LillY Pilly
Slothman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Starting back into Bonsai - Some real beginner questions

Post by Slothman »

Gday.

Well it has been a long time since I attempted Bonsai of any concentrated interest. I had some when I was 12-15 (Figs, junipers) but after moving out of hourse and leaving them in my Dad's care they where destroyed. Time had me always looking at the books etc but never losing the want to get back into it.

Well I have decided now is the time. Apparently my Dad has lost my old tool kit so I am effectively starting from scratch. I will be buying some basic shears and concave branch cutter and some wire in the coming days and have been wandering around the local nurseries to get a feel of what is around.

To be short...not much. I have access to Bunnings ( I know) and one or two smaller nurseries with VERY limited stock. A handful of conifers, no junipers and a decent selection of Lillypillys. Actually bunnings also had some respectable Figs in pots. Perth is 4 hours drive away and I visit rarely, so I will use what I have available.

So it comes down to LillyPillys.

I have found various varieties with some interesting trunk structure and in good health. The goal is simple. Get back into this slowly, learning as I go again and not to over extend my time etc.

I plan on getting some tools in the coming weeks and buying one of the Syzygium I have seen in Bunnings, particular variety escapes me right now although there where a few decent ones for $15.

I don't intend on repotting for a while (a year or so) as I want to get back into the habbit of pruning and shaping while they are in their established pots. Lets crawl before I run a marathon.

I have been reading up on principles etc for shaping again however the biggest question I have is as follows.

Having never worked with Syzgium before how aggressive can I be in the "cutting back"?
Is there a recovery period I should be aware of the with these plants?

I don't want to be overly aggressive as I need to take my time to reteach my self shapes, styles and techniques. I would like to cut back a few branches, strip some leaves and leave it a week or two. Wait until I see some new growth and than do some more until I am confident with the shape I desire.

So this is more of a learning plant until I am confident again. Is there anything wrong with this approach?
arklan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Starting back into Bonsai - Some real beginner questions

Post by arklan »

why dont u just air layer a native or dig one up?
Slothman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Slothman »

arklan wrote:why dont u just air layer a native or dig one up?
*opened mouth to respond...than realised not a bad point*

Hmmm...interesting thought starting to belt through my head.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G,day Slothman, Lillypilly are very hardy, I have actually grown one from a root. I have looked though my older posts but cannot find it. We did have some issues when we changed server so it might have got lost.

Also any of the Melaleucas woolybush, are good natives Casuarinas all natives and all good bonsai material.

Cheers Pup, next time you come to Perth let me know.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Slothman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Slothman »

The local woolybush.

Our golf course is COVERED in them....

I freaking hate them :p

I did see an awesome example somewhere on here, I just could not bring myself to attempt that, I would be forever searching underneath for the hundreds of golf balls those things have stolen from me :)

Return to “Syzygium”