tree's the other day.
This one seemed to continue to grow all the way through winter.
Starting to ramify and bulk up a little. I will likely remove the right hand lowest branch.
Just leaving it at the moment to keep some strength in the tree...

Will probably just continue to grow and refine this one before assuming a more natural - upright rather than down facing branch structure in the medium term..

It's funny though as I've observed mature Torolusa with upright branches as well as some downward pointing ones.

Pictures are front, back and new angle...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Torulosa usually does grow throughout winter too, albeit slower... Well, in Sydney area it does anyway. Yeah, most the of the Torulosa around our area grow with branches gradually going upwards. Occasionally you see them drooping down, but not common.
Just remember, to be careful with casuarina not to have multiple branches from the same juncture, as they are quite prone to bulging.
Sorry I still haven't posted any pics of our cas's from around here yet.... I just keep forgetting while i'm on the walks to take some snaps.

I'll try to be conscious and remember next time, as my son and I usually go for walks once a week at least in the national park.
I just had to remove one from our backyard about 3 months ago, because the base was rotting, and it was leaning badly. It was only being held up by a nearby tree. Man! ... do these things weigh a tonne. The wood is VERY heavy, more so than any of the other natives in our area.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

bonsaibuddyman wrote: Just remember, to be careful with casuarina not to have multiple branches from the same juncture, as they are quite prone to bulging.
Was thinking the same in regards to that lower branch inside the bend in the trunk; had that problem with a cas of mine (bulging).
I like the new angle. :tu:
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Looking good...I want to post some pictures for you from India of casuarinas that really impressed me.
10644816_10201511573191265_665467644566518366_n.jpg
casuar78541992165665_o (1).jpg
casuar5871866_o.jpg
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

GavinG wrote:Interesting thoughts BBM. I think we can take interesting angles and shapes, colours and textures from otherwise boring trees, and put them together into something worth looking at. I'd be interested to see photos of your local Cas to see how they grow. Are there any old ones up there?

Gavin
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=18669

All up for you Gav.
Last edited by Rory on September 25th, 2014, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Boics »

Update.

I did end up repotting this one into a Lorraine Simpson pot (I think it was Spring).
It was certainly a few months ago anyway... Thankfully it has pulled through this process and after taking some updated pics this is how it looks as of the other day...

1. I can see from the photo that some of the branches need wiring to more sympathetically align to their peers.
2. Beyond this I have been working on ramification via much pinching.
3. I'm also trying to balance areas and negate the apical dominance of this species.

Always happy to hear thoughts, suggestions, views.

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”