NaturalSelection
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs Mels Olives
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none yet

Defoliation!

Post by NaturalSelection »

I'm wondering how many different types of native trees can be fully defoliated!? (Given the right season and location.)

To be specific i want to defoliate a Syzygium i have and treat it like a fig! (it's amazingly healthy, due for a repot next spring). When i collected it 2 years ago, it came back from much worse......

anyone done the same with knowledge to share?
cheers
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Defoliation!

Post by Craig »

:gday: NS. , go for it mate, you can defol Syzgium with no problems. If you wish you can leave only the very smallest leaves on the tree, they can always be removed later on :yes:
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Most are pretty hardy, I bought an advanced nursery stock tree with a trunk approx 10cm at ground level and flat chopped it like an olive. It has thumped away so hard I am constantly rubbing off unwanted shoots. If this rain ever stops I will get a pic for you.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

I have done it with them and Olives and Grewias, as well as figs, so it should not be a problem on a healthy tree.

One tree I did do, and it did not recover was a Natal Plum. I was very dissapointed about that have not been able to find another decent one either.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
siddhar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine,Cedar,Maple, Elm
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by siddhar »

I have done it with them and Olives
Do Olives respond well to being defoliated Pup?
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be like water, my friend.”

Regards, Sidd.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

siddhar wrote:
I have done it with them and Olives
Do Olives respond well to being defoliated Pup?
Mine have at this time of year on healthy trees, some times they are a bit slow but they do go well.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

I was a bit off on measurements, the base is 15cm across at ground level, height is just under 40cm. It was flat cut in August and has just gone from strength to strength. Roots are showing at the drainage holes & a few have even grown above the soil level thanks to the constant rain we have been getting.
100_3593rz.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Pup wrote:I have done it with them and Olives and Grewias, as well as figs, so it should not be a problem on a healthy tree.

Defoliating Grewias.....I should have realised given that they are virtually deciduous here. Thanks for that little tidbit Pup.

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist

Return to “Syzygium”