white cedar Melia azedarach

A place to post and chat about Australian native species as Bonsai.
Joshua
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Club Montpellier

Re: white cedar Melia azedarach

Post by Joshua »

These are really common as street trees in an around Montpellier. I was wondering what they were for a few years and only now just found out by plugging some photos into plantnet. Funny to find out they come from Australia :)

I always really liked them as street trees because in winter, while the evergreens are just doing their thing, and the other deciduous trees look grey and sad after a while, these are covered in their golden fruits which hang on for months. When it's grey or rainy they take on this shine that makes them really stand out.

I never thought they might be good for bonsai because of the compound leaves but seeing this I might have to try them some day.
Perhaps could be interesting as bonsai for their flowers and winter fruit.

Thanks for the post. Looking forward to seeing some updates on this tree :)
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: white cedar Melia azedarach

Post by delisea »

Hey Josh,
Strange you posted this now. I was watching a cooking show last night from the south of France and noticed a white cedar in a garden!

Yes, my goal is to get a leaveless winter tree with yellow fruit...maybe next season?

I do not shy away from large compound leaves anymore, I think they actually work well. I have started mucking around with red cedar, Toona ciliata (deciduous, native, compound leaves) and think it might be a winner.

Have some pissaladière for me.
Cheers,
Symon

Return to “Australian Native Species”