Lee W.

BOTANIC NAME
Kunzea Ambigua

COMMON NAME
Tick Bush

NOTE

BACKGROUND

SUN
Full sun or morning to early afternoon sun.

TEMPERATURE
Grows robustly in Sydney. Has not objected to near zero to 40 degree heat range.

WATERING
Likes water, likes moist roots. Will wilt if too dry but bounces back readily. On hot summer days check moisture level mid afternoon if plant is in full sun. Can be grown using a water tray but as long as the soil is kept moist it is not as thirsty as a callistimon.

TRAINING
It is fine for wiring, bark is not too tender and tree is not a rapid grower. Branches are reasonably pliable when young but harden in the season and then wiring can be difficult.
The above picture shows a $9 stock plant from bonsai nursery. The naturally curvy trunk caught my eye. Healthy when I got it and it just keeps growing. This pot is a prototype from Mudlark Pottery in Toronto. It needs more than a conventional pot as I want it to look as tho it is growing out of a rocky outcrop, 'escaping' from its confines. (September 2008)
FERTILISING
Native Osmocote when planting and Charlie Carp at intervals. Not overly hungry.

REPOTTING
Annually. Advice is to repot natives when dormant but I trim back new foliage if it is growing and repot mainly in spring or fall. I have been purchasing neglected trees and I repot immediately, regardless of time of year, into a very open soil mix. The tree can take several months to recoup but will grow strongly. Trees under regular care don't turn a leaf at repotting. The Kunzea has a fine fibrous root system similar to azalea's.

PROPAGATION

PESTS OR DISEASES
Webs tend to develop in denser foliage in the warmer months. Hand remove them. Other than that I have had no trouble with the plant and am not too fussed about spraying it with insecticide.

COMMENTS
Hedge prune to get foliage pads but individually clip shoots before showing. Develops foliage pads quickly. The Kunzea does not readily shoot back on old wood. The tree can quickly become shaggy and trimming will remove flower buds. Should have small flowers highly suitable to a small bonsai... but the shaggy look would not be.

When trimming the foliage must be finger combed to get the longer shoots that intertwine in the foliage pad.

Petite foliagae makes this a lovely tree to bonsai.
Sale stock at at western suburbs nursery, in very poor condition. Dry, so dry.
Kunzea Ambigua by Lee W.
January 2005
In 18 months it was lovely. Fast developer as long as branches are not to extended as it never shot back on old wood.
Kunzea Ambigua by Lee W.
July 2007
After wiring in the same month.
Kunzea Ambigua by Lee W.
July 2007
Last edited by gocny on November 12th, 2008, 2:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Kunzea”