NaturalSelection
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs Mels Olives
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none yet

Syzygium Direction

Post by NaturalSelection »

Looking for advice and ideas on the future of this Lilly Pilly.
Collected last spring, it was about 400mm tall until last week.
Lilly Pilly 2010.jpg

thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NaturalSelection
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Syzygium Direction

well anyway....
here is the direction i have taken it . . .
(its been growing on, wired like this all grow season.)
SZG1.jpg
SZG2.jpg
SZG3.jpg
SZG4.jpg
SZG5.jpg
SZG6.jpg
SZG7.jpg
SZG8.jpg
SZG9.jpg
any thoughts n ideas??

cheers
NS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NaturalSelection on April 1st, 2011, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Gday NS!

Certainly looks like it enjoys your climate!

This tree could be a candidate for an informal broom-style tree if you can address the lack of radial roots at the back. While on the subject of roots: your nebari has a great spread generally, but it is a little coarse and open at the moment. As a firm believer that it is never to early to start working towards good root-flare, I reckon you could afford to pot it deeper again, try something like this, or fill the hollows beneath the main roots with chopped sphagnum. (I wonder if the latter suggestion would help you to create buttress roots...)

Thanks, and good luck!

FlyBri.
lennard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Club: Rustenburg bonsai Kai

Post by lennard »

I like the idea of the exposed roots but you will have to decide what you are going to do with the top growth very soon because there are too many - and that will lead to taper problems later on.

Even if you go for a umbrella/broom you only need three to five main branches.

Lennard
For information on African species and my progression in bonsai visit : http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspot.com/
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

Looks like there are many directions you could take with that one. I have one of these varieties myself and it has proven to be a vigorous grower. i like the roots and would do a lot to preserve and develop them further. When I have exposed the roots on some of my other Syzigium, they have dried up and turned black :palm: so I keep them covered until they are well developed enough to take exposure but my climate is a little different to yours. Have fun with it
NaturalSelection
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Thanks for the comments :)
A few months ago when i wired it i picked 5 main branches, it is hard to see them in the pics above....
I just refined the excess branches, here it is now.
S15a.jpg
S15b.jpg
(yes its very thirsty!, much water after these shots ;) )
NS
NaturalSelection
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

FlyBri wrote:Gday NS!

Certainly looks like it enjoys your climate!

This tree could be a candidate for an informal broom-style tree if you can address the lack of radial roots at the back. While on the subject of roots: your nebari has a great spread generally, but it is a little coarse and open at the moment. As a firm believer that it is never to early to start working towards good root-flare, I reckon you could afford to pot it deeper again, try something like this, or fill the hollows beneath the main roots with chopped sphagnum. (I wonder if the latter suggestion would help you to create buttress roots...)

Thanks, and good luck!

FlyBri.
Hey FlyBri, :) Firstly, Thanks for your thoughts, ideas and knowledge! . . .

Indeed informal broom-style is its headed direction. As for the roots, i am interested to see what is going on under the soil... when i repot it later this year i think i will be removing all the hard leggy leftovers (underneath), trying to create a flat bottom with a nice radial spread... (all depends on whats going on under the soil).. Now you have mentioned it, i agree it could be potted a little deeper again.. also Shagnum in the gaps..
...Hey wow wouldn't it be cool if those roots became of buttress style!!!! can only hope!!! thanks for your thoughts mate!
NS

Return to “Syzygium”