Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Casuarina for Virtual

Post by Pup »

Jamie wrote:heres take 2 pup :D

more what you were thinking. I havent angled the branches as severe as your virt :D
virt for pup 2.jpg
if that aint what your after i will do another :D

Jamie :D
Thanks Jamie please try another for it it is interesting what you and others suggest no one has offered to take of my hands yet :!: :roll: :twisted:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Greth »

Sorry, Pup, wouldn't buy it, I have better Cas starters from my airlayer experiments, another 40 from seed now, and a few in the paddock which would also do well if I could bring myself to dig them!
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Greth wrote:Sorry, Pup, wouldn't buy it, I have better Cas starters from my airlayer experiments, another 40 from seed now, and a few in the paddock which would also do well if I could bring myself to dig them!

:lol: :lol: :lol: You're a brave girl!!! :P
Regards Antonio:
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

If I was brave or bold I would dig the paddock ones, but there are so few on our property, I know they are really valuable as revegetation, so I hesitate and probably will never dig them up. I could bring myself to airlayer bits for bonsai, not kill the main tree, so in the end that is probably the way I will go.
My first job was with the CSIRO, working with casuarina, learning about their nitrogen fixing ability, I actually learnt a lot about their place in ecosystems, and have enormous respect for them now.
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
Gareth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Gareth »

pup, how do you get around the soft nature of the timber, how do u stop it from rotting, lime sulphur, wood hardener?

i have endless opportunities to dig she oaks, and want to know how to turn a stump into something worth the name Bonsai/
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

Soft? Maybe young branches. I have been cutting it for firewood lately with a hand saw and its harder than our mallee..
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Gareth when I have carved my trees I seal them by fire, from a blow torch ( very carefully with a wet towel or similar over live foliage ) then put some Lime sulphur with a minute drop of Sumi or India ink to make it more of a silver grey colour unless it is a hollow then I put enough ink to make it black.

I usually let the wood dry some before I finish the carving as it ages the wood better for detailed work. As I am not into self portrait sculptures. Because the wood would then need a lot longer to cure.

Here is an update on this project. Some different angles.
P1100304.JPG
P1100305.JPG
P1100306.JPG
P1100308.JPG
P1100309.JPG
Some refine needed but I will let the tree rest and recuperate for a while.

Cheers :) Pup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

G,day after two months of growth the tree is really popping so today I decided it needed to be put in a pot to see how it will look. So here we are. As you can see in two months it has put out some nice growth for me to choose from. It is also very close to my design so that is a bonus.

Here are today's pics.
P1100770.JPG
P1100771.JPG
P1100772.JPG
P1100773.JPG
The tree is now sitting in a solution of Superthrive, you could use seasol, in the shade as the temp is 32 so it will need some watching. This is Allocasuarina fraseriana, indigenous to the south west of WA

Cheers :D Pup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Good job Pup. Good vision to look beyond the stump that you had and create what you have in front of you now. I wish cas's would grow that well for me in Central Vic but, alas, they dont. :(
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Hi Pup, very nice progress mate. I remember seeing this tree when it was a stump and just after you had finished the carving (which you did an awesome job on) and just the other day i was lucky enough to see the new growth aswell,,, what a transformation! I think its going to turn out to be another masterpeice when your finished with it, Great work Pup, thanks for sharing your skills and knowledge,, :D :D Craig
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

G, day peeps this is an update on this tree. It still has a way to go, but I had to do some shoot selection. As leaving all the shoots would not allow the ones I want to thicken.
So I have done that with a small amount of carving as well. I am looking at a possible change of viewing angle also. The next re pot will see the tree lowered a bit more into the pot, so the root spread is better. At the moment it is just looking like claws and not spreading enough. What ya reckon.
P1100996.JPG
P1100997.JPG
P1100998.JPG
P1100999.JPG
P1110001.JPG
P1110003.JPG
P1110004.JPG
P1110005.JPG
P1110006.JPG
I will now wait and let it push more growth and let the wood dry out, so it creates natural cracks and splits to follow with the chisels.

Cheers :D Pup

Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Great work Pup. Any chance of an update on this one?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Your wish is my command :whistle: , today is the first meeting for the year, of the Bonsai workshop inc. So I will be taking it along for some thinning out and more branch refining.

I think for less than 1 year we are not doing too bad. attachment=0]P1110164.JPG[/attachment]
Last edited by Pup on January 29th, 2011, 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

It is looking great Pup. Those branches have thickend well. I might have to get hold of a stump and see if I can do as well :tu:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

I liked the look of it in the second last of the previous set of photos. How does it look from that angle these days? Good taper and good roots

Return to “Casuarina and Alocasuarina”