collected melaleuca

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Re: collected melaleuca

Post by Neli »

I repotted several melaleukas in the past two weeks but did not root reduce them much. I have kept them in the shade since. They are all doing well. Not sure if it is OK for your conditions though...but they should me almost the same this time.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, hawthorn
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Post by matty-j »

Just thought i would give this one a quick update, it was grown quite well since collection. I let the top extend for about a year before cutting back so some sections are about 15mm thick now. soon i will be wiring the tree, looking at the nebari and deciding on a front. I think I will go down the road of carving to introduce better taper. when spring arrives, i will repot into a diatomite, zeolite and pumice mix. then after the tree has recovered I will do some carving

thoughts, a dive or ideas are more than welcome.

Cheers
Matt
IMG_5405.jpg
IMG_5406.jpg
IMG_5408.jpg
IMG_5409.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right.”
― Vincent van Gogh
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

G'Day Matt,

I really like the trunk! We have trees up here where with a similar bark but the leaves are much bigger and longer... the only thing that stopped me from trying it!
Cheers
Elmar
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Elmo most melaleucas will reduce in size with pruning. I have managed to get the leaves of qinquinerver down to 4mm. So it is worth a try if it is easy to dig. Cheers pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

I might take some pictures, if I get half a chance to see if we're talking about the same tree. I may be mistaken...
However the specimen are full grown so I would have to air layer a branch - if these lend themselves to that procedure.
Think I may have left it a bit late, tho for this year!

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

I have lots of melaleukas and lots of them inspired by Pup. I like the way Pup styles his , sort of in a natural way. many people like natural styles, but for me bonsai= art so everything goes.
I have been observing them a lot and the main features I noticed on the few varieties I have similar to yours are that:
Melaleuka like this has tiny leaf that reduces also very much
Branches that are shaded by foliage above die.
It can be hedged tight and back buds very well forming tight pads.
Branches are flexible for some time .
Why am I saying that? It is because this qualities and its appearance are very similar to Baeckea being styled in Malaysia.
I like how the malaysian master Matyie Che Machtar styles baeckea,
1-74243_170596352966916_3466640_n.jpg
I know this style is representative of Asian cultures, but I find it very beautiful.
Notice how the pads are created. He is a personal friend of mine and I have seen how he styles them. He grows the main structure like primary and secondary branches with the pads being mostly horizontal, and after that starts hedging them with a scissors. He makes sure he creates good movement on the primary and that all pads receive good light. Most tertiary are growing upwards.
Also what I noticed that individual pads are composed of smaller sub pads. If you look at Charles Ceronio book, Bonsai styles of the world, where the African style Pierneef is describes, the branch structure is very similar.
1-74243_170596352966916_3466640_n.jpg
I have also tries to style mine Like junipers. He he he!
What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Neli on April 25th, 2015, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Neli wrote: I have also tries to style mine Like junipers. He he he!
What do you think?
I think they look great, not like what I have seen here but seriously very nice looking trees! :tu:
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, hawthorn
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Post by matty-j »

It has been almost 2 years since I collected this tree so I thought it was about time I gave this tree its first repot. I didn't wash out the clay when i collected it so I knew repotting this was going to be an issue.
I started the repot last night and realised that the clay was rock solid!! so I soaked the tree overnight in seasol and attempted to finish it today.
I realised later that night it was going to be +38 degrees over the next few days ........... :palm:
I washed off all the clay and finished the repotting it tonight.

A question tho, should i give this a hard prune :?:

Cheers
Matt
IMG_6363.jpg
IMG_6366.jpg
IMG_6368.jpg
IMG_6385.jpg
“The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right.”
― Vincent van Gogh

Return to “Australian Native Species”