She-Oak, Australian Pine
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Allocasuarina Littoralis [Ryceman3]

Post by Ryceman3 »

I bought this tree almost 2 years ago as tubestock from a native co-op nursery on the Bellarine Penninsula. As with all tubestock - it wasn't really much when I got it (and still isn't really!) but I reckon it has advanced a bit since then and so I thought I'd post it to keep tabs on it's progression. Not sure the styling I have done to date will go down that well with those that are into natives, but I will put in a disclaimer that it was one of the first trees I have worked on so it is a product of the start of my trip down bonsai lane.
This species seems to be a pretty decent grower, and pretty forgiving in many respects. It gets the same fert/water treatment as all my trees currently which doesn't seem to suit some natives, but doesn't bother this one or the other 2 Littoralis I picked up at the same time. Would definitely recommend these as a potential bonsai candidate if you see them in your travels and are looking for more stock!
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Re: Allocasuarina Littoralis [Ryceman3]

Post by wattynine »

Hi Ryceman, mate, I'm gonna say, nice start.
Obviously this is a young tree and you've not given us a long term plan as to size or growth, so I will say again, nice start.
I think ( :imo: ) movement is more important then a style at this point in you trees life, that is "style" will come from this movement and I hazard a guess this will be "moved" more and more over the next years. It is far more difficult I think to have a straight "stick in a pot" that has been left too long, not only to get movement but then to perceive a style.
you have made a great start.
Likewise, yes, I think the Casuarina and Allo-Casuarina are a very under utilised tree in our young bonsai culture and should be a primary tree for Australia future.
sorry bit of a rant there :aussie: :aussie:
Well done
Watty
zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

I like it alot [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hey Watty,
Thanks for your take on it... and in many respects (probably all) you are bang on the money!
My initial reasoning behind bending it was because I had wire and I could, like I said it was one of my first trees so it got the full treatment, but as you say, even though I was experimenting I figured any movement in the trunk was better than none so I went for it.
My most recent plan for this tree may involve teaming it up with the other two I mentioned in a small group planting, but that'll be at least a year away and I guess that means 12 months to change my mind. First I need the pot, and the intestinal fortitude to go ahead with it - we'll see!
Thanks for your interest/feedback. Like you say, it's a young tree - anything could happen from here! :yes:

Thanks for the feedback Zim, glad you like it. I reckon it has come a fair way in just 2 years.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Had a bit of time this morning, the sun was beckoning and this was looking a bit overgrown so I got to work and gave it a clip/wire to get ready for Spring ... which is now under 24 hours away!!?!
This is probably as ruthless as I have been on this tree so hopefully I haven't gone too hard and it will bounce back with new growth. I might look at making a small group planting (with this tree and the two other Littoralis I picked up at the same time) when it comes time to repot later this year ... maybe, we'll see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Had a bit of time again this arvo so had a go at one of the other Littoralis I picked up at the same time as the one above. I'm kinda steering away from the group planting I was thinking about ... (this week...!)
Anyhow - a before and after below. The original tree has budded out nicely since it's chop 3 weeks ago - hoping this one will do the same. Will try and get some work done on the last one in the next week or so. I plan to repot them all in about 5-6 weeks and want them to be primed and ready for that.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

The last of the Allocas. Littoralis from this batch. This one has a nice base on it, looking forward to getting a bit more growth and branch structure this summer.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Well done Ryce,

3 nice looking trees :clap:

Just a thought from afar - the tallest tree on the left would look equally good with the highest left branch removed.
Just my :2c:

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on October 27th, 2017, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Cheers Kevin,
I reckon a jin will come into play with that tree at some stage so you could be on to something. For now I'll let it have it's head and keep thinking!
Thanks for your feedback.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Just thought I'd post an update of the tree I gave a trim and wire back in late October. 2 months later and I have removed the wire as it was getting a bit tight and will now give a bit of a trim to shape again in the coming days ... When I get time!
It hasn't really missed a beat and all 3 of these are looking pretty healthy at the moment, I'm happy with how they are going.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the update, very interesting progression.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Watto wrote:Thanks for the update, very interesting progression.
Cheers Watto, I post it up as much for my own record as anything else but I'm glad you're enjoying the progression. I'll keep posting as stuff worth posting occurs!
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Ryceman ,
Great progress in such a short time. Well done ,have enjoyed the trip ...Cheers John.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum

Post by Boics »

Good thread ryce - nice!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Thanks Boom & Boics.
I really like this species, they seem to be suited to bonsai and are pretty forgiving. Highly recommend them!

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”