Can I use this tree

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Bonsai*beginner
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Can I use this tree

Post by Bonsai*beginner »

Hello I have a syzygium in the back yard that I was thinking about doing some aerial laying to in the hope of making it into a bonsai in the future , I am a novice at bonsai ,but interested to have a go . Is syzygium a good tree to do this to , I know it will take a while but so be it .what are your thoughts .John .
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Can I use this tree

Post by shibui »

Of course you can use your Syzigium for bonsai. If you scroll down from the home page you will find a list of major topics. Natives is the first one and in there you'll find another list of topics fro individual species. Syzigium has its own heading with 35 threads from others who are growing Syzigium as bonsai or who want to. Have a browse through those and see if anything is relevant or just type Syzigium or Lily Pily in the search box - top right of the screen to find other threads on this site.

Syzigium grows readily as cuttings so you shouldn't have too much trouble layering some pieces. Just don't bother layering boring straight sections unless you really want to grow boring straight bonsai. Best bonsai layers are somewhere below a major branch which should give the new trunk some taper and/or bends.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi John
Mate, the fact that the lilly pilly is growing in your back yard makes it a perfect opportunity
Not only will you learn to airlayer but you get to do it at home. Way simpler than elsewhere.
What Neil [Shibui] said about branch bends and tapered sections from thicker to thinner branch is very important.
That will help you get a more interesting starter tree from the layer that's worth your time and effort later.
In my experience its not easy finding a good/interesting spot to layer syzgium so take your time
When you have your tools etc. prepared to do one layer I think its good to do a few backups.
After the tree is tapped of all its airlayering potential why not dig it up and see what the stump gives you.
Airlayering or collecting syzgium up your way is probably good any time of year.
Here in Sydney about now is my preferred time.
Hope you can get a good tree out of it.
cheers
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Syzygium in general should have no problems air layering. Do you know what species or cultivar it is? There are over 1000 Syzygiums species and 100's of cultivars, some of which are very amenable to Bonsai culture. Some have very large leaves and course growth (S. jumbos, S. wilsonii) and would be hard to make bonsai from. If has small leaves already and a dense bushy habit it will be ideal. Good luck and have fun. :)
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Bonsai*beginner
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Bonsai*beginner »

Thanks to all ,at one time I did know what sort of lily pilli but lost the tag that was on it ,maybe one day it will come to me .

Return to “Australian Native Species”