LillY Pilly
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

SYZYGIUM-LILLY PILLY

Post by Craig »

HI EVERYONE THIS IS A LILLY PILLY GROUP OF THREE TREES,IT WAS PART OF A 7 TREE GROUP BUT SADLY THE OLDEST TREE DIED A WHILE AGO.THE TRUNKS ARE ABOUT 30MM,30MM AND 27MM THICK,, HEIGHT OF GROUP ABOUT 600MM,, WIDTH ABOUT 800MM,,THE GROUP STILL NEEDS ALOT OF WORK BUT GIVEN TIME, I'M SURE IT'LL START TO LOOK BETTER.I DONT REALLY THINK THE PICS DO IT JUSTICE. THE LEAVES ARE STILL RATHER LARGE AS I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING ABOUT LEAF SIZE REDUCTION YET, WHAT YOU THINK? cHEERS CRAIG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Craig on July 29th, 2010, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonzaidog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus,olives,bougies
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop Inc, Bonsai Society of WA

Re: SYZYGIUM-LILLY PILLY

Post by bonzaidog »

Hi Craig...I think for this group to progress,It could be time to make some decisions in the pruning/branch arrangement department,to get a bit more definition from each individual tree ,and even vary the height. To add a bit more interest, maybe a smaller pot or even a slab could change the whole feel alltogether!(just by 2 bobs worth)....oh and one last bit ....KNOCK YOUR CAPS LOCK OFF!!! :lol: :) ....DOG.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I agree with the Dog

Looks like a bit of and out of control Jungle there. Get so trimmers to itand get some ramification and definition happening

Also agree,,forget the Caps Please,, Caps on, is a form of shouting and I aint deaf yet :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

Thanks for your input Dog and Ken, and i'm sorry about the capslock thing i didn't know it was a no no,. I never really knew what to to with these trees and now that youv'e pointed out a few things(jungle,ramification,definition, i can see i'm going to need to take a very serious look at them,.At the moment it really just looks like 3-sort of trees- in a pot,, Not exactly sure what i'm going to do yet, but if you have any suggestions, i'd love to hear them, thanks Craig
bonzaidog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus,olives,bougies
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop Inc, Bonsai Society of WA

Post by bonzaidog »

:) All good,Craig! a couple of simple things to improve the look of this group,would be a shallow oval pot,to suit the feminine feel of the trees,and to prune the trees so you have the tallest tree forward of the other progressivly smaller ones(some repositioning will be required of course)...a really informative site concerning group settings is bonsai4me..-go to advanced techniques and check out "group plantings" and,also the "application of art principles to Bonsai"...it will give you an in depth explaination of what you are trying to achieve and how to do it! 8-) ....Dog.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

The mjor tree need to be tallest, ( and as Dog says,) preferrably in from ot the others.
The outline of the canopies of all the trees shoud make a nice pleasing Shape, moving from the Smallest to largest then back down the other side. Almost a triangle or Smooth curve

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

Thanks for the feedback guys, i think you've made some valid points there and your totally right. Time for me to actually put my heart into styling these trees,i'll need to have a nice hard think about what i want to do with them. Thanks again and i'll post again when sorted,,, Craig
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

Hi everyone, Avary kind man by the name of Rod has taken the time to do this virt for me. I like it ,thanks Rod. So i've decide to style my trees around this virt. So far i have shortened the tree on the right about 250mm,this tree will make the smallest tree-height and trunk.I wired up a new leader for it. The tree on the left, i have thinned out and removed some branches. This tree will make the 2nd tree-height. The tallest trre will be the rear one, it has quite a thick upper trunk fork and some ugly unhealed wounds. I've taken only a small amount of branches/foliage off at the moment till i further gather my thoughts on what i want from it. Cheers Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

That man is gold!!! Dont ever let anyone tell ya otherwise!!! Great virt again my man... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Regards Antonio:
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

:gday: , i have never really been happy with the look of this Lilly pilly group, so a couple of weeks ago i decided to repot and seperate out one of them.
I have rearranged the 2 remaining trees into this 2 tree setting, which for now i'm quite happy with, there are alot of things to do still including a full length Shari down the main(left) tree, which i'm in the process of doing right now... Planted in this pot -370x250x85mm , the group stands approx 580mm high x 500mm wide and about 370mm front to rear(depth), new leaves are about to show themselves, :wave: ,I will post a better pic soon, any comments always welcome, cheers :beer:
Lilly pilly restyling2-2011.jpg
Lilly pilly restyling1-2011.jpg
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Hi Craig
3 trees are hard enough to pull off as a group but 2 is near impossible. I find the more trees in a group the less your eye settles on one thing. ATM these 2 trees look too much like they have been individually trimmed and sat next to each other instead of having grown next to each other. :imo: I would gather more trees and make a larger group and have variation in height that the 3 tree group didn't.

Tony
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Tony Bebb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers/Pines
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Queensland Inc.

Post by Tony Bebb »

Hi Craig

Just seen this thread and sorry I missed it. Shame you seperated the three, but no point advising now on that. I will say that the two look fine together and will get better, but I would remove the first branch on the main tree to give better direction as it competes with the opposite branch and is virtually the same level. First branch usually suits better on smaller tree and I think will suit this arrangement better. Perhaps bringing the trunks closer together at the top also.

Best Regards

Tony
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Click here to visit my Blog - A Bonsai Journey
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

:wave: Thanks Tony and Tony, I will be moving the 2 trees closer together sometime soon and i'll seriously consider taking the first left branch off :tu2: ,
Bougy Tony i won't be finding more trees to make this group bigger , :shake:
and Tony B , i still have the 3rd tree here growing by itself,,

Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated :tu:
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Craig, I was wondering how this Lilly Pilly is doing...any chance of a progress report?
Cheers, Dario.
Craig
Banned
Banned

Post by Craig »

Dario wrote:Hi Craig, I was wondering how this Lilly Pilly is doing...any chance of a progress report?
Cheers, Dario.

Hi Dario, i will post a pic for u very soon mate, this is not one of my favourite trees ;)

Return to “Syzygium”