LillY Pilly
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: SYZYGIUM-LILLY PILLY

Post by Dario »

Thanks Craig, I appreciate that you will post a pic even though as you said it is not one of your favourite trees.
One of the reason I asked for an update is because I entered a Lilly Pilly in the shohin comp and I am curious to see how fast they develop (I have heard they grow pretty quickly)...so I am interested in seeing how yours has developed.
I have searched the lilly pilly posts but haven't found the answer to what I am looking for...do you know if the cuts heal ok in terms of the bark rolling over etc?
I unfortunately had to cut off quite a few thickish branches on mine (will update my comp. post v soon), and I think I recall reading somewhere that this species doesn't heal cuts very well? Any info regarding this would be great.
I hope your tree is doing ok!
Thanks Craig, Dario.
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Pup's pretty good with lilly pilly- viewtopic.php?f=138&t=8263&p=92241&hili ... ime#p91853 - maybe he'll throw you some pointers.
I have healed lilly pilly cuts perfectly, i was critisied for using my cut paste too thin , but i believe it the way to do it,
Pic to come tomorrow hopefully :yes:
Repot1-jan-2010.jpg
Repot2-jan-2010.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Craig on November 3rd, 2011, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

This is how these trees look today,
100_3576.JPG
100_3575.JPG
And the wound is just about completely gone, the original cut paste is still intact.
100_3577.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Craig, thanks very much for updating so promptly! It sure is coming along and I believe with a little more time it will be very nice...are you going to use that shoot at the base as a sacrifice to fatten the left trunk a little more?
I am really pleased to learn that the cuts heal well. I must have got my species confused on the query about them possibly not doing a good job in that department.
Thanks for the close ups of the healing process...good job. Roughly how long has it taken to get the bark rolling to that degree on this tree?
Thanks again, Dario.
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

:beer: Cheers Dario, from the pics i have , i cut and sealed that wound in early August 2010, i have a pic on the 1st August uncut and October already rolling over :yes: .
I claim to be no expert, but if the cut isn't clean and done correctly ,it will take alot longer to start healing smoothly. The most amount of care should be taken and a bit of luck doesn't go astray either.

For those that aren't aware :: Cuts should be made like no#1, because the sap generally flow up and down the trunk,

When the cut is made like no#2-across the trunk- the sap flow is interupted and the wound heals slower, hope that makes sense :yes:

p.s- that cut was 20mm across.
cuts.JPG
untitled666666.JPG
Last edited by Craig on November 4th, 2011, 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edit

Return to “Syzygium”